• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandarin Oriental Hotel in SW

morela

Does anyone have feedback from staying/dining at their others of those around the globe?

5 stars is many.

It's supposed to open in a little more than a month on Southwest Waterfront (1330 Maryland Ave. SW). Lounge and Restaurant too (Though, I have no clue who is involved).

As date approaches, wld be interesting to hear what people know/see...

Does anyone have feedback from staying/dining at their others of those around the globe?

5 stars is many. 

It's supposed to open in a little more than a month on Southwest Waterfront (1330 Maryland Ave. SW).  Lounge and Restaurant too (Though, I have no clue who is involved).

As date approaches, wld be interesting to hear what people know/see...

These hotels in the far east are always named as the best in the world. They pick you up from the airport there in their Rolls. The BIG SECRET about their prime restaurant is that a BIG DEAL CHEF FROM NEW YORK was rumored to be the consulting chef. For a lux hotel, that sure is a strange location. Everyone who works there is mum at the moment.

Edited by Mark Sommelier (log)

Mark

For a lux hotel, that sure is a strange location. Everyone who works there is mum at the moment.

I was going to go more with "bizarre", "extremely odd", or just plain old "Huh?" for the location.

Granted the waterfront is somewhat nicer than it has been in recent times, but I'm still left scratching my head.

Anybody have insights as to why there?

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Cheap downtown property? Great honking big tax break for taking a "less desirable" location? I suspect a combination of both.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I had the pleasure of spending a celebratory weekend at the Kahala Mandarin in Hawaii. It was truly divine. The room was perfectly done without seeming overly opulent or out of synch with the Hawaiin setting. Lots of teak wood and the best coconut bath salts. I still request those when asked what I want for birthday presents. We had and amazing meal at Hoku's with a kiawe grilled tenderloin that melted in your mouth. The Hawaiian orchid vanilla ice cream on top of the berry cobbler banished any further use of the term "plain vanilla" from my vocabulary.

Cheap downtown property? Great honking big tax break for taking a "less desirable" location? I suspect a combination of both.

It would be interesting to see how much they got out of the city. Especially given the crap that Tony W. has been getting for tax breaks for the new convention center and plans for the old one among other deals.

Even with the lower prices, my take is that they have to be thinking that the waterfront will come around enough to attract the type of visitor willing to pay their prices. Wouldn't you much rather stay at 4Seasons in G'town and be able to walk around then the Waterfront, where I still watch my back VERY carefully after dark? Not to mention that there is a relative dearth of decent dining options down there.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

It must have a lovely view of the Jefferson and Washington Monument, and the waterfront has a ten year strategic plan that will turn it around. I suppose it's a good location for joggers and others who can run around Hains Point. It's really convenient to the airport as well. I have no doubt that they got major tax breaks to do it.

So, that may have been the thinking.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Veering dangerously off-topic, but here's the deal with the hotel development:

The Mandarin Oriental received $46 million in tax-increment financing (TIF) bonds. The project cost $144 million total. The way TIFs work is that they get paid back from a portion of the sales and property taxes generated from the project. These bonds got a good rating (A-), so it seems that at least Standard and Poor's thought it was a worthwhile project with relatively little risk.

The city has big, big stuff planned for that neighborhood over the next 10 years.

The city is using TIFs pretty aggressively to get the right mix of businesses and services within a given neighborhood. The big Gallery Place movie theater is another big TIF project.