• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Lunch Problem

adrober

i usually try to make extra food at dinner so me and the SO will have something for lunch the next day. but on the days when i didn't cook the night before, or worked at night so didn't have a chance to make a decent dinner, i'm stuck with being at the mercy of the university's food court. (i work at UCSD) there are only so many days of eating at rubio's before you start running away screaming at the thought of fish tacos (again!)

I picked up a habit a long time ago that I absolutely have to get out of the office for a little while and have a real lunch...

For me luch is all about getting out and ignoring work for a while and not having to talk to anyone after placing my order.  It snaps me when someone asks "where are you going for lunch?" because that means that I end up having to talk with someone for 45 minutes instead of being quiet.

amen

If I'm at home, I'll eat leftovers or something that I can make nice and fast--like scrambled eggs. Then I'll bake something in the afternoon and have a slice of that (usually pie or cake...sometimes cookies.)

If I'm at school, I'll usually have a meal replacement bar and a treat from the cafeteria--like a date square or a nanaimo bar. Just anything I can eat with one hand while taking notes. Today I forgot to bring a lunch so I had a microwaved samosa and a nanaimo bar from the cafeteria.

Edited by Ling (log)

I am pretty routine when it comes to lunch. I either takes last night's leftovers, or I have soup and salad. I usually go out for that. I like Au Bon Pain's soup and salads. In fact, I am eating both right now. :biggrin:

During the work week, my lunches are very boring: salad, or soup. One or two Fridays a month, I meet up with my husband at the local Italian joint, where we share a little pizza and each have a glass of bad Chianti. Today I had some yum talay from the new Thai place, a cuisine that my husband absolutely cannot tolerate.

Saturdays I am at school all day, so I usually bring another boring little salad, and some cheese and crackers.

Sunday, recently, has been all about using my new panini maker. :wub:

I try to keep my lunches on the small side, so I can enjoy a good meal in the evening.

Edited by s'kat (log)

One can avoid "office lunches" by brown bagging and making that interesting.

Exactly. Lunch for me is sometimes more elaborate than dinner as I'm usually hungrier at lunch and want something filling. I play racquetball for my lunch hour, then eat at my desk while working. I have leftovers (we have a microwave) and love them...no thin, pathetic sandwiches and carrot sticks for me. Today I will have homemade mushroom soup (my mom's), my sister's homemade seed bread toasted with butter, then my carrot cake for dessert. I also happen to work in downtown Seattle with all manner of noodle/pho shops around and other good stuff within walking distance. Lunch is definitely not a problem.

adrober, be thankful you don't work for a law firm (yet).

If I were at work, it would depend on whatever the cafeteria of horrors had. (When I was working out, I made it a mission to get my share of protein no matter what I had to sacrifice as far as taste was concerned. Then again, I'm not a picky eater.)

Now that I've fractured my heel, it's whatever I want, and lunch is whenever I want it. :biggrin:

Heel update: followup visit at St. Vincent's on 2/18.

Soba

Usually I don't eat lunch. If we ate less for dinner, I probably would, but dinner is our main event.

We usually cook breakfast on weekends, and never eat lunch on weekends. During the week, rarely do we eat breakfast, and at work sometime during the day, eat some fruit or a salad or some leftovers sometimes.

I can't imagine eating three full meals a day.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

I have a weakness for the many $2-5 options in my local area, we have a lot of Indian, Chinese, Korean and Thai restaurants and groceries around here. Unfortunately, a lot of my coworkers get turned off or intimidated by such things, and then lament the lack of good choices in local dining (we have a choice of non-western ethnic cuisines, or chain restaurants, in these parts.) More for me, I guess.

You want good eats, sometimes that means expanding your definition of what "good eats" is.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org