• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

One Last Meal - Philly

stephenc

Tony Luke's, for the full Philly sandwich experience -- cheesesteak (wiz wit), roast pork sandwich with aged provolone and broccoli rabe, an Italian hoagie and fries. It would be a big meal, but you ain't gonna get that anywhere else in this country.

Tony Luke's, for the full Philly sandwich experience -- cheesesteak (wiz wit), roast pork sandwich with aged provolone and broccoli rabe, an Italian hoagie and fries. It would be a big meal, but you ain't gonna get that anywhere else in this country.

Gotta admit, I've had the roast pork sandwich there, and it is pretty good.

But I much prefer the chicken cutlet with rabe.

Anyway, I agree on TL's. Slight change on the order:

screw the fries

Cheesesteak (I'm trusting everyone that theirs is pretty good)

Roast Pork with aged provo and spinach (getting rabe below)

Chicken Cutlet with rabe

If you can fit it after all that:

Italian hoagie from Chickie's

sausage sandwich with peppers and onions, either Chickie's or Shank & Evelyn's

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

But when I give it some thought, Carman's Country Kitchen

Sass on the side? :raz:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Very interesting. Tony Luke's was my top of mind choice too. And bottom of mind, as it turns out.

I'd follow Herb's menu almost exactly. Only instead of a chicken cutlet from Tony Luke's, I'd get the veal cutlet with rabe.

And instead of the sausage sandwich, I'd head over to Bassett's in Reading Terminal Market for a scoop of their chocolate malt ice cream. Ooh, that's good ice cream!

Here's the situation, you have one last meal in Philadelphia before you leave for good, never to return ever again. You can only choose ONE place. Don't even think about picking more than one. Where do you choose?

Tony Lukes, as long as I can include a stop at Bell Beverage for a case of Hop Devil.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Oh.

A cheesesteak at Geno's followed by an Italian hoagie at Sarcone's Deli, followed by a plain cheese pizza at Tacconelli's, because, of course, it's on the way out of town. Don't need no stinkin dessert.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

With only one place, I'd do John's Roast Pork for their signature sammie with aged provo and spinach (Mom thinks rabe's too bitter) and a cheesesteak loaded with all the glop they offer - I think they call it Italiano.

I'd guess they make a good Italian hoagie, too. The bread is certainly a treat.

Edited by Mummer (log)

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Dammit, I hate all of you!

I am dying reading this thread as I still have not made the Haj to Philly as its one of my lifelong dreams to stand in the street holding a cheesesteak in each arm (one from geno's/pats). Like Moses cradeling the 10 commandments I will proclaim that I...and only I will be the judge...But alas, its only still a fantasy!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

I am dying reading this thread as I still have not made the Haj to Philly as its one of my lifelong dreams to stand in the street holding a cheesesteak in each arm (one from geno's/pats). Like Moses cradeling the 10 commandments I will proclaim that I...and only I will be the judge...But alas, its only still a fantasy!

No need to suffer.

They sell cheesesteaks at the Farmer's Market in LA. And, extra special, the Farmer's Market version offers a choice of bean sprouts and avocado. :biggrin:

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Hot tip from my college son...who is a connoisseur of Philly cheese steaks (which can only be obtained in Philly)....forget Geno's.

THE place to go is the street vendor on the corner of Broad and Spruce, available only during lunch time.

Chris:

So what's stopping you?? Jump on US Air, hightail it here (wait 'til it warms up a bit. The weather lately might be shock to your beach loving sensibilities) and live out your cheesesteak fantasies.

We Brotherly Love types would be happy to show you come of the other haunts too. You can't leave without a Tony Luke's Roast Pork sammie and some good Taconelli's pizza. And a hoagie from Chickie's. Maybe a Surf 'n Turf dinner of Cheesesteaks followed by Crabs at Bonk's Bar? It'd be sacriledge to come so far and not do it ALL! :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Maybe a Surf 'n Turf dinner of Cheesesteaks followed by Crabs at Bonk's Bar? It'd be sacriledge to come so far and not do it ALL! :biggrin:

Don't confuse the guy from the West Coast.

In Philadelphia's finer restaurants, Surf and Turf is a hot dog with a fish cake crammed on top of it.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Maybe a Surf 'n Turf dinner of Cheesesteaks followed by Crabs at Bonk's Bar?  It'd be sacriledge to come so far and not do it ALL:biggrin:

Don't confuse the guy from the West Coast.

In Philadelphia's finer restaurants, Surf and Turf is a hot dog with a fish cake crammed on top of it.

Oh yeah! Forgot about those!

Quite right. I stand corrected.

Carry on...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

i'm with holly. carman's all the way.

i lived in philly for about ten years and now i live in seattle. i'm back in philly at least a couple of times a year and carman's is the one place i always make absolutely certain not to miss. love carman, love her food, love everything about the place.

(if i didn't think it were cheating, i might choose reading terminal market. but that doesn't really honor the one place dictum in the original question.)