• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

G.I. Joe

Mayhaw Man

The 25-year-old sergeant says he got the idea in a fit of desperation. As his unit prepared to deploy last summer, he realized that there would be no decent cappuccinos, maybe no decent coffee at all, in this high desert country.

And you thought that you had a hard time getting to a decent cup where you are.

This piece by Thomas E Ricks and Liz Spayd of the Washington Post shows that people will make do with what they have in order to get the caffeine they need.

G.I. Joe is a hit in the middle of the desert

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

The "other" Starbucks that is mentioned in the article in Kuwait is here, where I'm stationed. The worst thing about being here isn't the coffee (I get mine shipped to me), it's the food. The mess hall is the worst, and we don't have the facilities to cook our own. I've been tossing the idea around in my head to build a solar oven and use it to cook dutch-oven style.

Beto-

What do ya'll get to eat in the messhalls. Is it all pretty much prefab or are there some occasional (more or less) from scratch items? Are there some things that the soldiers actually look forward to in terms of what is served? What branch of the service are you in?

The headmaster at my son's school just got back from 9 months in Kuwait/Iraq and because of his job being on the move much of the time (Captain in a transport battalion) he said that the majority of what they had wre MRE's. My son's schoolmate's sent lots of stuff to him, but what could be sent was pretty limited.

He also brought a whole bunch of various MRE's to school last week and the class had them for lunch. I don't think that they were a very big hit, although they did seem impressed with the little tiny bottles of Tabasco (they are from Louisiana, after all :wink::laugh: ).

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...