• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen Candy Bars

Fat Guy

Quote: from A Balic on 1:48 pm on Nov.30,2001

Deep fried, fish flavoured chocolate bars are only one of many Scottish crimes against food, for example they also deep fry pizza (with or without battering first).

And I thought deep fried pickles were bizarre. But pizza too? Yikes.

Of course, people probably used to think that battered and deep fried jalapenos were strange too.

On the subject of deep frying, maybe someone should start a thread asking what the weirdest thing anyone has ever deep fried. Mine would probably be an entire pack of bubble gum, but that was quite by accident. I no longer place my fry daddy directly underneath the kitchen cupboards.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Quote: from A Balic on 10:48 am on Nov. 30, 2001

as they use the same oil that has been used to fry fish. Deep fried, fish flavoured chocolate bars are only one of many Scottish crimes against food

OK.  Anyone who recycles cooking oil for ANY reason is already going too far.  Is oil that expensive in Scotland?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

i don't know about candy bars, all of them taste way too salty for me, but i do like nougat, and i finally found some pretty good one, which is chewy and not too sweet, exactly how i like. It's sold through www.chefshop.com

Recently one of the food magazines ran an article about this nougat business of Sally Williams

• 2 weeks later...

re: Chocolate in ice cream

Having made homemade ice cream, here's a possible reason why most of the chocolate in ice cream is crappy chocolate.  When you use decent chocolate in ice cream it gets really really hard when frozen and also feels a little gritty. B&J (and others) use "chocolate flavored" chips or chunks that have a high percentage of oil in them because they are softer at frozen temperatures.

Any ice cream using decent chocolate tends to use the shaven form rather than chips or larger chunks. Here, I am thinking of Haagen Dazs - bought at a Haagen Dazs store, not from the supermarket. Specifically their double chocolate mint. The chocolate shavings are really small and taste much more chocolatey than other brands.

When you use decent chocolate in ice cream it gets really really hard when frozen and also feels a little gritty.
That explains why the chocolate coating on ice cream bars always tastes so bad to me. Years ago I noticed that the "stuff" was invariably loaded with coconut oil. We can get into the EU choclate wars pitting England against Belgium. I've been told by some residents of the UK that they actually prefer their chocolate when it's got vegetable oil mixed in place of cocoa butter.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

• 1 month later...
Quote: from stefanyb on 7:44 pm on Nov. 29, 2001

You haven't lived until you've tried a frozen Mallomar! The crunch, the sweetness,  the melt-in-your-mouth frozen marshmallow, the chewy cookie bottom, mmmmm.

Thanks for the tip, stefanyb. I don't go in for cookies much and I'd have walked passed the mountains of white and yellow boxes if they'd not been mentioned. Frozen Mallowmars are good.  And the chocolate on them is pretty decent in comparison to what's on most cookies.