• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Veal breast

Wilfrid

Picked up a big slab of breast of veal for a ridiculously cheap ū at the weekend.  I guess those bones in there are ribs, right?  Anyway I stripped the meat (and some of the copious fat) from two of the ribs and made a blanquette de veau, served with a plain pilaff.  The other rib I roasted whole, very slowly, having shrouded it in fresh tarragon.  Ate that last night with minted peas.

Have now taken on all my fat requirements for the winter, but I'd like to cook some more dishes with this fabulous, gluey stuff.  Any ideas gratefully received.

I wonder whether nuts go as well with veal as they do with pork. Anyway, I thought of this recipe from Anna MacMiadhacháin’s (quite a name) Spanish Regional Cookery. Basically, before rolling up the meat place crushed toasted almonds within, season in flour, brown in lard, add some sherry and a few shallots and stock. After cooking gently add cream. Serve with fried bread or creamy potatoes.

Wilfrid, "veal breast" describes a fairly large swath of the animal. It includes the lower end of the ribs and also a leaner portion. Usually you'll see the combination of the two parts of the breast labeled as "veal breast roast." One nice thing to do with this to make an incision between the ribs and the meat, stuff it, and roast it. Among some Jews, mushroom-stuffed veal roast is a traditional Shabbat dinner -- one of my favorite of all traditional Jewish foods. Sometimes you'll also see "veal riblets" or "veal breast riblets." These are great for braising. You can basically treat them as you would beef short ribs.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 5 years later...

A healthy breast of veal well trimmed and filled with cooked short grain rice, slivers of onion, chopped spinach, any sort of cheese you like, and maybe some prosciutto or country ham bits, browned then braised in white wine with aromatics is something that might be considered a food of the angels. Or the devils. Whichever seems right to you.

It will be good braised in a curry, just like breast of lamb, but without the fat. (There is a lot of collagen and water in that b. of v. tissue.)

Starting a veal demi-glace is another issue, but it will work well.

I seem to remember something about roasted tendrils. Has anyone had these?

An old family favorite is stuffed veal breast. the veal breast is stuffed with a rice and meat mixture then sewed shut and braised in the oven. I have only made it a couple of times but my grandmother would make it as part of our traditional holiday dishes for both Passover and Rosh Hashana. My kids freak out. Meat stuffed with meat. But it is really good. Bottom line is the breast of veal is good for stuffing. Just cut along the bones and make a pocket, stuff, sew or tie closed. You will have a nice browned cap of juicy veal above the stuffing. This is usuall a very cheap cut of meat.