• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Cheese, Whats your favorite kind

Chris Cognac

I will eat almost any blue cheese, but I can devour this is my kind of Blue! Sol Danablu is just easier on my stomach than most other blue cheeses. Maybe it's because I've got so many sensitivities from my particular cancer (CTCL). Yeah, that's me, blue cheese intolerant. :sad: This stuff is only about 16 dollars a pound, which I don't think is outrageous, until I buy 4 100 gram packs and eat them in one day. :shock:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I agree!  Way too long...  This was one of my favorite topics.

It's interesting that you mentioned the impression of your last Cabrales.  It's probably been my overall favorite since I first discovered it, but the last time I had it, which was a month or two ago, I was terribly disappointed.  You described how it was for me.  What's up with that?  Just a coincidence, do you think, or is there something vulnerable about Cabrales and I never had the bad luck before?

There are 2 breeds of Cabrales. Walnut leaf wrapped, the nicely complex one. And one that comes in a dark green foil, that I sent back to a supplier and said, "That's not cheese, it's moldy manure in foil!"

I've been enjoying Roaring 40's blue from Australia. Quite potent and boisterous.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

I've been enjoying Roaring 40's blue from Australia.

Just tried this recently. It's awesome. Really creamy and assertive. Yum!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Stilton. I tried it for the first time a few months ago and absolutely fell in love with it. Dresses up a nice spinach salad with red onion, cherry tomatoes and walnuts beautifully. Of course, by itself with a glass of wine it is marvelous!

For me, the best blue is Kapiti Kikorangi made right here in Godzone aka New Zealand. With a 1/2 bottle of a late harvest sticky wine, some toffeed walnuts and even a hunk of gingerbread, I am one contented chickie!

I know a store in NYC carries it, and darned if I can remember the name. Ummm.... Murrays, Freddies, Larry's....something like that!  :wink:

As a Kiwi, I'm with you on that one. Yay to the sticky, as well. I also like Roquefort (now available in Oz) and Danish Blue Castello - try my blue cheese and asparagus tart. I was first introduced to blue cheese when I was about nine. Smelt like vomit but tasted pretty good. Wonder what Kiwi blue cheese I was eating then (in the '50s)?

Blog: http://cookingdownunder.com/blog

Twitter: @patinoz

The floggings will continue until morale improves

I just got a big wedge of 'Shropshire blue' from my local Deli. It's very good. I was looking for something akin to Stilton, with a slightly milder flavour, so I could use it more freely.

This is perfect. It tastes almost identical to Stilton but without the sometimes overwhelming strength. So far, I've stirred it into risotto at the last minute, much to my liking.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

italian gorgonzola or stilton in rather small quantities.

best i like cambozola - it's camembert with a blue layer in the middle . but it tastes more like brie to me. i came across it in the alpine areas of austria.

i always thought it was italian, but it turns out it was created in bavaria, germany .

Wow, this thread has gone untouched for far too long! 

It's interesting that you mentioned the impression of your last Cabrales. It's probably been my overall favorite since I first discovered it, but the last time I had it, which was a month or two ago, I was terribly disappointed. You described how it was for me. What's up with that? Just a coincidence, do you think, or is there something vulnerable about Cabrales and I never had the bad luck before?

I'm glad this wasn't just me, I was beginning to think I had some faulty Cabrales gene! The first and only time I had cabrales it left a very unpleasant aftertaste, but after reading some other comments, I might go and track down the leafy one and see if it's any better. Until then it will be Cashel Blue and Stilton, my old reliables!

I agree!  Way too long...  This was one of my favorite topics.

It's interesting that you mentioned the impression of your last Cabrales.  It's probably been my overall favorite since I first discovered it, but the last time I had it, which was a month or two ago, I was terribly disappointed.  You described how it was for me.  What's up with that?  Just a coincidence, do you think, or is there something vulnerable about Cabrales and I never had the bad luck before?

There are 2 breeds of Cabrales. Walnut leaf wrapped, the nicely complex one. And one that comes in a dark green foil, that I sent back to a supplier and said, "That's not cheese, it's moldy manure in foil!"

I've been enjoying Roaring 40's blue from Australia. Quite potent and boisterous.

I've been enjoying Roaring 40's blue from Australia.

Just tried this recently. It's awesome. Really creamy and assertive. Yum!

I'm glad this wasn't just me, I was beginning to think I had some faulty Cabrales gene!  The first and only time I had cabrales it left a very unpleasant aftertaste, but after reading some other comments, I might go and track down the leafy one and see if it's any better.  Until then it will be Cashel Blue and Stilton, my old reliables!

Thanks for the feedback about the Cabrales. I'll be sure to look for walnut leaf wrapped next time. Since the last experience, I haven't been inclined to buy any more.

I love Roaring 40's, too. :wub:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanks for the feedback about the Cabrales.  I'll be sure to look for walnut leaf wrapped next time.  Since the last experience, I haven't been inclined to buy any more.

I love Roaring 40's, too.  :wub:

At the cheese counter where I used to work we referred to Roaring 40's as "candy"

It was a fun cheese the first few times we tasted it but quickly became too sweet for our (finicky) palates.

Though it >was< a very easy cheese to sell to novices from the 'burbs. ; )

Pick up your phone

Think of a vegetable

Lonely at home

Call any vegetable

And the chances are good

That a vegetable will respond to you

• 4 years later...

I love blue cheeses, husband hates them - more for me!

If I could only eat one blue cheese for the rest of my life, it would be gorgonzola. Second place is Saint Agur. I love creamy blues. It's a bonus that they stick on a piece of baguette better than the harder ones, and don't crumble off the bread and down my blouse. :wub:

While I certainly enjoy any kind of blue cheese, I personally think the best comes from Clemson University's agricultural department! They hand make it with milk from their cows and age it in an old civil war tunnel up in the mountains! Just wish we could get it here in Kentucky.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

While I certainly enjoy any kind of blue cheese, I personally think the best comes from Clemson University's agricultural department! They hand make it with milk from their cows and age it in an old civil war tunnel up in the mountains! Just wish we could get it here in Kentucky.

They have collegial competition. Maytag, which I believe is from U Iowa, is my hands-down favorite. It is superb. When I lived in Philly I tried virtually every blue from all over the world carried by DiBrunos's (40? 50?) and while many are fabulous this remains my all-around first choice.

Maytag is probably my all-around favorite and plentiful here in the midwest....great texture and a decent amount of saltiness. Like several other folks, Roaring 40's is a big favorite too...great, solid flavor. I haven't tried too many from Spain....I have had a couple that reminded me of orange-blue ammonia pucks and they scared me off.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Another blue cheese lover. I did a blue cheese tasting plate for my office last week with 5 blues. Big woods blue a sheep cheese from Nerstand, MN; Caveman Blue from Rogue Creamery in Oregon, Dunbarton Blue, a cheddar blue from wisconsin (I'd read about it in Janet fletcher's SFGate cheese column); a creamy blue with a brie consistency that I can't remember the name of, and an English blue that I can't remember the name of. It was fun, first of all. People who had never tired a blue wanted to try them; those who did hadn't had these and it sparked a lot of conversation about favorites. The Big Woods Blue, dunbarton blue, and Caveman blue were the overwhelming favorites. My favorite changes by the way that I'm using it.

I've only recently starting enjoying blue, but I love Shropshire blue, and any of the Rogue Creamery blues. I think the best was the limited production Rogue River Blue wrapped in pear brandy soaked leaves (can't remember what type of leaves)...amazing! And gorgonzola and apples on grilled flatbread is the best snack after the kids are in bed...

I'm only about 5 hours from Rogue creamery, I'm going to have to take a field trip one of these days!

Edited by Genkinaonna (log)

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Point Reyes is my favorite blue... But I would not pass up a piece of Stilton or a Spanish Blue if it landed in front of me.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.