• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Superbowl Wine?

Mulcahy

Am hosting a Superbowl get together and while everyone else there drinks beer, I don't. Am serving:

Jalapeno Poppers

Mozzarella Sticks with Arrabiata dipping sauce

Mixed cheeses (mostly mild)

Antipasto (salamis, olives, etc.)

Spicy chicken wings

Very very very spicy chili

Cornbread

Since I am the only one drinking it, I am not particularly concerned about cost. (Although I still don't want to spend more than $15-20 a bottle). I figure if I slave over the stove I am entitled to good wine.

Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks!

With that lineup, I'd say drink whatever wine you like. If it were me, I'd go low alcohol and high acid, which would mean German Riesling. That would also have some residual sugar to diffuse the heat of your very spicy dishes.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Hmm, cretin that I am, I'd pair a big paint-stripping red with that menu. With chili or spicy foods, I usually want something that will stand up to the most potent thing on the plate. My picks would be Taurino Salice Salintino, Marques de Caceres Rioja or a rough and ready Cotes du Rhone.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

Last year we did a similiar line up (although I loathe football) and a high alcohol TAVEL (rose) actually worked quite nicely even with super spicy Mexican food and the horrible cheese dip that comes in those horrible jars. I got really drunk on rose and my son watched football with boys and everyone was happy.

This year we will be in France, so although I still might get drunk on rose there will be no nachos. Hopefully there will be boys however :biggrin:

over it

With that lineup, I'd say drink whatever wine you like.  If it were me, I'd go low alcohol and high acid, which would mean German Riesling.

That's where my mind went as well...

I would go with you part of the way. I feel more comfortable with Alsace so would go there and maybe choose a very fruity one with a fair bit of residual sugar. Porbably a gewursztraminer or TPG.

Brad/Carolyn, as I don't eat a lot of really spicy food, do you think that your choice of acidity would work better than my fruit?

Brad/Carolyn, as I don't eat a lot of really spicy food, do you think that your choice of acidity would work better than my fruit?

It's not really an "either/or" issue, even though re-reading my earlier post I probably made it seem that way. Wine can be high in both, low in both, or high in one and not the other. Generally, with spicy food it's residual sugar that is discussed more than acid or fruit (but the presence of RS for some people makes the wine appear more fruity). Sugar in its various forms tends to mellow the effects of spicy heat.

Edited by Brad Ballinger (log)

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

Made with a nice Rioja??? Sangria??? Save your money and make it with a $5 red. After adding the fruit juice, the original wine will be practically unrecognizeable.

Made with a nice Rioja??? Sangria??? Save your money and make it with a $5 red. After adding the fruit juice, the original wine will be practically unrecognizeable.

Not a sophisticated winer here, (or whatever you call a wine person) but I didn't think that rioja was that expensive... At least what I buy isn't... Can't remember the name, get it locally. I do hate to overpay...

Hmm, cretin that I am, I'd pair a big paint-stripping red with that menu. With chili or spicy foods, I usually want something that will stand up to the most potent thing on the plate. My picks would be Taurino Salice Salintino, Marques de Caceres Rioja or a rough and ready Cotes du Rhone.

Chad

Chad:

I hope you mean "paint-stripping" (nice description, BTW :wink:) in terms of tannin, but not in terms of alcohol content. High alcohol wines make the heat in spicy foods even more pronounced. In fact, it might even blow out your palate to the point where your taste is impaired, rather than enhanced.

Keep to alcohol levels of no more than 12.5%. Anything higher than that will make the spice in your foods take on a nasty harsh edge and make everything taste hotter.

Red or white is your choice. For white I'd stick to Alsace or Germany, a riesling as previously suggested or an Edelswicker. For red you could find a nice Cotes du Rhone, or the Salice was actually a nice suggestion. I really love Dolcetto, which is low acid and has relatively mild tannins. I think it goes with almost anything.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

This will probably sound weird to some, but cheap bubbly is an option. Sometimes I take that with me to BYOB pot-luck parties, where you never know what you'll get... It is kind of like beer -- refreshing and goes with almost anything.

I like the idea of Tavel or a pitcher of Sangria, too.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanks, everyone.

I ended up serving a 2002 Dr. Konstantin Frank Finger Lakes Riesling. It was very tasty and cooled the heat from the spicy foods quite nicely. (Alcohol is 12%).

Thanks again.