• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Onion Soup

Marlene

. . . . When ready to serve, I ladle the soup into all the bowls, float the toast on top then melt the cheese with

this handy appliance.

Works great and very rapidly.

I though I was alone using a heat gun in the kitchen!

It started with a gingerbread house that needed some gentle melting. I went from the hair dryer to the butane torch to the heat gun.

I love it when wood shop tools make it to the kitchen. Except for cutting frozen fish on the 9" band saw, I won't do that again.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I originally bought the heat gun to remove paint from some metal office furniture prior to having it powder coated (cut the cost by 1/3).

I then wondered what other uses I could find for it and took it into the kitchen.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I tried melting some cheese on the croutons in the toaster oven, then adding it to my bowl of hot soup. It worked really well! And it wasn't too messy, so I think I might be able to do it at work, too!

I think, though, adding some croutons to the soup earlier would be a good idea, too. As it was, the croutons barely absorbed any of the soup. It was good in that they remained crunchy, but it's nice to have a little bit of absorption. Must do more experiments.

I always use chicken as well as beef stock. I add some dijon to the onions when they are cooking and I also add some brandy to deglaze with.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

I tried melting some cheese on the croutons in the toaster oven, then adding it to my bowl of hot soup.  It worked really well!  And it wasn't too messy, so I think I might be able to do it at work, too!

I think, though, adding some croutons to the soup earlier would be a good idea, too.  As it was, the croutons barely absorbed any of the soup.  It was good in that they remained crunchy, but it's nice to have a little bit of absorption.  Must do more experiments.

Toasting in the oven on a sheet pan allows one to toast the top of the bread but the bottom stays just enough less toasted so that it is more absorbable. At least that is the way it works for me.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Onion Soup Gratinee is a touchstone in my family. We (I) made it every New Year's Eve, always using the recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Ahhh... Julia. The secret is to use both chicken and beef stock, with a good dollop of sherry to deglaze.

I make a big pot of this every winter and freeze it in batches. I can just heat a bowlful and top with croutons and gruyere/parm mix and pop into the toaster oven for a few minutes for a perfect bowl.

This soup is special to me. Not only was it a holiday tradition, it was the last thing I made for my Mother. A few months later, it was the last thing Julia ate before she passed. It's taken me a few years, but I can finally eat it again without crying.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

• 1 year later...

Agree, I'd use salt in preference to sour. This would allow you to keep the overall flavour profile of French Onion soup while adjusting the flavour profile.

If the product is still out of balance after using salt to rectify, then use some sour to give a three way balance.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Veal stock and lots of salt.

If you have access to veal stock, you could take about half the broth out of the soup and replace it with a good, reduced stock.

Or for a more creative approach...add brewers yeast, ferment, and have the worlds first onion soup brew. The acidity (and salt) would probably kill off the yeast though...just thinking outside the box.

This has happened to me many times. Our locally grown onions are also quite sweet. I bring it to a simmer and add a tablespoon of lemon juice, simmer for a few minutes, taste and add more if needed. You can also add a small amount of salt but only a pinch, after adding the lemon juice.

There is no standard amount, you must balance it by taste.

• 11 years later...

so, , , , I've done this several times - each a semi-to-full-blown disaster.  salvaged the cheese, tho....

DW wants another . . . .

the favorite seems to be yellow onions.

the prescribed slicing is pole-to-pole, not 'rounds'

some add sugar to help with the browning . . . some abhor sugar . . . I'm thinking (real) maple syrup?

I do 'glazed carrots' with real maple syrup - thunderously good stuff....

the slice thickness:  egads.  everything from 1/8 inch (~3.2mm) to 'the only way to make ...' using 1/2 inch (~13mm) slices.

have mandolin, can control....

the input of experience solicited . . . time isn't an issue - I have days to caramelize onions,,,, if needed.

using the classic Julia Child's recipe - "sliced thin" is the text . . .

I might skip the cognac.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

so, , , , I've done this several times - each a semi-to-full-blown disaster.  salvaged the cheese, tho....

DW wants another . . . .

Julia Child’s recipe has never let me down.  

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, AlaMoi said:

DW wants another . . . .

Not fully sure what can go wrong - can you specify ?

Soup lacking texture, body, flavor (which flavor), ..?

Chop the onions (I’d lean towards the thinner side, but it doesn’t really matter). Sweat in oil & butter until caramelized. Adjust sweetness with a bit of (brown) sugar, if required. Dust with flower, add some white wine (if you like) and some really decent beef stock. Salt. Cook for maybe 1h, so you can still feel the onions, bit there is no stringy bits left. Soup should be viscous by now. Adjust saltyness, sweetness should be well rounded now. Do your fancy stuff with roasted bread & cheese or eat directly …

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

so, how thin is thin?

I honestly think it doesn’t matter as long as you get them caramelized and soft. If they are too thin you

might generate some stringy onions that will need longer softening in the cooking process later (with the stock). Thicker ones just need longer to caramelize.

if you need a number: 1 mm …

Edited by Duvel (log)

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Not fully sure what can go wrong - can you specify ?

Soup lacking texture, body, flavor (which flavor), ..?

Chop the onions (I’d lean towards the thinner side, but it doesn’t really matter). Sweat in oil & butter until caramelized. Adjust sweetness with a bit of (brown) sugar, if required. Dust with flower, add some white wine (if you like) and some really decent beef stock. Salt. Cook for maybe 1h, so you can still feel the onions, bit there is no stringy bits left. Soup should be viscous by now. Adjust saltyness, sweetness should be well rounded now. Do your fancy stuff with roasted bread & cheese or eat directly …

Good grief is this for teetotalers?  What happened to the cognac/brandy/ Armagnac and the dry vermouth?

• Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Good grief is this for teetotalers?  What happened to the cognac/brandy/ Armagnac and the dry vermouth?

It’s all in … the cook.

Edit: I have never used vermouth. I usually put whatever white wine i have open. Could add some brandy next time, though …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 2