• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone out there HATE cheese?

I have known two people in my life who disliked cheese...saying it reminded them of gym socks, barf, all the usual "smelly cheese things." But I am not one of the cheese haters of the world. I can polish off a brick of extra sharp cheddar in seconds. I am a human wood-chipper when it comes to cheese. And I wish I didn't like it so much--all that sat/fat and calories can't do a body any good in the long run. So...I don't buy it very often because I don't trust myself in the same room with it. :hmmm:

I'm not big on cheese. To me, Parmesean smells like vomit. And when I walk through the cheese sections at Zabar's and Dean & Deluca I hold my breath and walk through as quickly as possible. I have felt this way since I was a kid.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

ME!!!

I hate cheese too! It just makes me feel sick when i eat it!

The other day, my co-workers got a big tub of blue cheese and they were eating it and telling me that the blue stuff is actually mold! i felt sick just watching them eat it!

I am with you, Brenna. It pains me. Cheese offers almost as much scope for I-SPY trainspotterishness, pretentiousness and oneupmanship as wine - it is so varied, has such a sense of place and is another miraculous product made from stuff which has gone off. I just don't like the taste of most cheeses. I only take pleasure from Parmesan, Pecorino, Mozzarella and Feta. Anything else is liable to make me retch. I occasionally pretend to be allergic to rennet so as to have a legitimate excuse to pass on cheese but then I inevitably have a particularly emetic goats cheese forced on me.

I wish I didn't suffer from this affliction but there's nothing I can do. I am utterly unsqueamish about eating anything, but I simply won't eat cheese. I know I am missing out on so much but my tongue is simply wired wrong.

From the Cheese Lovers of the World:

Our sincerest condolences...

Then, again, More For Us! :biggrin:

Cheese, glorious cheese!

I went through a health situation a while back that led me to believe I had developed some sort of a (serious) allergy to dairy products. I was never so relieved as when I discovered that it was coffee that was causing my problems.

I used to hate cheese when I was a kid, well, actually into my 20's. I spent my first trip to Europe trying to pretend it didn't exist while my companion scoffed it down after dinner almost every night.

I was well into my 30's when I discovered cheese is one of my favorite foods. And, in particular, blue cheese. No reason for the change. It just happened.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I feel so sorry for all of you cheese haters out there. I've noticed that

everyone I know who hates cheese is thin. Are they thin because they

don't eat cheese or is it something to do with their metabolism?

Melissa

Cheese is my least favorite food in the entire world. It seems like I'm all alone on this one though.....Is there anyone out there who actually doesn't care for cheese besides me?

Oh what a sad, dark spot in the world you sheese haters must occupy. :sad:

Life without cheese would be like.....well.....life without cheese. I would not be happy. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Cheese has to be one of the foods I could not live without! The smellier, the better. When I was a kid in elementary school, we had this old wooden tallboy closet that we all kept our lunches in. I can't think of how many times I pissed off my fellow classmates by bring "those stinky cheese sandwichs" for lunch. One of my favs is Danish Tilsit. yum. well I'm off to the deli......

It's the CHEESIEST.

Yum, I <heart> cheese although as anyone who has talked with me knows, I grew up not eating ANY cheese other than white American (and only when it was completely melted).

Now? Bring on the Gorgonzola...Stilton...Havarti...Gouda...Goat (lots of Goat)... anything with sheep's milk.

Just hold the damn Swiss.

Maybe the reason you hate cheese and claim it "makes you feel sick" is that it actually DOES make you sick and it's a learned aversion. Maybe milkfat allergy? Can you drink skim milk?

I just find it hard to believe that someone without a compromising medical condition would really and truly hate cheese. Let me hold on to my belief that cheese is an objective good.....

ok i do not like ALL cheese. For example, Roquefort and Gorgonzola are too strong for me.

however i LOoooooooVE Parmesean, Cambozola, Camembert, Raclette, Emmenthal and so on.

I dont like cheese balls though, the kinds covered with walnut.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

It seems to me that there are two kinds of people here those who like cheese in all shapes and forms (like myself) and those who like some cheeses. Except for Brenna, I do not see any real cheese haters here :smile:, and that's the "power of cheese".

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

The other day, my co-workers got a big tub of blue cheese and they were eating it and telling me that the blue stuff is actually mold! i felt sick just watching them eat it!

This is a joke, right?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

This is a joke, right?

The poster may not have known the "blue stuff" is indeed mold. I must say that blue cheese is really the only cheese that puts me off totally. Eating globs of blue mold just doesn't work for me. In a salad dressing, I can take it, though. Spread on crackers....bleh. :unsure:

This is a joke, right?

The poster may not have known the "blue stuff" is indeed mold. I must say that blue cheese is really the only cheese that puts me off totally. Eating globs of blue mold just doesn't work for me. In a salad dressing, I can take it, though. Spread on crackers....bleh. :unsure:

Think of it as eating a bunch of tiny blue mushrooms. Or as my Grandpa used to tell me: Eat it, it is what they make penicillin from!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario