• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking gougères

helenas

When a while ago i attempted to bake them, i was surprised on how easily it can be done. And they came out so delicious. The only problem i had, that they became soggy after a short while, which discouraged me from trying them again. Are there some rules to deal with this kind of pastry?

If you can figure out a way to hold gougeres in there hot-from-the-oven state, they may name the technique after you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 years later...

Bumping this thread.

Does anybody have a recipe? Or can I just use my regular recipe and mix in grated cheese (Gruyere or Parmesan?) after the pate choux is ready?

I was thinking of using Pichet Ong's recipe, which somebody recently posted in the forum.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Just use your favorite choux recipe, mix in about 2-4oz of cheese after you incorporate the eggs. After your pipe your puffs, egg wash them and then sprinkle some more cheese on top before they go into the oven.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

As with most choux puffs, let them cool in the oven with the door adjar. If they're large, you may even consider taking them out hot, slicing the top open, and putting them back in to cool a bit more (this will help dry out the insides).

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

• 1 year later...

I've only made gougeres at home in preparation (right before) a dinner party.

I've been asked to make hors d'oeuvres for a dinner party and I'd love to do gougeres. I'll have an oven at my disposal at my friend's house, however, I'd like to have all but the actual baking done by the time I get there. I've never left choux pastry sitting for more than a few minutes before piping and then baking... can I make the pastry in advance, wrap it or do something with it to make hold until I need to pipe/bake? Or, can I just pipe it onto a baking sheet and then cover with plastic wrap until I need to bake?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Julia Child's advice on using choux pastry has always been reliable, and she notes that the final puffs lose volume if the choux pastry isn't cooked right away. But she also says that they freeze perfectly and can be reheated straight from the freezer. I've never tried that, but like aprilmei have had good luck recrisping them later in the day. If I were doing gougeres I might save the top sprinkling of cheese for the reheat so it doesn't burn or get tough.

I think choux is fairly sturdy, as doughs go. I don't see any reason you can't make the choux, add the cheese, put it in a pastry bag with your tip of choice, and let it sit around for a couple of hours in the fridge until you get around to schlepping it to your party. Pipe and bake as usual once there.

for best results make and pipe batter, ready to go on pans. then either freezer(which will make them less likely to squish during travel time) or fridge (max one day or they tend to turn green, still edible but slightly gross). Bake to order, they really are best right out of the oven, reheating is not a great way to go.

nkaplan@delposto.com

for best results make and pipe batter, ready to go on pans.  then either freezer(which will make them less likely to squish during travel time) or fridge (max one day or they tend to turn green, still edible but slightly gross).  Bake to order, they really are best right out of the oven, reheating is not a great way to go.

Thanks, everyone for the advice! Here are a couple of things I should have mentioned:

1. I live five houses down from the dinner party, so transport is not a problem.

2. As nicolekaplan says, I have not been happy with re-heated gougeres... it's just not the same as fresh... given that, maybe I should pipe and then store in the fridge.

Here's my dilemma: I have a musical matinee performance I must attend at 2pm. I'll probably get home by 4.30/5 at the latest. The dinner party starts around 6/6.30... so, should I (a) make gougeres in the morning and freeze for baking later at the party, or (b) Make the pate a choux after I get home and just before I go over. If the latter, should can I put in in the pastry bag ready to pipe and just take it over to the friends' to pipe and bake, or should I make, pipe, and take over the pans? It would probably be more convenient to just take over baking pans and parchment with pastry bag full of choux than multiple pans with piped choux.

Thanks again everyone! Please keep advice coming.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

if you're going to make the batter right before going over, then just put in the piping bag and walk over to your friend's house.

if you're going to make the batter several hours before (i.e. before your matinee), then pipe and fridge or freeze them on trays and bring over to bake.

either option is better than reheated!

if you're going to make the batter right before going over, then just put in the piping bag and walk over to your friend's house.

if you're going to make the batter several hours before (i.e. before your matinee), then pipe and fridge or freeze them on trays and bring over to bake.

either option is better than reheated!

Thanks, alanamoana!

BTW: nicolekaplan - green???.... what would cause choux pastry to turn green?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

oxidation causes the batter to turn green, millions of gougeres later and always the same result, leftover batter turns army green the second day.

Ok, right, oxidation - but it's not like there's copper in the batter (that I'm aware of). That is so odd. But, it's edible, no? Do they bake up green?

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

a lot of doughs discolor after a couple of days. when the flour sits with water/moisture it turns gray to green. not only is it oxidation but also enzyme activity which causes breakdown in the flour. so maybe more biodegradation than oxidation if that makes any sense. with choux, there's a much higher ratio of water to flour...so it must happen that much quicker.