• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dutch Ovens

JennyUptown

Broadway Panhandler in Manhattan has a fabulous sale on Le Creuset every year. I don't know how frequently you get up to the city, but your other option would be to have a friend pick up a piece for you (they ship, but you'll probably wipe out your savings because the things are so damn heavy). Fat Guy posted about the sale here. You'll need to scroll down a bit.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

JennyUptown, I am not sure if you have Marshall's or TJ Maxx near you, but they often have Le Creuset overstock at great prices. I got a 7 qt. round oven for $90 a few months ago. You just have to keep looking.

Good luck! I absolutely LOVE mine. Beef burgundy, Coq au vin, osso bucco - welcome to the world of stews!

This is GREAT advice. I live near quite a few discounters (including TJ Maxx) and never would have thought to look there. Thanks!

This is GREAT advice. I live near quite a few discounters (including TJ Maxx) and never would have thought to look there. Thanks!

Jenny, there is a shopping strip on Rockville Pike that has a TJ maxx and a Marshalls for the next time you head out there.

I think it's called Federal Plaza. There is a Trader Joes and Pearl Arts Supply in the same strip.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

JU,

Do tell us the story of the cake stand. I wonder if hillvalley's comment rang the same *bells* for you as it did for me. :wink:

After all, it is how most of us first furnish our kitchens with respectable cookware.

No bells! I promise. JU shall remain single (for now). The cake stand was a gift from PLM last year. Oddest gift I ever received from a man. How he presented it is an even longer story (but probably uninteresting to the group).

Lodge. You can use it as a real dutch oven should be. Anywhere. Campfire. Oven. Stove top. Industructable. Seasoned well there is no irony taste. Lodge, lasts forever. Great price.

You should try to borrow someone's Le Creuset "french" oven before you decide to make such an investment. Give it a try and see what you think. They have a lot to recommend. If you decide to go that route, you will acquire an asset that you will be able to pass down to your decendants.

MRX -- I disagree. No matter how well seasoned, if you slow cook something with acidic content, such as tomatoes, for 4 - 5 hours or longer, the seasoning will be affected and food will be imparted with a metalic taste.

And it may be worth pointing out that Lodge makes different dutch ovens for stove/oven (flat bottom) use and for camping (on legs with lid designed to hold coals).

Here's a link to the Le Cruset Outlet Stores.

Does anyone have both an LC and a Lodge?

I think this now boils down to personality types.

Do you drive a truck? Get the Lodge.

Do you drive a Land Rover and think it's a truck? Get the LC.

Seasoning is EASY.

Legs or not on the Lodge, it'll go in the fire okay. I'd like to see what happens to the LC.

My goulash usually cooks for 3 to 5 hours and I've never had a metallic taste.

Edited by MRX (log)

I have both.  What does that make me? :blink:

Someone who ignored my question? ;-)

Um, I drive a Subaru. Does that explain it? :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I have both.  What does that make me? :blink:

Someone who ignored my question? ;-)

Um, I drive a Subaru. Does that explain it? :biggrin:

Okay, now I've just spit my beer on my keyboard...too funny!

:biggrin: so glad I could make your day! :laugh: Or t least a little part of it. Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

MRX -- my point was not that the flat bottomed Lodge can not be put on coals, but that the legged one is specifically designed for that purpose; the legs make the bottom heat easy to control and the rimmed lid makes it possible to place coals on top and apply and control top heat.

I don't think a Lodge Dutch oven is a good first choice for you Jenny, given that you were looking for something you can just throw in the dishwasher. Raw cast-iron takes more time to season and to care for.

I'm considering buying one of the LC's from that link, but am having second thoughts. As I write this, I've got some beef bourguignon braising in the oven in what I usually use as a dutch oven: a calpahlon anodized aluminum 6-qt pot (bought it as part of a set back when I knew nothing about cookware). My question is: Will the LC dutch oven make that much of a difference?

Chris Sadler

I'm considering buying one of the LC's from that link, but am having second thoughts. As I write this, I've got some beef bourguignon braising in the oven in what I usually use as a dutch oven: a calpahlon anodized aluminum 6-qt pot (bought it as part of a set back when I knew nothing about cookware). My question is: Will the LC dutch oven make that much of a difference?

Not really, and especially not if you're braising in the oven. The main functional issue is how tightly the lid fits. In my experience, Calphalon lids are pretty loose compared to the weight and fit of LC. This means your liquid needs to be checked more frequently.

Now, if you're taking the dish to the table, I don't think Calphalon aesthetics can compare with enameled cast iron, but that's a matter of opinion.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I'm considering buying one of the LC's from that link, but am having second thoughts.  As I write this, I've got some beef bourguignon braising in the oven in what I usually use as a dutch oven: a calpahlon anodized aluminum 6-qt pot (bought it as part of a set back when I knew nothing about cookware).  My question is:  Will the LC dutch oven make that much of a difference?

I agree that there's no comparison between the Calphalon and LC. But since you have something to work with in the meantime, check out sales and LC outlets. If you take your time about it, TJMaxx and Marshalls sometimes have odd pieces. I once found a Doufou for about 25 at TJM and a grill pan for 5 at Marshalls! Even more often, you'll see LC knockoffs there. LC always has its name CAST into the metal itself.

While the non-LC may be quite serviceable for many years, it will not have LC's wonderful lifetime guarantee (your lifetime, your children's lifetime, and probably their children's as well) which I have personally tested.

You might note that just about everyone who has it is very enthusiastic about it. I certainly am despite my being very picky picky picky and quick to say so. The only downside to LC is its weight. I had to stop at a 5 1/2 quart as a filled 7 qt would be too heavy for me. My son on the other hand has not only "borrowed" one of my 5 1/2 qt pots but bought himself a bigger one.

Now if you want to talk about All Clad, you'll hear a very different tune from me, unlike some others. Over-priced, over-rated, and I'm sorry I bought several pieces. (My DIL seems to like them, but then they're a serious step up from what she has been cooking with.)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts