• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help with swissgold one cup

bucktown_boffo

anybody have any tips on getting the best coffee out of the swissgold "one cup" pour-over brewer? i just got one. specifically, i need help with:

1. how much coffee should i use for 8 oz. of water? when using my old automatic drip brewer, i always loaded up on coffee beans when making small amounts of coffee, and would lower the coffee bean to water ratio as i increased the amount brewed coffee. do i not need to worry about that with the "one cup" because of the water regulator? looks like the unit may not hold much more than 2 or 3 tablespoons of ground coffee beans anyway, so this may be a moot point.

2. proper grind -- i have a starbucks barista burr grinder, which i think is virtually identical to the solis maestro. what grind setting should i use? same as automatic drip? courser? finer?

2. adding more water -- the water container only holds 8 ounces of water. has anyone had success with adding more water midway through the brewing cycle? again, because there may not even be enough room above the filter for more than 3 tablespoons of coffee, this might too be a moot point.

any advice would be appreciated!

need to expirement some more, but not sure it'll hold much more than 2-3 tablespoons of coffee unless i tamp it down hard, in which case the water will likely be jammed. 2 1/2 tablespoons of ground coffee beans + 8oz of water made what seemed to me a fairly strong cup of coffee. i just wish it made more than 8 oz.!

--- oh, and one other thing, the brewing cycle took 4:30 -- doesn't that seem like a long time for 8oz of water?

Edited by bucktown_boffo (log)