• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fukui

jogoode

Here is a list (in English) of Fukui meibutsu (traditional/famous dishes):

http://www.kippo.or.jp/Collection/Asp/EngC...ctionSearch.Asp

As Fukui has a lot of coast, it tends to focus mostly on seafood, sea urchin, crabs, fugu and various "pickled" fishes as well.

EDIT

you need to scroll past all of the spas first.

Edited by torakris (log)

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Thanks, ankomochi. I'm visiting Japan this summer and have a friend living in a small village in Fukui. I wonder, is there a book published in English that discusses Japan's regional speciaties and cuisine? I'm also hoping to find a couple of sushiya outside of major cities that serve a small selection of fish from local bodies of water. Is that a possibility, or is good sushi specific to large cities?

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Thanks, ankomochi. I'm visiting Japan this summer and have a friend living in a small village in Fukui. I wonder, is there a book published in English that discusses Japan's regional speciaties and cuisine? I'm also hoping to find a couple of sushiya outside of major cities that serve a small selection of fish from local bodies of water. Is that a possibility, or is good sushi specific to large cities?

We have discussed Japanese regional cookbooks on another thread and came to the conclusion there is nothing out there, in Japanese or English. Guidebooks might be able to point you in the direction of some good local food, it has been a long time since I bought a Japan guidebook though.....

As to eating sushi, you will find some incerdible sushi in Fukui I am sure. The best place to eat anything is at its point of origin and you will probably find some great fish that you would never find in Tokyo and at better prices to boot! :biggrin: I have to admit most of the best sushi I have had was in towns bordering the oceans where the fishw as just hours off the boat, most likely caught by te shop owners son (or grandfather) and supplemented with fresh vegetables picked from the garden.....

Can't get that in Tokyo.......

well it is harder to find. :blink:

I have slowly been compiling lists of regional meibutsu from all over Japan and you have persuaded me to get off my butt and finally get it organized.

As to eating sushi, you will find some incerdible sushi in Fukui I am sure. The best place to eat anything is at its point of origin and you will probably find some great fish that you would never find in Tokyo and at better prices to boot! :biggrin: I have to admit most of the best sushi I have had was in towns bordering the oceans where the fishw as just hours off the boat, most likely caught by te shop owners son (or grandfather) and supplemented with fresh vegetables picked from the garden.....

Can't get that in Tokyo.......

well it is harder to find. :blink:

I have slowly been compiling lists of regional meibutsu from all over Japan and you have persuaded me to get off my butt and finally get it organized.

thanks torakris! Now I'm really excited. In New York, I almost never eat anything at its place of origin.

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

How far is Fukui from Tokyo? Any idea how much on the Shinkansen to get there? It's another place I'd like to visit soon.

Fukui is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours away from Tokyo and will cost you 14,000yen to 20,000yen one way.

for more information look here:

http://www.hyperdia.com/

click on English version (left side of the screen) and then input a starting point (station) and destination (again station name) and it will show you a variety of routes, times, prices, etc.

This is an incredible website!! I use it all the time.

• 9 months later...
Did you know that the sauce katsu don originated in Fukui?  I didn't!

http://www.fuku-e.com/donna/source/

Me neither! I looked on the English page but couldn't find the mention. What does it say?

A Fukui resident told me that the eat katsu don without an egg on top, because they enjoy simple tastes. But that was all I heard about katsu don, though I did eat a lot of it. :smile:

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com

Me neither! I looked on the English page but couldn't find the mention. What does it say?

In short, katsu don means sauce katsu don in Fukui, and Sou Honten (総本店) of Yoroppa (Europe) Ken (ヨーロッパ軒) is the birthplace of this donburi.

The website of Yoroppa Ken

http://homepage2.nifty.com/yo-roppaken/

• 3 months later...

I took a wonderful trip to Japan this summer and stayed for ten days in Fukui Prefecture, in a small village called Kamishihii. The town has a garlic mascot named Ninky, and I wrote about him for Saveur Magazine. Unfortunately, it's not available online. But if you can get a copy of the magazine, please check it out!

A big thank you to Hiroyuki and Kristin for their help!

JJ Goode

www.jjgoode.com