• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: gsquared

gsquared

There is nothing better than a good night's sleep to clear the cobwebs. Up early today and ready for the world.

First light:

i2629.jpg

Today is, I think, a day for fish. I will trundle off to the fishmonger and see what they have that speaks of dinner to me. I have for a while wanted to do crayfish tails poached in olive oil and served with 6 flavours. A tail in the middle of the plate, with the 6 flavours in a half moon around the top - coconut cream, citrus dust, 5 spices, garlic-infused EVOO, avo and red onion salsa and maybe a beet sauce. Or something. Served with a crisp Chenin Blanc, methinks.

Perhaps they will have some fresh tuna.... We shall see. I will report back.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

How about Ms. Katie Loeb, have you had a turn yet? Don't make Soba get out the arm twisting gloves.

Ha! Mercifully I already did that back in September HERE. And I wouldn't dream of following this blog. I eat much too randomly, and don't cook nearly as much as I'd like to. It would be a painful bore after this glorious week of Gsquared's detailed descriptions and beautiful photos.

Who's up to bat?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

..you upto having me over there .. i cannot resist

No problem, Monica! As long as you will volunteer to make some of your wonderful Indian bread......

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

The crayfish idea did not pan out - no fresh crayfish available today, only frozen tails. I contemplated going with those, but the live ones are so much better that I abandoned the idea. The 6 flavours will have to wait for another day. I did find some wonderful butterfish fillets and a chunk of tuna loin, though. Should be able to do something with that. Seared tuna with 6 flavours? Hmmm....The butcher offered some splendid lamb rib chops. Do I want to french chops? Maybe one each. So, chop, tuna, fish, dessert. Or tuna, chop, fish, dessert.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Oh yes, french the chops... and take pictures.

Just out of curiosity, when you buy live crawfish, how do you get them home?

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

We put a sisal trunk up against a birch tree in an attempt to lure a woodpecker family to the garden. A day later, a woodpecker decided that he liked the accommodation, moved in and started pecking a hole. A few days later his missus moved in and they went about propagating the species. Two days ago we saw the chick peering out. Today he gathered his courage and tried to fly. He fell heavily to the ground. The cat pounced and ate him. His parents left.

No sense getting upset at the cat, I guess - he simply did what is in his nature to do.

i2632.jpg

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Many thanks for the details on the mussel jelly. Will give it a try this weekend and see how it goes.

How big are the crawfish tails that you get?? I only know how to get little bitty ones...usually frozen.

Good luck with dinner!

Sure we will all miss the photos and the sunshine, but look forward to next week's adventure.

We put a sisal trunk up against a birch tree in an attempt to lure a woodpecker family to the garden. A day later, a woodpecker decided that he liked the accommodation, moved in and started pecking a hole. A few days later his missus moved in and they went about propagating the species. Two days ago we saw the chick peering out. Today he gathered his courage and tried to fly. He fell heavily to the ground. The cat pounced and ate him. His parents left.

No sense getting upset at the cat, I guess - he simply did what is in his nature to do.

i2632.jpg

Is your family that warm and welcoming to all new residents of your neighborhood?

:laugh::laugh::raz:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Is your family that warm and welcoming to all new residents of your neighborhood?

Indeed. A guest, including the feathered kind, is a jewel to be treasured on the cushion of hospitality. (Who said that?)

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Dinner is done. Here is the menu:

Prosciutto Cappalletti with a parmesam cream sauce and coriander leaves. I found the pasta in the back of the fridge - bought it fresh two days ago and thought it would go well with the parmesan sauce.

i2638.jpg

I could not french the chops. The damn butcher cross-cut the bones. I did not watch him doing it. I will speak to him earnestly from Leviticus. Decided to extract the loin medallions, flash fry and serve with sweet peppers and mint.

i2637.jpg

The butterfish needed very little done. Made a sweet potato mash with chives and paprika. The sauce was a roux based veloute with a hint of curry and some coriander.

i2636.jpg

For dessert I still had six fresh figs left. Poached them gently in the skin in port until soft. Blended the port with bitter chocolate and a teaspoon of ground coffee beans. Drops of cream to get a colour contract.

i2639.jpg

Coffee. And Hennesy. Getting low on Hennesy.The wacky neighbour has a commission to produce a play at an annual arts festival in June. He has three actresses and was looking for a play. The Hennesy helped us to come up with a contemporary and off the wall version of Waiting for Godot. So, all in all a good dinner.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

I have to end my blog today. We will be trundling off to watch animals for the weekend. The wife is great on game watching. I have to confess to a lesser enthusiasm. If you have seen one giraffe nibbling on a bush, subsequent sightings seem to be deja vu. I shall, however, do my husbandly best and make a fist of it. At least there is the prospect of quiet evenings in the bush, sipping something and simply revelling in being an African. We will also be going to a place with flushing toilets. Now there is a sine qua non. Do not go anywhere where you are required to trundle into the bush bearing a spade and a toilet roll. Processes that normally proceed placidly can be severely disturbed by the grunt of (what you imagine to be) a toothed beasty eyeing your bare behind.

It was fun doing the blog. I will postpone tagging next week's blogger until Sunday night when we return. This in the hope that more volunteers will PM me.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Thank you so much for such a wonderful blog! The view of SA was great, although it sounds like you're going to have a lot of drop in eGulleters!! Have a great weekend....watch your back. :laugh:

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

The wife read my last post and insisted that I correct the impression that the bush contains only nibbling giraffes. Being a peacable fellow, here are three pics from our last outing.

i2640.jpg

i2641.jpg

i2642.jpg

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

The blog must not die!  Someone has to be brave enough to carry it on.  C'mon, Marlene?? Tolliver?? Stinger??  How about Ms. Katie Loeb, have you had a turn yet?  Don't make Soba get out the arm twisting gloves.

Nope sorry Cusina BUT there is NO WAY in hell I'm following this blog. Even I'm smart enough to realize that even I couldn't follow this

Regards

Tom

I believe it is gsquared's solemn duty to Egullet to rightfully tag Stinger.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

The blog must not die!  Someone has to be brave enough to carry it on.   C'mon, Marlene?? Tolliver?? Stinger??  How about Ms. Katie Loeb, have you had a turn yet?   Don't make Soba get out the arm twisting gloves.

Nope sorry Cusina BUT there is NO WAY in hell I'm following this blog. Even I'm smart enough to realize that even I couldn't follow this

Regards

Tom

:biggrin: And I believe herbicidal has been smoking something :biggrin:

I want food and I want it now

The blog must not die!  Someone has to be brave enough to carry it on.   C'mon, Marlene?? Tolliver?? Stinger??  How about Ms. Katie Loeb, have you had a turn yet?   Don't make Soba get out the arm twisting gloves.

Regards

Tom

:biggrin: And I believe herbicidal has been smoking something :biggrin:

Not in a while, Stinger, but thanks for bringing back memories.

I was badgered into doing mine after Ling by her and Ronnie Suburban.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Did you eat any interesting food on your weekend safari? (Still 12 or so hrs left.... :biggrin: )

In any case, thank you for a wonderful foodblog and for sharing a little of your life in a place that is so different for many of us. I echo all the complimentary sentiments stated above!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"