• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: gsquared

gsquared

A Kudu is a large antelope with striking, curved horns.

Pic here.

It is a sought after trophy by hunters and is relatively plentiful. Hence the meat is fairly widely available - trophy hunters are generally, bless their little hearts, not interested in the parts behind the neck. The meat is gamey yet finely textured.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Brilliant food...I wish I could plate like you do..

Thank you!

Smoking a pipe of tobacco is more satisfying...

Funny you should say that. As I read your post, I was firing up my meerschaum....

i2608.jpg

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

The idea of getting a new, modern range has its appeal, but I have a relationship with that stove, dammit! Simply discarding it like so much scrap iron seems almost immoral. The wife tells me "It is only a stove, after all". She can be so callous at times.

i2566.jpg

Who says you have to get rid of it? If you can't use it as a stove any longer, why not turn it into a planter or a bar or something else? You'd still have it around, plus you'd recycle it into something useful instead of sending it off to rust in a landfill somewhere.

"It's only a stove..."

Bah! :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

...why not turn it into a planter or a bar or something else?

Now there is a thought! Lateral thinking required. My friend, Willem Boshoff, is a renowned sculptor known for doing things out of the box. Maybe he can help. But yes, I am now determined to maintain the relationship, albeit in another guise. Thanks, Toliver.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

...why not turn it into a planter or a bar or something else?

Now there is a thought! Lateral thinking required. My friend, Willem Boshoff, is a renowned sculptor known for doing things out of the box. Maybe he can help. But yes, I am now determined to maintain the relationship, albeit in another guise. Thanks, Toliver.

You're welcome!

And promise you will post the result (with pics) if ever it should come about.

Tim Oliver

What a fine meerschaum.

I knew we had something else in common..

i2609.jpg

Unfortunately since a bout of alveolitis a while ago I can only smoke on high days and holidays, but what joy.

Maybe we should have a seperate thread on tobaccos. I habitually smoke Three Nuns (none nicer), but its not the same since they make it only ready shredded, and not in the original navy cut with a dark perique centre....

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I remember the original Three Nuns. Currently on a circle cut Escudo Navy Flake. There is no greater pleasure after a good meal to pour a cognac or single malt and prepare a pipe. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde: "A woman is a woman, but a pipe is a good smoke."

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

One more day of snow and I will be ready for durance, vile or otherwise. Do the wide eyed innocents lured into your domain get three meals? Are they occasionally allowed to peel grapes for you, or are we just supposed to coo over your masterful sauces? :)

--adoxograph

Now now, Adaxograph. Best draw a veil over the details lest I offend your no doubt delicate Chicagoan sensibility. Allow me, however, to rub it in. We are lounging outside in shorts and T-shirts discussing Victor Frankel and other obstruse things. Its is a balmy 22C. The wife and one sleep-in guest is still swanning around town. I have more or less regained some equilibrium (must be the pipe). It is difficult to remain cantankerous when an African peace enfolds you. The Hennesy helps!

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

I'm contemplating my youth, nubility (is that a word?) and minion potential... hmm. Might be a worthwhile trade for good meals and some sunshine!

The blog must not die! Someone has to be brave enough to carry it on. C'mon, Marlene?? Tolliver?? Stinger?? How about Ms. Katie Loeb, have you had a turn yet? Don't make Soba get out the arm twisting gloves.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Here it is for your enjoyment!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=31406&st=0

I'm already in the been blogged club gsquared... I'm sorry. I really enjoyed doing it though, it is a unique and good thing to hear how other's respond to your life and food. Highly recommended experience.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I habitually smoke Three Nuns (none nicer), but its not the same since they make it only ready shredded, and not in the original navy cut with a dark perique centre....

Jackal-

Do you mean this tobacco from near my home? I know that it is also used in some strong, dark leafed cigars as well.

Edited to correct link

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Yes. The very same.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail...LPHA=T&TID=1259

Escudo is another good tobacco with a high perique content

To be pedantic "A good cigar is a smoke" is from Rudyard Kipling's "The Betrothed"

I wonder if Loufood would do a blog, or should we wait until she is settled in Spain?

or Fat Guy...or Rachel...or one of the professional chefs..

Edited by jackal10 (log)

The blog must not die!  Someone has to be brave enough to carry it on.  C'mon, Marlene?? Tolliver?? Stinger??  How about Ms. Katie Loeb, have you had a turn yet?  Don't make Soba get out the arm twisting gloves.

Unfortunately, I shouldn't be a blogger at this time. I have "The Cough" that's going around and all its other symptoms since the beginning of the year and I currently have zero sense of taste (as attested to by my wardrobe...can I get a rimshot, please!) so I am not eating much of anything. :sad:

Tim Oliver

OH...that kind of kudu!! I don't why I was thinking of some kind of viney plant.

wonderful, wonderful blog! Believe you should be crowned Blog God!!

Can you detail the mussel jelly a bit more... what are you straining and reserving? Can you do the same thing with clams? oysters?

OH...that kind of kudu!! I don't why I was thinking of some kind of viney plant.

wonderful, wonderful blog! Believe you should be crowned Blog God!!

Can you detail the mussel jelly a bit more... what are you straining and reserving? Can you do the same thing with clams? oysters?

You were thinking of Kudzu.

The blog must not die! Someone has to be brave enough to carry it on. C'mon, Marlene?? Tolliver?? Stinger?? How about Ms. Katie Loeb, have you had a turn yet? Don't make Soba get out the arm twisting gloves.

Nope sorry Cusina BUT there is NO WAY in hell I'm following this blog. Even I'm smart enough to realize that even I couldn't follow this

Regards

Tom

I want food and I want it now

If there is absolutely no one else willing to take over the blog, I'll take next week.

Well I'll say this then - you're a braver man than the rest of us :biggrin::biggrin:

Regards

Tom

I want food and I want it now

My father is a pipe smoker and I have such a good association with the smell. I can imagine it would go well with smooth scotch and a nice balmy evening. *jealous*

I'm having a hard time even imagining what a mussle jelly would taste like. Is it briny? A seawater taste to it? I'm assuming you mean a cold gelatin dish and not a spread on your scone type jelly.

(Melkor, you are brave I'll look forward to reading your blog. Tolliver, feel better and Stinger... we'll get you later I bet.)

-Dad

Can you detail the mussel jelly a bit more....Can you do the same thing with clams? oysters?

The general idea is to produce a liquid with as strong a mussel/briney taste as possible. It will work with clams, but not with oysters.

Cook the mussels in 500ml good unsalted fish stock at a low simmer for around 15 - 20 minutes.

Shell and put the meat into a blender.

Strain the liquid in the pot into the blender. Blend well.

Press through a sieve. Bag and freeze the sieve contents. You can use it for making mussel fritters or something.

Put the sieved liquid in a pot and reduce over very low heat to about a generous cup. Remember that the end product, being a gel, will not release the taste as quickly as the liquid does. The liquid should therefore be almost too pungent. If it seems wishy washy, probably because you did not use enough mussels, you can add a dash of Thai fish sauce.

Adjust the seasoning (salt only).

Add gelatin, dissolve and place in a container large enough so that the liquid is around 1/2" - 3/4" deep. Chill to set.

To serve, cut into rectangles that will nicely fit in a dessert or soup spoon. The wine jelly is a good precursor to prepare the palate for the mussel.

I'm having a hard time even imagining what a mussle jelly would taste like. Is it briny? A seawater taste to it? I'm assuming you mean a cold gelatin dish and not a spread on your scone type jelly.

Ah, yes, Cusina. I had forgotten that "jelly" has a different connotation in your neck of the woods.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

If there is absolutely no one else willing to take over the blog, I'll take next week.

Thanks, Melkor. We'll wait to see whether anyone else steps up to the plate.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness