• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fat Guy

Making home fries

29 posts in this topic

I've been using this recipe for a couple years (diced, mixed with onion, garlic, paprika, oven roasted). The result is very nice, and it's easy to make lots unattended. I usually use diced onion instead of the onion powder though.

To me, home fries are sliced potatoes about the size of a quarter, sauteed in butter till brown, no precooking.

I've been preparing home fries or "cottage" fries for sixty years and have tried various techniques over the decades but always return to the method learned in my grandma's kitchen.

There were always potatoes for breakfast and they were started the evening before - scrubbed potatoes went into the hot oven after the dinner was being taken to the table to bake in the residual heat and removed when the cleanup was finished and placed in the cool pantry (or the fridge in summer).

In the morning the skins were removed - usually just slipped off - and the potatoes were sliced about 1/4 inch thick, or less.

They went into a very hot iron skillet in which the fat (bacon drippings or lard) was about 1/4 inch deep and left undisturbed until the edges on the bottom layer were light brown and then they were turned with a big spatula and the top layer was exposed to the fat and heat.

Nowadays I microwave russets or Yukon Gold potatoes for about 2/3 of the time I would use to "bake" them completely - time will vary with the power of the microwave - and I don't remove the skin because I like it and it has some vitamins.

Otherwise the process is much the same. I often use a combination of butter and oil (grapeseed is a favorite) as this combines the flavor of the butter with the higher smoke point of the oil.

Sometimes I cut the potatoes into wedges (usually when cooking them for dinner) but most often into slices but sometimes into cubes.

I don't season the potatoes until after they have browned a bit - this is a personal quirk but I do taste as I go.

To me onions and peppers don't belong in home or cottage fries - adding those makes it Potatoes O'Brien and I like my potatoes "pure" but fried onions on the side are okay, depending on the other breakfast items. With steak and eggs or pork chops, okay, with bacon or ham, not so much.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My blog:Books,Cooks,Gadgets&Gardening

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• By Mike.jj
      Hello Egullet family.. its good to be back on here, been away for a while, i hope to find some new trending recipes .. and be ready to get some African dish recipes for those who love African Dishes, You can Read and  Download  Mp3 Audios here of some Nigerian dishes, and there are more coming in which i would be placing on here.. Thanks
    • By Darienne
      My long-time Bullet gave up the ghost over the weekend and since we had a couple of free hours and were in the States...where the Walmarts are different from those in Canada...I went smoothie blender looking.

We found a suitable Hamilton Beach 'Go Sport' Blender and brought it home.  The specs looked good and the price was just fine.

HOWEVER...two major flaws in this blender which are worth noting.

1.  The blender bottle opening is quite narrow and I need a modified funnel to get my ingredients into it with ease.  Rats.  OK.  I can do this.

2.  And even worse.  This unit has NO protected blending blades.  That is, if you plug the unit in, put the cutting blades into the unit and turn the unit on and are being stupidly careless...as we have all been known to be...you can get your fingers cut to ribbons!!  (No, I did not do it.  Yet.)  Now, the directions do tell you THE safe way to use the blender...but they don't make any reference to the fact that you...OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, A CHILD...could massacre their fingers in this unit.  I was really surprised.  I can't recall the last electrical kitchen appliance which was so open to misuse and accident.  Almost all must have all the protective units in place before the blades will even work.   You'd have to do something truly unusual to hurt yourself using one.  (OK.  Go ahead.  Post all the exceptions to my statement.  )

I post this just in case. 
    • By Chelseabun
      Does anyone have a recipe for Fake Bacon please?

I have been vegetarian now for about 3 months.  So far it is going very well and I am looking to widen my range of recipes without meat.  I am not sure that going down the path of making imitation meets is the best approach but I do enjoy vegetarian soy based sausages and mince (ground beef) -  So perhaps an imitation bacon will be good too.

If you have any favourite recipes for fake bacon that you wish to share, that would be appreciated.

Regards
    • By bhsimon
      As far as I understand, noodles are a common breakfast dish throughout south-east Asia. Curry laksa, for example, is a breakfast noodle dish in Penang, Malaysia; commonly called curry mee by the locals. This is just one example I know of first hand, but I'm certain there are many others.

Do you know of other breakfast noodle dishes? Or books on the subject?

Keep in mind that I'm interested in noodle dishes specifically, not just any type of breakfast. I'll keep that broader topic for a different thread.
    • By Darienne
      Breakfast has become a problem at our house. We no longer get up at the same time and we no longer eat the same things every day for breakfast. So I have been searching for power/nutrition/energy/granola/health/power/etc bars to make for me to eat. DH doesn't eat them. Well, not at breakfast anyway.
      Recently a new cookbook, Power Hungry: The Ultimate Energy Bar Cookbook by Camilla V. Saulsbury has come out and I have started making a few of the bars in it. Some are excellent, some not wonderful, others way too sweet for me. The first section contains recipes for well-known "knock-offs". The only commercial bar we've tried is a Clif bar and both thought it was awful. I suspect that most of them are too sweet for our personal tastes. (To generalize wildly: Canadians are less addicted to sugar than Americans...more addicted to salt.)
      The book includes recipes for vegans and for folks who can't tolerate gluten. Lots of variations given with each recipe.
      I am proposing to go through the entire book of 30 recipes, making one after another, to find the ones which suit me. I'll report back on this. (Give me a purpose for surviving this horrible cold winter. ) Maybe someone else has the book, has tried some recipes, and is interested in this.
      Saulsbury also has a blog, http://powerhungry.com/ , in which she has posted some bars which are not in the book. I haven't figured out exactly which ones are repeated in the book yet.
      Should have added Europeans generally like less sugar than do Americans. Don't know about Aussies or other countries...