• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's it sell for in your town?

Craig Camp

I strongly agree with Craig on this. I have a friend who loves pinot grigio. I was so put off by the terrible value that Santa Margherita is that it drove me to find some reasonable alternatives. Nothing exceptional, just a solid, affordable "house" pinot grigio for my friend. I ended up with Tiefenbrunner Pinot Grigio at about $9 per bottle when bought by the case (in NYC). There are many equally attractive alternative pinot grigios at much better prices.

Knowledge is good.

I wanted to get the wholesale info from one of our wine distributors before I posted. She called this afternoon. (We do not offer it where I work -- too expensive).

Cleveland

-$15.33 wholesale/at cost (Hammer Wines)

-$33.00 to $36.00 "average" restaurant price per bottle ( See Circo/Zibibbo )

-$23.00 retail

Ohio Retail Perhaps Highest in Nation, Wine Spectator, October 17, 2003.

:choking smilie:

Edited by beans (log)

It sells for 19.95 Canadian in British Columbia , tax included plus a 10 cent bottle deposit. Reataurants get a very small discount of the retail and typically sell it for 40.00-45.00 dollars.Many restaurants offer a silding scale markup so wines in this category will be marked up higher (as a percentage) than 60.00-100.00 dollar wines.

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

• 2 weeks later...