• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colombian Rums?

Sam Salmon

I've booked a flight to Bogotá for a few weeks hence and an wondering what to look for in terms of unique Rums of excellent value.

I'm no connoisseur but would love to bring back something special to share.

Any/all relevant info/comment/opinion much appreciated.

TIA

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have the names but there are a few Colombian rums that are available in Bogota, take a look in the supermarkets and ask around in the bars, you're sure to find some values and surprises.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I drank a bit of Rum in Colombia and was neither under nor overwhelmed.Colombian Rums all come up to a certain standard but it's not an exceptional one.

In the end I came back with a bottle of Cuban Rum-don't have the bottle handy-that was a very decent deal in Carrefour in Medellin.Aromatic/fruity and cheap is my kind o' drink!

Pics of Colombia http://community.webshots.com/user/esox_lucius

• 3 weeks later...

By far the best rum in Colombia is Havana Club.

That said, there are a few decent Colombian rums such as Ron Viejo; but really when you can get Havana Club for about $8 a bottle why drink anything else?

Bogotá is a great city, have you been there before? Will you visit anywhere else in Colombia?

Go into a local food store, side of the road and get a bottle of rum that has "industrial.." on the bottom label. It has a bit of a Raki taste with quick effects of numbing of the gums, teary eyes and a slight nose drip. I even saw Zorro, but that's another story.

Carman

Carman's Country Kitchen

11th and Wharton

Philadelphia, PA