• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2 days to visit wineries in Napa and/or Sonoma

Alex

A good friend of mine (who has an excellent palate) is getting together with her sisters for a vacation and staying in Yountville this Friday and Saturday. Their meals are pretty well planned out but they still need guidance about which wineries they should visit in those two days. Which ones do you think would be the most interesting, fun, etc?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

any preferance on type of wines? red or white? specific variatels?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

any preferance on type of wines?  red or white? specific variatels?

I don't think they have a preference re color or varietal. I'm thinking that a mix of larger and "boutique" wineries would be the way they'd like to go.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Joseph Phelps has a nice tasting - great wine, beautiful surroundings. Caymus has a fantastic sit-down tasting at a huge oak table, and it's free, although reservations are a must. Last time we were there (about a month ago) they were struggling with a major fruit fly infestation. Of course there are fruit flies in pretty much every winery, but tasting takes on a whole new challenge when you're sneaking gulps of Caymus Cab, removing the piece of paper on top of the glass for as little time as possible. Assuming they've resolved that issue by now, I'd definitely recommend a visit.

allison

I would recommend the following wineries:

Mondavi for the very educational tour (I would start there).

Miner, for the tasty wines, very friendly staff, and beautiful views.

Chateau Lapotelle, not so much for the wines, which are OK, but for the drive.

Storybook Mountain, for Zinfandel worth killing for, and a tour of a tiny facility.

I would not recommend Jarvis or Rudd. Although they make very good wine I felt the wineries lacked any kind of character. Also at Jarvis (not Rudd) the tour guide knows nothing about wine.

I would also recommend the Flora Springs Tasting Room, just a tasting room, but they make very good wines. I have heard that Paloma is well worth the visit, although it may be impossible because their wine was just rated #1 by W.S. Casa Nuestra is off the beaten path. Rombauer makes everyone's (except mine) favorite Chardonnay and the memorabilia in the winery is cool. Schramsberg for sparkling would be my choice, but Domaine Chandon is also interesting.

That's it, I think.

i always tell people to stop by Prager Port, although i'm not sure anyone ever has. john prager will pour you 6 or 7 ports. and he doesn't skimp. :shock:

just don't try to touch his web window. he gets kinda upset if you do.

I did. Thought it was delightful. There was an official "tasting" going on. Ten bucks got you a "souvenir glass" and samples (about 1/4 cup each) of three ports, a cab and a reisling.

The Noble Companion Tawny port was my fave. I bought a bottle. $45.

I recommend it as well.

Also recommend a quick zip through Copia, and lunch at Julia's Kitchen.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We enjoyed the Sterling tour. It is a bit "touristy" but beautiful, a little tram ride up the hillside leads to an interesting tour and tasting room. The outdoor deck off the tasting room is gorgeous and very comfortable.

I'm jealous, have fun.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Here are a few I never miss: St Clement (very friendly and knowledgable), Regusci (some of the best cab in Stag's Leap, also one of the Ghost wineries), DO NOT miss Rutherford Grove, on Hwy 29. They have some of the best Pettite Sirah in the valley!! They also have a picnic grove that is less busy than Satui. Silver Oak, either Napa Valley or Sonoma location. If you have time go over to Dry Creek in Sonoma and go to Preston Winery. Lou Preston makes some of the best bread I have ever eaten and usually has some of his olive oil for sale. Jarvis is OK, the tour is better than the wine. Martini House is one of the best restaurants in the Valley. Don't miss a stop by the CIA and say hello to all my friends. The Wine Spectator Restaurant is also great and next to the bookstore they always have some type of cooking demo. I could go on.................

I'd second the Joseph Phelps and Caymus wineries in Napa. Joseph Phelps has a beautiful estate and many interesting wines.

Given the amount of time; is they would like to go to Sononma one day, probably would have to pick between 'upper' and 'lower' Sonoma.... and then there's the Carneros...

If they haven't been out West much, they might particularly enjoy visiting some of the wineries around the town of Sonoma which has a beautiful square surrounded by historical buildings. Some nice wineries to visit around there are Ravenswood and Gundlach Bundschu. It's a nice drive up on Hwy 12 and have a large choice there, including St. Francis. I like the wines at Matanza's Creek although that is a littler farther drive from Sonoma. Can also do some cheese tasting at the Sonoma Cheese Factory and Vella in downtown Sonoma (Montery Jacks, Dry Jack).

Some of my favorite wineries up in Healdsburg area in Dry Creek and Russian River: J. Fritz. Quivera, Rochioli, Mazzoca, Ridge Lytton Springs. Preston is very beautiful to visit--old farmhouse, nice picnic area but I've been less impressed with the wines the last few times I went. A fun winery to vist is also Hop Kiln in an old Hops building. These wineries are a bit smaller in feel than some of those mentioned around town of Sonoma. Beautfiul scenery.

Well, I'm biased towards Sonoma which is where most of my experience is; if they have time I think it's worth a trip over the mountain!

Note: Many, if not most of the wineries in Sonoma have facilities for having a bringalong picnic lunch. It's something that we always enjoy doing and does not seem to be as prevalent in Napa.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Note: Many, if not most of the wineries in Sonoma have facilities for having a bringalong picnic lunch. It's something that we always enjoy doing and does not seem to be as prevalent in Napa.

I work at Gundlach Bundschu on weekends in Sonoma and agree -- at GunBun, we have a lovely picnic facility. In Napa there are quite simply ORDINANCES AGAINST IT! Silly, huh?

I had friends who tried to picnic on the grounds of Chandon and were told they had to pack-up and leave.

Other than V. Sattui, there are little or no areas allowed for picnics in Napa.

Alex, if your friend is available for a private tour and barrel tasting on Friday, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. My weekday winery job is at a cult-cabernet producer on Howell Mountain and we are in the process of restoring an 19th century French chateau that produces wine in the gravity method. It is pretty amazing to see. (Right now, I and the Vineyard Manager the only ones up here and I don't want to come up on weekends - but Friday would be okay).

I also disagree with the Sterling tour. The tram ride is fun, but the rest is very sterile and touristy.

There are several existing threads on Napa. Here's a few:

A neophyte travelling to Napa asks for advice.

Hope this helps!

I was the neophyte who started this thread. I'm still a neophyte, but I know a little more now than I did when I arrived in Napa.

THe highlight was the "Wine appreciation tour" at Joseph Phelps. We were lucky to be the only people on the tour which started with a tasting in their board room and continued on the patio overlooking the vineyards.

Nice wine and nice, helpful staff.

The tour at Mondavi was good for the process of winemaking and pretty informative.

Bill Russell

In the first link of Carolyn's, I posted about those great maps. They are fabulous.

Clickable map of Napa: very useful.

My chief recommendations:

1. Do not miss the Nienbaum-Coppola winery. There is paraphernalia from all his movies there, including a Tucker automobile (on the second floor...you figure it out), the Godfather's desk, costumes from Bram Stoker's Dracula, etc.). Take a tour. Huge and beautiful grounds. The wines are excellent, of course.

2. With the exception of Niebaum-Coppola, go up the Silverado Trail and avoid the main drag, which is often just clotted with traffic. Besides Phelps, which is beautiful, two great places are S. Anderson (just off the Silverado Trail). They specialize in sparkling wines; I've never had better. Also (can't find a working link) Robert Sinskey vineyards is at the lower end of the Silverado Trail, on the righthand side of the road. It's very nice.

3. Frog's Leap. They have beautiful organic gardens, and if there is anything growing, you can pick it and take it with you. Seriously. One of my favorite places in Napa Valley.

4. Go to the Oakville Grocery and load up on the most amazing condiments and cheeses in creation. Oh, Lordie, be prepared to swoon. The deli's fantastic, too. :wub:

5. Copia is worth a gander.

My advice would be to skip ALL of the "Refinery-not-Winery" tours of the larger producers such as Mondavi, Sterling, Sutter Home, etc. Other than getting a feel for the scale of swill they're putting out, it's pretty much a waste of time that could be better spent at several smaller, higher quality wineries.

Merryvale would be an excellent choice for a medium sized winery with great information available. They have a lovely tour and tasting class that's given in the gorgeous Cask Room:

caskroom-01.jpg

I believe the Wine Component Tasting Seminar (shows you the basics of flavors to analyze wine) is given every Saturday and Sunday morning at the winery. Very instructive.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

i always tell people to stop by Prager Port, although i'm not sure anyone ever has.  john prager will pour you 6 or 7 ports.  and he doesn't skimp.  :shock:

just don't try to touch his web window.  he gets kinda upset if you do.

I did. Thought it was delightful. There was an official "tasting" going on. Ten bucks got you a "souvenir glass" and samples (about 1/4 cup each) of three ports, a cab and a reisling.

in my experience, if you hit him on a slow morning, he'll talk to you for a good hour and pour everything he's got. that personal touch is what i remember. i'm certainly glad you stopped in!

i agree that the Sterling tram ride is fun.

Alex, if your friend is available for a private tour and barrel tasting on Friday, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. My weekday winery job is at a cult-cabernet producer on Howell Mountain and we are in the process of restoring an 19th century French chateau that produces wine in the gravity method. It is pretty amazing to see. (Right now, I and the Vineyard Manager the only ones up here and I don't want to come up on weekends - but Friday would be okay).

BTW, here is our website: Ladera Vineyards

Althought I haven't yet been added as part of the "Team".

Given the number of options in Sonoma/Napa it's hard to say what they will like best. Anyone who is a Zin fan should venture over to the Russian River Valley in Sonoma as ludja recomended above - Quivera, A. Rafanelli, Mazzoco, and Ridge are all great places to visit.

In Napa you can find plenty of spots to have a picnic lunch - Pride on top of spring mtn is a great, they have tables outside their barrel room overlooking the vinyards. Hall, next to Dean and Deluca on highway 29 has a few picnic tables next to the tasting room in their garden. Either place is happy to let you use their facilities if you buy a bottle of wine from them. You could also have a picnic in Crane Park in St Helena.

If I were coming to Napa for only two days, I'd stick to Napa. There's plenty to do there without the hour-each-way trip to Sonoma. Sonoma deserves its own weekend which, for me, would include eating and staying in Jenner. Eating at Land's End and renting a cottage from the Jenner Inn.

And at Sattui, the grounds are only for paying customers. You have to be eating or drinking stuff you bought there -- I think they don't allow outside food, but could be remembering incorrectly. :angry:

amanda

Googlista

And at Sattui, the grounds are only for paying customers. You have to be eating or drinking stuff you bought there -- I think they don't allow outside food, but could be remembering incorrectly. :angry:

I don't believe that is correct. They advertise the fact that they are a picnic ground and it is obvious that many people dining there have their own baskets of goodies that weren't purchased inside.

I'd sooner eat lunch at a bus station than at Sattui. There are parks in every town in the valley where you can have a picnic and there are plenty of wineries that have picnic facilities - there is no reason to be stuck eating at Sattui.

I don't believe that is correct. They advertise the fact that they are a picnic ground and it is obvious that many people dining there have their own baskets of goodies that weren't purchased inside.

Maybe you have to buy their wine or something. I don't remember exactly, I just know there are signs all over the place and that I couldn't eat the lunch I'd brought. Too bad I can't remember what those signs said.

Maybe I felt guilty (for bringing a lunch) for nothing!

amanda

Googlista

Maybe you have to buy their wine or something. I don't remember exactly, I just know there are signs all over the place and that I couldn't eat the lunch I'd brought. Too bad I can't remember what those signs said.

Maybe I felt guilty (for bringing a lunch) for nothing!

I could be wrong (although I brought MY food and don't remember signs)...

I'll drive by and take a look on the way home and report back!