• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boring ol chicken breasts

JennyUptown

• 2 weeks later...
<sound of crickets chirping>

It's kinda quiet out there tonight!  Made the curry.  I was excited as I did the prep, feeling like I might be getting more comfortable in the kitchen...but the end result was just ok.  As the chicken simmered, I tasted the curry and was like "bleeech!!!"  It was more bitter than any curry dish I've ever eaten in a restaurant, that's for sure.  I added more chicken stock to try to dilute it a little and that helped, but it still wasn't a dish I'd be dying to make again.

Jenny,

I went back to this thread for some ideas, and just noticed that you made the curry recipe that I suggested. Sorry you didn't like it! I've made it a few times and it's always been a hit. I am by no means an expert on curry, but I use the Sweet Curry powder that I get from Penzey's, and it's very tasty.

Again, sorry!

One question though:  is Indian curry yellow curry?

I'm picking this up late. Indians don't use curry powder, except in dishes called "American." (I read on some thread in the India forum about a dish made in Delhi that called for curry powder and I think butter and was called "American Chicken.") For best results with curries, get Indian recipes and follow them. You will need individual spices such as cumin, coriander, cardamom, ginger, turmeric, cinammon, cloves, cayenne pepper, black pepper, mustard seeds, and amchoor (unripe mango, which usually comes powdered in my experience), as well as onions and garlic. They will usually be cooked in a tarka (fried in oil) in a particular order for a particular amount of time. If you want recommendations of good Indian cookbooks to start with, I can give you a link or two to threads on the India and Indian Cuisine forum, but for the time being, I can recommend Madhur Jaffrey's An Invitation to Indian Cooking.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Here's a recipe. Pound breast, roll up with swiss cheese in the middle then roll in hazelnuts. Brown in butter and sherry and bake till done.

My favorite way to do boneless skinless breast is to salt and pepper and brown both sides in EVOO using a hot cast iron skillet and finish in a hot, 450F oven for 10 min. Remove and slice. This yields a very moist breast with a nice crust. Simple and sooo good.

No grill? No problem! Get yourself over to any kitchen store and buy a cast-iron grill pan (I love my Lodge, but others like Le Creuset, too). Season that sucker, and then you will almost forget about the mess and hassle of charcoal!

Pound and brine or marinate the chicken breasts, heat up that pan as hot as you can (and preheat the oven, too), slap that chicken on the pan, let it get marked, give it a 90 degree turn and complete the "quadrillage" (diamond pattern); flip it over and stick the whole pan in the oven to finish. All told, not more than a few minutes each step: you want to let the chicken stay nice and moist.

What can I say? I love :wub::wub::wub: my grill pan!