• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boring ol chicken breasts

JennyUptown

As we here in DC wait for the snow to start falling, I am contemplating dinner. I have a little more than a pound of chicken breasts in the fridge, dying to be cooked. I'm thinking of making Sweet & Sour Chicken as shared by Marlene, but I kind of feel like something richer...more savory...heck, more caloric. Blame the cold weather!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Fine Cooking had a great article this month with four really good and simple marinades that became sauces when baked with the chicken. Check that out if you get the chance.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Are these skin on and bone in?

If so, how about sliding some chevre and thyme under the skin.

If not...

Well...

tommy's idea of a Thai curry is a good one.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Cut a slit sideways into the breast so you can stuff it.

If it weren't too cold to go back out I would tell you to go get some proscuitto and mozzerrella. Spread dijon mustard in the slit. Roll up together, stuff inside the chicken and cook. (I always do it on my George, but there is no reason why you can't do it on the stove.) Top with tomato sauce.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

um, o.k. plan B... if these are skinless boneless breasts, dip them in melted butter and then ground nuts mixed with a little flour, salt and grated parmesan. (I mean pecans, walnuts or almonds... PLM has nothing to fear).

Bake about 25 minutes at 350.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Variations of Chicken Schnitzel or Chicken Parmasan, Tempura or Chicken Katsu are all interesting and easily put together or adaptable for any mood.

All may be adapted to Rice, Potatoes, Pasta, Udon, Raman, Noodles or Vegetables do it your way especially sauced with whatever takes your fancy from your pantry.

Irwin :biggrin:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

In typical single girl who can't cook (but who is trying, or trying to try), I am short an ingredient for most of the delicious-sounding preparations noted.

But you've helped me build a post-snow shopping list and for that, I am most grateful.

PLM is on his way over soon so I'll be logging off momentarily.

Easiest thing on earth, and my husband's favorite recipe of all time. (We are goat cheese sluts, I admit.)

Ingredients:

1. We're obviously talking about half breasts with the skin on. (You could, I suppose, use skinless breasts and split and stuff them, but the skin is so good.)

2. Fresh rosemary

3. One shallot

4. Goat cheese

5. A little olive oil

Preheat oven to 350°.

Sauté minced shallots until translucent and soft in about 1 T. of olive oil (1 shallot for three or four breasts is good. Turn off the heat and add rosemary (only fresh, of course, and chopped as fine as possible) and goat cheese (2-3 T. per breast—or more!), and a little turn of ground pepper. When it softens, stick it under the chicken skin (that is the fun part) and use toothpicks to batten down the hatches.

Cook for 25 minutes or so, depending on how big your breasts are. Um, you know what I mean.

WHOOPS! Edited to include goat cheese.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Easiest thing on earth, and my husband's favorite recipe of all time. (We are goat cheese sluts, I admit.)

Ingredients:

1. We're obviously talking about half breasts with the skin on. (You could, I suppose, use skinless breasts and split and stuff them, but the skin is so good.)

2. Fresh rosemary

3. One shallot

4. A little olive oil

Preheat oven to 350°.

Tana, I've done the same thing with goat cheese and fresh thyme. Delicious, and so easy. I brown them on the stove and finish in the oven.

Goat cheese sluts. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

a thai curry with coconut milk is easy and quite satisfying.

and, of course, you could make chicken larb.

Is your larb receipe somewhere in that massive thread? I have tried (and failed) to get through it. So many posts!!

tommy doesn't have a larb recipe in the recipe database but snow angel does.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

Pan fried with:

- mushrooms (dried wild if you have), shallots, garlic, red wine (or Marsala), creme fraiche

- cream cheese, bacon, shallots, bay leaf, thyme

- leeks, cream, little bit of lemon juice, perhaps some white wine

Or, for the true calorie fest, mash up some tarragon with butter, push under the skin, roast or grill till done, carve nicely + arrange on plate, meanwhile pour double cream, a bit of salt + pepper into the pan juices, bubble till thickened, adjust seasoning maybe with some lemon juice. Cries out for mashed potatoes (and an artery reamer).

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

Chicken Roulades

Butterfly skinless boneless breasts (cut them in half the flat way so they're twice as thin and open like books) and then pound so they're nice and flat)

food process a couple tomatoes, some garlic cloves, some olive oil and a bunch of red pepper flakes into a paste.

Roll up with goat cheese, chopped basil leaves and the tomato paste mixture inside and toothpick them to keep them closed.

fry in a pan until browned, then cover with a lid and turn heat to medium low, and let cook in pan for 10-15 minutes.

Slice into little rounds and serve with rice!

Here's a quick meal. Pound thin, cut into chicken "fingers", spread with mayo, season, dip in panko and bake at 400F for about 15 mins. Serve with homemade honey mustard (mayo with dijon and honey). Serve with vegetable chowder (toss veggies with OO, S&P, roast for about 30 mins, pop in pot with butter, make light roux and add veg stock and a little cream and simmer). Kind of like bar food at home but better. Drink with beer and finish with chocolate. Fits with cold weather.

Also vote for Curlywurlyfi's tarragon dish and tanabutler's goat cheese. Mmm...

Chicken Roulades

This is a great technique for the use of breasts plus random stuff you've got hanging around. You can pretty much stuff them with whatever you want (sauteed mushrooms and shallots, cheeses, spinach, prosciutto, etc..).

It's sometimes easier to roll them up in aluminum foil then twist the ends to keep everything together. Then sear the foil package in a hot pan (don't use oil or butter or anything-- and only use a single layer of foil) rotating to get all sides and then slide the pan into the oven to finish cooking (400 for about 15-20 min). Simple, and the sliced roulades actually look impressive.

Chris Sadler