• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Global's Minosharp knife sharpener

rgruby

I had a good look at the gadget-there's a gimmick to it I don't like-the water.

Simply put there is no way anyone could put enough force on a blade to 'overheat' it.

The design is a variation on a number I've seen-all are a somewhat effective- but personally I'd choose one that's a bit less of a PITA to use.

Overheating?

Well, you can't blame them for trying.

I've been making knives from scratch for two years now, and Molybdenum Vanadium steel is probably the most resistant to goofed heat-treating of any on the market. I have:

Blasted it with Mapp gas and oxyacetylene until it stretches like taffee

Run it on the belt sander until it sinks into my (accidental) skin like an anvil into

Wile E. Coyote's noggin.

Whapped it so hard with a sledgehammer until it broke my (not-cartoon) anvil plumb in two.

And after it all, it still holds a preposterously sturdy edge.

Love them Globals. They're still the best knives on the market. But they don't require anything more than a ceramic sharpening rod. Any more contraptions, and they're ripping you off.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old topic, but I just wanted to bring it up again in case anybody else had any input as to the Minosharp.

Also, has anybody had any experience with the Global MinoSharp Professional Knife Sharpening Kit? Does this even compare at all to the Spyderco system?

Thanks!

I have that thing. It came with my Global knives when I bought them in Tokyo several years back. Initially, I think I used it, and I think it may have destroyed my knives. This may be due to me not really knowing how to use the thing though. Either way, I don't use it any more.

I love my Gloval knives, but they seem to go dull VERY quickly. I have a ceramic "steel" and use it, but they still seem to lose their edge astonishingly quickly. Not sure if this is due to having used the tool mentioned above and somehow damaging the knives, or some other factor.

Austin

I have used the MinoSharp for some time. It does a decent job in bringing back the sharpness in the Globals, but in my experience, the knives lose their edge rapidly.

One drawback is that you have to be very careful with the use of this sharpener, it's very easy to "scratch" your kives. You may get a 1/4 inch scratch along both sides of the blade when the wheel comes in contact with that part of the knife.

Arley Sasson

• 2 weeks later...

IMHO, if you're serious about your knives, APEX sharpening system is the (only) way to go. Yes, it's some more expensive, but does this kind of money really matters when you're investing once for many years? You just buy convenience and flexibility - and, less chance to damage your knives.

I personally don't like Globals, but all my favorite knives are Japanese, from Hattori, Masahiro, and such.

I've been using my Globals and the minosharp for about 2 years (home use only). I've had none of the issues mentioned above. My knives hold their edge (again in home use) for about 3-4 weeks. The sharpener was clearly created for the average home user and not professionals. I happened to be trained by a Global rep in the use of the minosharp - pressure, # of run throughs, etc and have had no problems. I did have a friend who messed up their blade in a mino but the company immediately replaced it.

My 2 cents.

I have a Global chef's knife and I've used it professionally and now just at home. I use a 'normal' steel (by Wusthof actually) and I sharpen with an oil stone that i've had for years. No problems.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

For anyone that uses the APEX system, is the traditional kit sufficient or do you highly recommend the upgraded kits?

You can live with the basic kit, but I went with upgraded. Couple more stones and a good ceramic steel worth the difference.

The only way to sharpen better then Apex I'm aware of, is a traditional whet stone sharpening - for those who know to do it - I don't.