• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Organic Delivery Service

Coop

Hi Coop,

One service that we're using now is Biovia. I don't have the number handy, but they should be in the book. Kim and Peter are the people you will want to talk to. I'm not sure if they do home delivery, but they do service restaurants.

I'm no expert on the restaurant industry, but I know a thing or two about drug abuse ...

-Daddy-A (Kitchen Troll)

We used one of these services a few years ago. With both of us working, we ate out fairly often, and found it a bit of a challenge to use up the stuff before it went bad. We didn't always know exactly what we would be getting, which was OK. Figuring out how to use up the occasional "surprise" ingredient was often fun.

We stopped the service after about 6 months for two reasons - the amount of wastage we ended up having, and (the final straw) a delivery in which the lettuce was crawling with aphids. (welcome to the world of organics).

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the place - wouldn't be surprised that they don't even exist under that name any more.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

We also tried organic veg by home delivery a few years ago... although the taste was superior, we initially had trouble getting the selections we'd picked. The company later went to a more flexible ordering system, so we didn't end up with stuff we truly hated (swiss chard, fennel). But I found it was a lot of work, because certain items had to be stored certain ways -- organic stuff is a LOT more perishable, of course -- and some of it must be eaten quite promptly, within 2-3 days. In the end, I realized I would pay about the same or less (and waste less) if I simply bought my organic produce as needed down the street.

Now Coop, given your neighborhood, you might indeed LOVE having access to good, fresh, organic produce that you can't source elsewhere. It's very convenient, having someone drop off a big Rubbermaid box of fresh food. And the jr. Coops will help you eat it all, right? Good luck!

We use SPUD (www.spud.ca) at the office and they are great. I agree though...you get a fair amount of surprise ingredients if they need to replace things, but the quality has always been fantastic. SPUD also delivers organic meat (frozen) and other ingredients. Mr. Sasskitty and I are going to be getting home delivery from them soon. Good luck and let us know how it goes... :smile:

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to revive this topic to see if anyone has any new (or old :biggrin: )

experiences with organic delivery service to report. Coop... did you try it and if so, do you like it?

I've been considering either the delivery service or joining a farm co-op but I don't have enough details about the latter just yet and it may be too late for this year in any case.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Appreciator, by co-op do you mean something like this, Community Supported Agriculture, because I too am interested in joining one, even if it means I have to have brief contact with hippies. I draw the line at interacting with vegans however.

I see there's one serving Whistler/Pemberton, but none listed in the GVRD. Anyone know of something like this here?

Yes Keith... that is exactly what I meant by farm co-op. I am positive there are some in the GVRD as I read about this concept some 10 plus years ago, though I can't for the life of me remember the details.

Anyone.......

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Appreciator, by co-op do you mean something like this, Community Supported Agriculture, because I too am interested in joining one, even if it means I have to have brief contact with hippies. I draw the line at interacting with vegans however.

I see there's one serving Whistler/Pemberton, but none listed in the GVRD. Anyone know  of something like this here?

Here are a few that have pick ups locally:

Glen Valley Organic Farm 604 857 7585

Nathan Creek Farm 604 857 7587

Sudoa Farms: 250 835 8332

I think a lot of them operate year round, with more herbs and flowers in the spring, root vegetables in winter etc. I believe some of them also trade with other coops to offer organic or free range eggs and meat.

Farm Folk/City Folk might be a good source for further investigation. Good Luck!

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

We have used Spud for the past 4 years and we stop in the summer as we have our own produce coming in from our own garden. But we really like Spud and thier service . We find their price would be the same if we bought it at the grocery shop but we get it delivered instead and it makes us eat more fruits and veggies, plus you can order other things like breads from Uprising and other products. All in all very happy!

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

Thanks ananstee! I found this link to Farm Folk City Folk Farm Folk/City Folk CSAs but it's basically the same info as you've given above.

Have you had experience with any of the places you listed?

DameD... sounds like Spud's really working for you :biggrin: From doing a very small amount of research, it seems like they are pretty much the only organic delivery service that's still operating in Vancouver. Or perhaps I'm mistaken and it's just that they're the biggest.

sarah

Thanks for the link Joie. One good point in GEO's favour is that they carry Granola King granola... :wub: .

Have you used their services?

I think I need to do some more research on the CSA options, as I quite like the concept of having more of a direct link with my food. (Can't grow much on my balcony unfortunately :sad: )

sarah

No, actually, I've never used Green Earth Organics. When Quick.com was in existence and Noah was a wee tot, I ordered from them quite frequently. They were outstanding, and I was sad to see the service go under. That being said, I started to use grocery shopping excursions as an almost zen-like break from Mommy duties and eventually weaned myself off of home delivery. :rolleyes:

Keep us posted on your reconnaissance efforts!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 1 year later...

I've been using Organics at Home for about a year now and am very happy. They are probably the nicest folks I've ever bought bananas from - it really is a liberation after supermarket shopping. I use them for all my fruits, veg and dairy plus some dried fruits and nuts.

Interesting!

Similar to Victoria's Green Box program which I was part of for a while. THe random veggies are kind of fun but sometimes when you get home late from work trying to sort out what to do with a particular type of squash can be a little hard.

This one looks like you get to choose :)

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello