• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosa Mexicano Sucks Ventworm Nut

DonRocks

You can easily fill up on chips, guac, and salsa --all good, and a margarita. Just stick to that.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Okay Mr DonRocks, I am going to disagree with you on this one. Even though I have been only once, and can't remember anything I ate! What I do remember is the food was decent, it was not your usual TeXMex, seemed fairly original. The quality of our entres and appetizers were good. I do remember the guacamole and it was delicious. The pomegranate margaritas are fine. Sure it probably isn't the finest dining establishment in the area but for Mexican food, I thought it was great. Maybe we should both give it another try, and if I hate it, I will post, and if you like it you do the same? :laugh:

I can't believe with the upgrade they did not add spellcheck!!! :wacko:

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

I think part of RM's problem is that there are so many better choices in the neighborhood. Although I'd gladly meet a friend for guacamole and beer (I'm not a fan of their prefab frozen drinks, but that's just me) there, if I want a full meal, RM is maybe...tenth or so down the list of options.

<man, I am so glad that I'm not outside right now!!>

I went with a friend to Rosa Mexicana at her suggestion. Guacamole - fabulous! Service - bored. Food - unmemorable, I literally can't remember what I ate. Dessert - horrid! Overall? Well, let's just say I won't be going there again any time soon.....

The last regular magarita I had there (no more than two months ago) was about as bad as the railiest rail one at sports bar in middle America. 

Locally,  I might try private schools in Alexandria!  I miss those treats from Fourth grade.

Now, now, be nice. How else do you get them calmed down for grammar class??

And they all said it was "yucky." Maybe it was carryout from Rosa Mexicano?

Rick Azzarano

So here was my take on the place. Went last night with a group (there were 8 of us) of people for a birthday. The service, I thought, was good. I got there early and had a couple of Negra Modelos at the bar. The chips (as was mentioned in earlier posts) were a little too salty for me but I did enjoy the two salsas. The red one was nice and smoky with a good bit of heat to it and the green salsa (tomatillo I assume) was nice and tangy. My only complaint about the salsa was that they were both a little to thin - but that is probably a personal style issue. The retaurant was not too crowded (but it was only 5:30) and the hostess seated me even though I was the only person who had arrived. I was a little surprised as it seems many restaurants have the "don't seat the party until everyone and their dog has arrived" policy. The waiter while getting me some water (and even asking if I wanted tap or bottled) asked if it was some sort of event and I told him it was a birthday. He then asked me to point out the birthday girl when she arrived, which I did - nice touch I thought-showed some thoughtfullness. We all ordered appetizers and some extras instead of entrees for dinner. We were all pretty pleased with what we got. I ordered the appetizer that had small shrimp sauteed in a tomato sauce with onions and carrot slices and served with small corn tortillas to wrap it all in - sorry I can't remember the name and it is not on their online menu. I enjoyed it quite a bit - certainly more than I expected. The right amount of heat, shrimp not overcooked, just the right amount of onions (not drowned in them but not sparse either) and enough tortillas so that I didn't have to ask for extra. Oh and we get a couple orders of the guac. Now I have never in my life had guac (something about green, slimy food) but I figured if I was going to like it, it would be here. While it was good, my taste buds would've liked some lime juice and a little salt to pick up the flavor. Not bad but not worth what they charge for it. Other dishes ordered that I tried were the empanadas and the Zarape de Pato. The empanadas were good but the zarape de pato was the best. We, of course, ordered desert and the waiter was kind enough to put a candle in the birthday girl's flan. I had the Chocolate-Chipotle Boca Negra, which I enjoyed thoroughly. I really enjoyed the balance between the chocolate and the chipotle - to quote another diner, "It's like a party on your tongue." While I think the texture was a little off (a little too soft for me), it was still good. Overall it was a much better experience than I expected. Now, that said, I do think the prices are high for the food but the service was good, attentive and not overbearing and I quite liked the interior. If I'm looking for good Mexican food I will likely go elsewhere but it was a fun experience.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson

OK, went to RM tonight with hub and kids. Had a Tempranillo, fine for $24. For apps we had Guacamole and Seafood stuffed Poblano in a cream Sauce. Very Very good. The Guacamole was great. It was Chunky and spiced just enough. For entrees, I had the Spinach Stuffed Peppers with Pinenuts and Goat Cheese. it was mild tasting but pleasing. By this time I was stuffed so I took half of it home and ordered no dessert. Again, I think Rosa Mexicano is a welcome relief from the Tex-Mex that is all over the place here. Sure there are better restaurants near there, but if you are craving Mexican, I haven't been to any other place in DC I would recommend above this. The only other Mexicans that I have visited that may be better are Zarela's in NY and Frontera in Chicago.

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

• 5 months later...

I have found myself with a truly unfortunate addiction: Rosa Mexicano's divine guacamole (medium spicy) washed down with a Negra Modelo.

Although the menu description of the guacamole ($12) says "serves two," that's not exactly true when I'm one of the customers. I turn into one selfish b*tch when the molcajete is set in front of me. My attitude is "get your own!!"

So why is this addiction so unfortunate, you ask?

Because as DonRuckus said long ago, RM sucks ventworm nuts [otherwise]. Last Saturday night's festivities began with me getting my guacamole fix at a barroom table. The three of us, celebrating a birthday and starting out sorta low key, gobbled up the green goodness quickly. Still hungry, I voted for more guacamole, but was overruled by my two friends who don't read egullet and thus don't know about the rest of the menu's suckiness.

We got:

Empanadas de Jaiba ($12)

Menu description: Three soft corn empanadas filled with jumbo lump crabmeat served with peach pico de gallo and avocado tomatillo salsa

Suck factor: Mass-produced blah-ness. The three perfectly-shaped empanadas looked suspiciously Sysco-esque. And three for $12 doesn't exactly scream "value," does it? Julia's empanadas are way, way better.

Flautas de Pollo ($7.50)

Rolled crispy chicken tacos topped with salsa rojo, salsa verde and sour cream

Suck factor: Unbearable saltiness (and I like salt).

Also, we asked for the sour cream on the side to allow my friend with a severe dairy allergy to live out the rest of her birthday evening. She asked our server if cheese was involved and was told "no." The flautas, which might have been ok if not for the high salt factor, were topped with Mexican white cheese.

Such a shame. They could make a mint from me because I will continue going there for guacamole and beer, but I have learned: once my yearning is satisfied, it's time to hit the road. Shoulda listened to Rocks.

Edited by JennyUptown (log)

Julia's empanadas are way, way better.

Changing the subject a little to empanadas....Perhaps this merits a new thread. With all due respect to Julia's, every time I've gotten one there it's been fairly good, but the pastry was too bready, not flaky at all, and the think tasted like it had been sitting under heat lamps for about 8 hours. Perhaps JennyUptown meant this comment in context, anyway...

Ever since I travelled to the caribbean, I have fallen in loooove with empanadas. :wub: The best ones BY FAR that I have found in the area are at Luzmila's Bolivian Cuisine in Falls Church. The empanada de queso picante is delish. They also have saltenas which are like a juicier meat empanada.

I'm curious if people have tried any empanadas in the area that they thought were particularly good.