• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosa Mexicano Sucks Ventworm Nut

DonRocks

We went with our theater companions to the Shakespeare Theater's Henry IV Sunday. Dazed by 3 1/2 hours of iambic pentameter, we staggered up 7th street in search of food, any food. We found Rosa Mexicano.

My companions had the pomegranite slurpees, oops, I mean margaritas, and pronounced them passable. I opted for an under-chilled margarita, served up, in a martini shaped glass so full it was impossible to lift it without spilling on myself. It was tasty for about 60 seconds then became too warm.

We ordered the guacamole (tasty) with chips (very salty). We were amused by the tableside prep - watching the waiter deftly gut and filet the poor little avocados. We liked the guac enough to get a second order.

After a hearty laugh at the entree prices, we opted for a round of appetizers. Calamares were fried little bits of something with a lot of salt. Queso fundido was OK but needed spicier chorizo. Tiny shrimp and mushrooms had tasty mushrooms with flavorless shrimp, with nice crunchy picked veggies on top. The best was the coconut milk, lime, and habanero ceviche - unfortunately served with the same extremely salty chips.

Desserts were a mixed bag. Tres Leches cake and apple cake were good, chipotle-chocolate cake was awful. Good coffee served in large cups, so that it's half cold before you're done with it.

The bathrooms have the same tiny-sink-with-faucet-sticking-out-of-the-wall trendy design that Zaytinyah has, so that it's impossible to wash your hands without splashing water all over. :hmmm:

(Edit to say that Scott pointed out that he was able to wash his hands twice without splashing himself, and says that I should just drink my coffee faster. :rolleyes: )

Edited by hjshorter (log)

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Mr. Donrocks is a restaurants worse nightmare, lighten up, say something constructive or interesting about food or don't say anything at all. 

www.ilovetocomplain.com

That's bull. That first post was amazingly interesting.

Moreover, it was constructive, if you were able to read it.

He gave some fairly descriptive criticisms.

Avocado, jalapenos, onions, tomatos, cilantro, and crack.

Maybe they include enough crack to make the whole meal a good value.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

It seems to me that this restaurant is getting alot of feedback, so I must assume that they are doing quite well in their prime location. I know alot of foodies on this board don''t have many nice things to say about poor Rosa....but they must be making mucho dinero. I ate there and I don't think that they are up to some of the nicer Mexican or Latin restaurants in that area but they aren't terrible either.

They just need to hire less servers with no experience and more people in the kitchen with experience. But that is usually the case in any big place in a high visibility area like the MCI Center. My short ribs were pretty good and the Guac

Rocks! But after awhile the entree started to taste a little generic.

Thats about all I can say about Rosa's place, except like I stated before in a previous post, the sinks in the bathroom are crap!

I don't have anything to add regarding the restaurant itself, but I just had to say, again, how much I enjoyed DonRocks's concise review of RM.  :biggrin:

I loved it so much I shared it with others (credited back to this thread, of course). 

I still can't say something 'sucks' without thinking 'ducks, bucks, monster trucks' immediately afterwards.

I think he did say 'why' he thought the place sucked, and he just happens to have a very thorough way of expressing said suckage.  good for him.

Cakewench, your avatar looks a little like ventworms!

I love this thread too. 'Sucks' has been reiterated in my vocabualry. There are many levels of suckiness. If it sucks, sucks, sucks it best not cost a lot!! Sucks my wallet.

SUCKS

Cakewench, your avatar looks a little like ventworms! 

So ventworms are actually Marshmallow Peeps that ran into a wall? :blink:

That does not look like any ventworm I was ever served, let alone the nuts.

Okay, I'll still don't know what ventworm nuts are. I googled "ventworm" and got the one and only result from Rock's post. :huh:

A vent worm is...

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

I have to agree with the first part of this thread, we went to Rosa Mexicano here in NY (the original on Lexington and 58th) with another couple a few weeks ago and were floored when the bill showed up. Keep in mind this was a celebratory occasion fueled by many margaritas, appitizers and shared dishes, but still when it was all over we were flabbergassed by the bill. They do a nice job with many of their dishes, the short ribs were great, the lamb shank sublime, ect.....but this place is very typical of a NY 'expense account' restaurant, great to take customers to, but not so great otherwise.

fueled by many margaritas,

indeed they are not cheap and can add up.

but this place is very typical of a NY 'expense account' restaurant, great to take customers to, but not so great otherwise

being a fan (of the original, and *not* the west side outlet - and apologies to the DC folks reading this, but i've never been to that one), i'd say that i've only spent my own money there about 10% of my visits. i suppose when you couple that with the margaritas it becomes pretty clear why i'm a big proponent of the place. :laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

We went with our theater companions to the Shakespeare Theater's Henry IV Sunday. Dazed by 3 1/2 hours of iambic pentameter, we staggered up 7th street in search of food, any food. We found Rosa Mexicano.

My companions had the pomegranite slurpees, oops, I mean margaritas, and pronounced them passable. I opted for an under-chilled margarita, served up, in a martini shaped glass so full it was impossible to lift it without spilling on myself. It was tasty for about 60 seconds then became too warm.

We ordered the guacamole (tasty) with chips (very salty). We were amused by the tableside prep - watching the waiter deftly gut and filet the poor little avocados. We liked the guac enough to get a second order.

After a hearty laugh at the entree prices, we opted for a round of appetizers. Calamares were fried little bits of something with a lot of salt. Queso fundido was OK but needed spicier chorizo. Tiny shrimp and mushrooms had tasty mushrooms with flavorless shrimp, with nice crunchy picked veggies on top. The best was the coconut milk, lime, and habanero ceviche - unfortunately served with the same extremely salty chips.

Desserts were a mixed bag. Tres Leches cake and apple cake were good, chipotle-chocolate cake was awful. Good coffee served in large cups, so that it's half cold before you're done with it.

The bathrooms have the same tiny-sink-with-faucet-sticking-out-of-the-wall trendy design that Zaytinyah has, so that it's impossible to wash your hands without splashing water all over. :hmmm:

(Edit to say that Scott pointed out that he was able to wash his hands twice without splashing himself, and says that I should just drink my coffee faster. :rolleyes: )

First, I need to ask what you thought of Hank 4. It's one of my favourites, but I had such a life-alteringly horrible experience when I was unfortunate enough to be in the audience at the Shakespeare Theatre's "version" of Ghosts that it hurts just to walk by that theatre now. And I work right around the corner so it's hard to avoid.

Secondly, try El Mariachi in Rockville for Mexican. It's in a strip mall behind an IHOP on Rockville Pike. It's really good. The margueritas are not frozen, homemade, and fabulous. The chips and salsa are quite excellent. My favourite item on their menu is a sizzling shrimp in spiced butter -- I don't remember the exact name of it. My partner loves both of their pork dishes. They have really good flan (I'm pretty sure that it's cream cheese based)! It's worth the tip into suburban hell.

i suppose when you couple that with the margaritas it becomes pretty clear why i'm a big proponent of the place. :laugh:

Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed in you Tommy. You did me wrong by recommending the place. :raz:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

First, I need to ask what you thought of Hank 4. It's one of my favourites, but I had such a life-alteringly horrible experience when I was unfortunate enough to be in the audience at the Shakespeare Theatre's "version" of Ghosts that it hurts just to walk by that theatre now. And I work right around the corner so it's hard to avoid.

Secondly, try El Mariachi in Rockville for Mexican. It's in a strip mall behind an IHOP on Rockville Pike. It's really good.

Henry IV part 2 was OK, well acted, and of course well designed and directed, but I much preferred the staging from 1994 where parts I and II were combined. It made for a more dynamic evening. It didn't help that we saw part 1 a month ago. If I had to see the whole enchilada over again I would opt to see them back to back. I share your opinion of Ghosts. We're subscribers so we take the good with the bad, and fortunately it's mostly good.

Thanks for the El Mariachi tip - we can walk there from our house and really enjoy it. The staff is great and the food is good.

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

• 1 month later...

I never made it to the DC branch, but I still remember enjoying the east-side original in New York. Tonight I made Budin Azteca con Mole Verde and remembered why. The recipe is not in Josefina's book, but the components are, and that was enough to reconstruct it. It's a layered pie of chicken, queso fresco, mole verde, and corn tortillas baked in a springform pan and then covered with more mole verde. The mole verde is made from tomatillo, greens, cilantro, chicken stock and toasted pumpkin seed paste.

It's sad indeed that the current incarnation of this place seems not to resemble what it used to be.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 1 month later...

Oh, my head. After a lemonos maximus and an apricot sour at Zaytinya, we headed over to the party at Rosa Mexicano.

I switched to beer so I can't comment on Rosa's famed margaritas. The guacamole on the other hand...truly amazing. Loved it. Didn't eat anything else though which could explain the headache.

• 4 weeks later...

Uhhm, "Long time listener, first time caller.." (Grosse Pointe Blank) If, and I say this as a long-time bartender, you order a specialty drink, such as the pomegranate margarita, you might want to recognize that, as a specialty cocktail, it is mass-produced. In a perfect world, the bartenders would take a great deal of pride in making you a concoction you'd be proud to come back and order. But alas, we live in an imperfect world where your servers judge you, and even if the special drink doesn't come from a tap, you are probably destined to be underwhelmed by it. Call for a Cosmo, Apple Martini, or (any) margarita, and the server writes you off automatically. Wrong and unfair, I know, but after witnessing a decade in this business, please, PLEASE don't drink what TV tells you to. Having your own sense of, eh elan or frisson can't be that bad can it? Drink what you like!!! And for God's sake, if the restaurant you are dining in isn't Latin, don't order a mojito. Or if you really want to achieve a higher state of being, NEVER order a mojito. Have fun, by not ordering off the drink menu. Push the bartender's buttons, make him show you what HE has discovered. I'm willing to bet you'd be more satisfied by his/her recommendations than by paying $10 dollars for sweet/sour mix if you order the "special". :unsure:

• 1 month later...

My wife and I are going to this place tonight for a friend's birthday (her choice not ours) - anyone been recently? Has the place improved at all? In any respect? As much as I am encouraged by restaurants in this area that actually serve mole, I am really not looking forward to eating here.

"See these? American donuts. Glazed, powered, and raspberry-filled. Now, how's that for freedom of choice."

-Homer Simpson