• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosa Mexicano Sucks Ventworm Nut

DonRocks

On the menu at Rosa Mexicano, there are two items listed by themselves on the top, clearly intended as grabbers: the pomegranate margarita, and the guacamole.

The pomegranate margarita is dispensed soft-serve style out of the wall behind the bar. Almost magically, it seems to keep flowing and flowing, seemingly at the rate of ten gallons per second.

Question: where do you think it comes from?

Do you think the conscientious Tequila-master is sitting there behind the wall, thoughtfully mixing crystal shot glasses full of Patron Anejo into the swirling machine?

Think the pomegranate juice is from the farmers market?

At least Fat Tuesday’s has more than one flavor.

The guacamole is fabulous, wonderful and a bargain at ten dollars. It’s a cleverly crafted strategy, having this as the signature dish. Are you going to go to Rosa Mexicano, next to the MCI Center with $15 valet parking, and order a guacamole with a glass of ice water? If you do, your food will be a terrific value. If you don’t …

Washington DC is the third outlet for this chain restaurant. Atlanta, Georgia is soon to be the fourth. Any guesses for number five? Six? Seven? Get the picture?

Let’s call a spade a spade: this factory serves processed-tasting food intended for the masses who naively think they’re getting something more meaningful than they would at Cheesecake Factory. Even the tortilla chips taste like they came from the bulk food section at Shoppers Food Warehouse (as opposed to Rio Grande and Cactus Cantina, two high-volume operations that get the chips right).

Rosa Mexicano sucks. It sucks! How much does it suck? It sucks, that’s how much it sucks. It sucks ducks, bucks, monster trucks, hockey pucks, guys named Chuck, migrant workers that shuck, lightning bolts that struck, sewage workers wallowing in muck, rear-wheel drive cars that are stuck, vagrants who are down on their luck, babys who taste spinach for the first time and say yuck, and don’t think for a moment I’ve forgotten about the word fuck. There!

My coworker's son works at the Enchalada station. He just graduated from the CIA, I wonder if this is a good career move?

She says the place is packed every time she has gone :blink:

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Rosa Mexicano sucks. It sucks! How much does it suck? It sucks, that’s how much it sucks. It sucks ducks, bucks, monster trucks, hockey pucks, guys named Chuck, migrant workers that shuck, lightning bolts that struck, sewage workers wallowing in muck, rear-wheel drive cars that are stuck, guys who are down on their luck, babys who taste spinach for the first time and say yuck, and don’t think for a moment I’ve forgotten about the word fuck. There!

Yeah, but should I go? :smile:

I never had one of those soft-serve pomegranite margaritas--I stick to the traditional lime-based liquid variety, and I always liked the food at the original location in NYC. If the quality has fallen off a cliff, it's a real shame.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

If I can say a little funny something:

Right this very moment , Rosa Mexicano is doing a tortilla soup demo at Dupont Farmer's Market.

All I'll say is that someone important forgets their own recipe. Good PR move to hit farmer's market, though....

(I might go to hell for posting this) :hmmm:

I ate there and was left feeling that we overpayed for what we got, but I

will say that the food was not terrible, but way overpriced.

They try to give you an authentic upscale Mexican experience, but seem to

miss the mark on alot of things. Some tweeking needs to be done.

First, the waiters need to be a little more synchronized with their service.

2nd. Spend some time hiring bartenders and training them on how to make drinks

that are worth the money you're paying.

3rd. The 10.00 guacamole tableside is nice, but the chips are average.

4th. The menu is well thought out, but needs to be executed less like a chain

restaurant and more like Rosa would.

5th. GET RID OF THE TRENDY BATHROOM ELECTRONIC SINKS WITH NO FAUCETS

TO PUT YOUR HANDS UNDER WHAT THE HELL IS THAT. THE MIKE BRADY DESIGN FROM TRENDY HELL!

Other than that I had a pretty good time, and would go back again, but be a little more selective, however, if Cafe Atlantico was closer to the MCI Center, I would much rather dine there, it's not Mexican but who cares.

The Doctor is Out! :wink:

Edited by doctoro (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Tom is a highly trained professional, with an extensive vocabulary. He stays away from the oft-used slang prevelant in reviews these days, such as the much-overused phrase "sucks ventworm nut."

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

Tom is a highly trained professional, with an extensive vocabulary. He stays away from the oft-used slang prevelant in reviews these days, such as the much-overused phrase "sucks ventworm nut."

Plus, it's not PC to use slang in a family newspaper. I'm sure he doesn't want to offend the local ventworm population, zip code 20815 (teasing).

I had the ventworm nut appetizer which i thought was quite tasty. Perhaps Mr Rocks had the entree. The nuts were extracted from the ventworm tableside-- I thought that was a nice touch.

:blink:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I went in the other day for lunch and ordered the Ventworm Nuts as an appetizer. I think the Ventworms had been in the tank too long without being fed because the nuts were not very juicy. Kind of dry and chewy, not juicy and creamy like I am used to. They sort of had the same texture as the Rocky Mountain Oysters that they serve at the Buckhorn in Denver. I sent them back and they took them off of my bill. I also suggested to the waiter that they might want to consider serving them with a cream or mayonaisse sauce.

went for dinner a few weeks ago and i gotta say...it sucked much less than I was expecting it to...the servers have a kinda glazed over "service schitck" where you get pushed to order the pretty decent guacamole before you have taken off your coat...food was pretty good but everything looks cooler on small cool plates...just its kinda hard to eat the pork tacos when the plate is decontructed to the point of a ten step process to be able to eat it...

listen to Black Sabbath..often

Mr. Donrocks is a restaurants worse nightmare, lighten up, say something constructive or interesting about food or don't say anything at all.

www.ilovetocomplain.com

Soupkitchen, welcome to the DC board.

Perhaps you would care to enlighten us with your feedback regarding the DC branch of Rosa Mexicano? What did you like when you visited there?

My D.C. brother-in-law called late last week to tell me that some radio restaurant guy down there (Sietsma?) ripped Rosa Mexicano a new one on his show, saying that one should stop in for the guacamole, have a cold beer or a BASIC Margarita and then go somewhere else for dinner. Fwiw, here in NYC, the new RM, on the west side, has gotten pretty much the reception that Donrocks has given your version. The original location, on the upper east side, has taken a considerable tumble in recent years, btw. It's pretty much "get some guacamole, a beer and a margarita and haul ass" anymore there as well. Oh, on a side note, I had the horrible misfortune of dining at the Baltimore Austin Grill last Monday. Would have been better going to Taco Bell, or even getting the two-tacos-for-99 cents at Burger King, I'd say.

I guess you aren't doing Rosa Mexicano's $40 cooking class (w/included lunch) this sunday then. heh :) Somehow RM seems to think they are good. Not sure how. :)

Perhaps they will be demonstrating their unusual ventworm nut preparation.