• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor for a backpacking trip

Jeffy Boy

I was just recalling a backpacking trip from my younger days, where we brought a couple of wineskins full of vodka, and some packets of Tang crystals (to make Screwdrivers).

My tastes have matured a little since then, so I'm curious:

what would you bring along for a 4-day backpacking trip, for a little fun around the campfire?

Remember - weight and space are at a premium (penalty for anything you have to bring in a bottle), and there ain't no ice or refrigeration.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I didn't know what "Everclear" was, so I searched on-line. Found this on Webtender.com.

You tryin' to kill me? :shock:

You certainly score points though for weight-efficiency! :smile:

Everclear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everclear is a brand of pure grain alcohol, available in 190 proof (95%) and a less common 151 proof (75.5%) variant. It is produced by the David Sherman Corporation.

Because of its strength it is illegal in many US states, and probably not available outside USA (at least not the 190 proof variant). If Everclear is not sold where you live, plain vodka can be used instead (Everclear is basically a strong form of vodka).

Shots of Everclear can be done, although it is ill advised.

Warning: Can be lethal when substituted for water in Jello shooters.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

The nice thing about booze on a backpacking trip is that anything tastes good after a day of hiking!

There's no need to worry about bottles. You can transfer any liquor to a nalgene bottle.

The only weight consideration is alcohol content really. Higher proof is more efficient assuming alcohol is the goal (as opposed to flavor).

One easy thing is to go to a liquor store that has a good selection of "nip" bottles (aka miniatures, airplane bottles, 5cl/50ml bottles). You'd be surprised at some of the good stuff (single malts, decent cognac) that comes in this size and many of the bottles are plastic. They're great because they fit in the nooks and crannies of your pack (put in a sandwich-size ziploc just in case!) and you can have a different one every day.

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Bring some Cognac. You can sip it in front of the campfire, you wouldn't want more than just a bit so you don't have to bring along enough to have "pounding" volumes of it, it lasts a long time and is the perfectly sublime thing to be having after a day out enjoying the glories of God's Green Earth. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

good schnapps; especially if it's cool out.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I didn't know what "Everclear" was, so I searched on-line. Found this on Webtender.com.

You tryin' to kill me? :shock:

You certainly score points though for weight-efficiency! :smile:

Everclear

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everclear is a brand of pure grain alcohol, available in 190 proof (95%) and a less common 151 proof (75.5%) variant. It is produced by the David Sherman Corporation.

Because of its strength it is illegal in many US states, and probably not available outside USA (at least not the 190 proof variant). If Everclear is not sold where you live, plain vodka can be used instead (Everclear is basically a strong form of vodka).

Shots of Everclear can be done, although it is ill advised.

Warning: Can be lethal when substituted for water in Jello shooters.

Everclear is the equivalent of dehydrated booze..the backpacker's friend.

I like scotch, because I think it provides the best mellow buzz/clear morning head balance.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Bring Scotch. It can double as a water purifier, too, in a pinch. I think it's 1 part scotch to 4 parts water, or something like that.

Whups, my bad. I seem to remember this from my Navy days, but can't find any info on the web to collaborate. Could it be that once upon a time in Saudi Arabia, a hapless young division officer was purposely misled by his salty chief petty officer? :laugh:

Edited by Singapore (log)

Be polite with dragons, for thou art crunchy and goeth down well with ketchup....

Take what you like to sip. :cool:

My last camping trip into the wilds of Alaska I was in charge of the grub end of the deal. My cousin picked up the booze and the rest of the group all had other contributions for the whole adventure. We boated and hiked until we found an appealing campground and it wasn't until then I got a glimpse of the liquor of my cousin's choice -- Smirnoff Citrus Twist. :angry:

Even anchoring the bottle securely into a stream to chill it down a bit didn't help one iota.

For cold-weather backpacking, I suggest bringing no alcohol. Hypothermia is a real concern when one is a few days into the wilderness.

http://faculty.deanza.fhda.edu/donahuemary...Reader$209

Some people think that because alcohol makes you feel warm it would be a good idea in the outdoors in the cold. The reason drinking beer or other stronger alcohol makes you feel warm is that it dilates blood vessels next to your skin. It makes them bigger, so more blood moves next to your skin, and more warm blood means you feel warmer. BUT you are also losing crucial inner core body heat at an alarming rate. So you are actually getting colder even though you have the sensation of being warmer.

If you're throwing caution to the wind, I suggest a good scotch. Platypus makes lightweight containers, and their Little Nipper might suit your needs:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDis...gory_rn=5760749

Edited by josephreese (log)

Joseph

If you're backpacking in the cold, get you some Jagermeister. That's what it was designed for. If you're backpacking in a hot climate, just take more water. You can get faced when you return to civilization.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Jeffy -- Where and what climate will you be in? Is this something that others need to be considered? Something they will enjoy too?

[i'm taking a wild leap with the pacific northwest thing wherein I am quite familiar but a tad more north -- I'm a Sitka, AK girl].

Unless you are in artic conditions (and I hope you are not) I wouldn't take Jäger. That stuff is best when almost frozen thick.

Since you seem to enjoy vino, what about your fav red? I never looked so forward to opening a bottle of Ravenswood Zin so much after a damp, chilly and most likely rainforest downpour of a day in Sitka. :smile: (besides, it was *way* more cheaper in Sitka than in oHIo)

Cheers! :cool:

edit: "COIK" = Clear Only If Known grammatical fix :rolleyes:

Edited by beans (log)

18 year old Macallan -- in a flask.

for sure!!! or any single malt or a fine bourbon. I leave it in the bottle and pack carefully, on countless Boundry Waters hiking/canoe trips I've yet to have a broken bottle.

That first night when we hike in have a dinner of steak, then sit around and drink a single malt while watching the northern lights, just great.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Jeffy -- Where and what climate will you be in?  Is this something that others need to be considered?  Something they will enjoy too?

[i'm taking a wild leap with the pacific northwest thing wherein I am quite familiar but a tad more north -- I'm a Sitka, AK girl].

Unless you are in artic conditions (and I hope you are not) I wouldn't take Jäger.  That stuff is best when almost frozen thick.

Since you seem to enjoy vino, what about your fav red?  I never looked so forward to opening a bottle of Ravenswood Zin so much after a damp, chilly and most likely rainforest downpour of a day in Sitka.  :smile:  (besides, it was *way* more cheaper in Sitka than in oHIo)

Just to make this clear, this is all just a hypothetical backpacking trip. Over the years my travel style has also matured ("what kind of crappy hotel doesn't have bubblebath?!?"). I can guarantee if I do go backpacking again it would NOT be in arctic conditions. (I moved to Vancouver from back east to escape that shit!)

Two problems I see with wine: relatively low alcohol concentration, and rule #3 of backpacking - "ya pack out what ya pack in". Humping out an empty wine bottle would be a drag.

I think I'd lean toward scotch. And maybe some Grand Marnier to put on my instant oatmeal!

That first night when we hike in have a dinner of steak, then sit around and drink a single malt while watching the northern lights, just great.

Oh yeah! Nothing like the "first night steak". Ages and tenderizes a bit in your pack too!!

One trip I was on, one of the guys brought nothing but freeze dried food for the whole trip. I think I could have sold him my steak for 50 bucks.

Since you seem to enjoy vino, what about your fav red?  I never looked so forward to opening a bottle of Ravenswood Zin so much after a damp, chilly and most likely rainforest downpour of a day in Sitka.  :smile:  (besides, it was *way* more cheaper in Sitka than in oHIo)

Two problems I see with wine: relatively low alcohol concentration, and rule #3 of backpacking - "ya pack out what ya pack in". Humping out an empty wine bottle would be a drag.

Consider the upscale "bag in a box" wine. No glass at all, and the trash weighs nothing.