• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Asian-influenced Restaurant in Napa

Jaymes

I've been told that there is a new restaurant (spring of 2004) named "Budo" in Napa, with celebrity chefs coming from Scottsdale, Arizona.

Anyone heard of it? Or of the chefs?

"Budo" -- new restaurant in Napa

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Yet more fusion?

To quote Jason Sheehan, "Of course, if you're going to bastardize a cuisine, it's best to go someplace were no one knows the parents."

Yep. But apparently the fellow that's doing it is a fusion himself -- the product of a Japanese mother and American soldier. He's lived in Korea, the Philippines, US, etc., and it sounds like in this case, the cuisine is the natural outcome of his heritage.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 months later...

Anyone know how this place is coming along? Open yet? Any gossip? Advance publicity?

• 7 months later...

So, I understand Budo is open. Anyone tried it yet???

I'm going Christmas week with friends -- I'll report back, don't worry!

It has only been open for a few weeks and I've learned to wait until the bugs are out of the system before trying a place too early...

WARNING TO TILLE: Read this after you eat there.

I went two weeks ago with some friends. I think it's been open almost a month and a half. But first, you must understand, I am not the target audience for this restaurant.

As a positive, it has ZERO "wine country" charm. It is what it is and is uninfluenced by the town of Napa (where the opening of Applebees made front page news and the local Wal-Mart thrives) or even the Napa valley. It's a large room but all the tables are scrunched along the edges. It's very staid and quiet. 10 years ago it would have been considered modern and up to date.

I was there to have dinner with friends but this is an event place and conversation was constantly halted as the waiter explained the menu, the specials, the drinks, the food he was delivering and none of what he said stuck. Not only the specials, but every line of the menu had to be explained.

The food was nice but it's lots of small composed dishes on huge square plates. Enough with square plates. Enough with dinky portions. We never saw much "fusion" except there was lots of seafood so I guess that means it's Asian. We had lots of starters and salads but all I really remember was that I had an excellent quail dish.

I think a certain type of person would really enjoy this restaurant in another town- or better yet, city. It's in a weird part of Napa and as I returned from a trip to the gents, I looked longingly out at a taco truck parked on Soscol.

To sum it up, the food is very good, the atmosphere is a little precious and self-concious and the prices just short of insane. We all had a good time but agreed we didn't feel the need to some back any time soon.

There is oddly little buzz about this place and the night we went it was pretty dead.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

...and as I returned from a trip to the gents, I looked longingly out at a taco truck parked on Soscol.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I live about a mile away in downtown Napa. I have been to Budo twice and was very impressed both times with the service and quality of the food. My personal opinion is that the food quality rates in the top five in the Valley. I had been to the French Laundry two weeks prior to my first experience at Restaurant Budo and felt many of the dishes were Laundry caliber. Everyone on the staff seemed to be very friendly and informed. Attention to detail such as the flatware, stemware and linens were at the highest level and the atmosphere was more citylike than what is normally found in Napa. I don't think this is the type of place you go to weekly or monthly for that matter, but neither are restaurants like the French Laundry, La Tocque, Auberge, Domaine Chandon or Terra. It is very expensive and word of mouth has been that the food was excellent, but dinner was expensive. Folks, this isn't Bistro Jeanty, Mustards, Cindy's Backstreet, Wappo, Celadon, Angele or many of the areas other excellent restaurants that though not necessarily inexpensive are affordable to visit perhaps once or twice a month. I hope Budo will make the cut. I will continue to go for special occasions or when someone else is paying.

Marshal

• 7 months later...

Can any of you Napans update this?