• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictures from Pastry School

nightscotsman

Neil, how terrific! (Are you trying for a record -- how many cities can I live in within a year? :biggrin: )

Damn, you ruin us here for any other pastry or confectionary and then move on. When do you show up for work? I think you deserve a Heartland send-off.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

That's awesome, Neil!

I'm really, really happy for you.

Re: Hours: There is a certain solitude about 4 in the morning that can become addictive.

I haven't been doing it that much these days but I enjoyed it for a long time.

I hope you will too.

Best of luck to you, sir!

2317/5000

Gotta get used to the 4:00 am to noon working hours. :wink:

3-5 am

The magical morning hours

Congratulations

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Thanks everyone. :smile:

I'm scheduled to show up for orientation on March 15th, but I'd like to get there a few days earlier to get started looking for an apartment, buying a car, etc. So about two weeks to pack everything up again for shipping, get my kitty to the vet, and make travel arrangements.

I've love to see if we can arrange a Heartland get together one last time before I go (and before I pack my baking equipment). I know it's short notice, but if anyone has any ideas, please feel free to post over in the Heartland board.

And how about a Seattle eGullet group reunion in Vegas?

Six words: "Best Thai Restaurant in North America". :biggrin:

Re: Hours: There is a certain solitude about 4 in the morning that can become addictive.

are we talking about the same Las Vegas??? =]

well, you've got a point there...

But, 4 am is 4 am.

2317/5000

How wonderful Neil! I know we talked about this interview when I was in Chicago. You will be wonderful. And that is one of my favourite hotels in Vegas,so I'll be sure to let you know when we're coming to visit!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Best wishes in a new and hopefully exciting professional placement for you. My wife and I are going to be in Las Vegas the last week in April and we will have to eat at least one meal again at Bellagio (my fave in Vegas.) Again best wishes to a very talented artist.

colestove

Gotta get used to the 4:00 am to noon working hours. :wink:

D'oh! Those are the prime poker hours! :shock:

By the way, those pictures of your work are really amazing. Did they have any play in getting you an interview or did the school help you out with that?

I wish I could get down to Chicago before you leave. :sad:

By the way, those pictures of your work are really amazing. Did they have any play in getting you an interview or did the school help you out with that?

Jacquy Pfeiffer, one of my teachers at school, is a friend of Chef Maury at the Bellagio. In fact Jacquy coached Jean Phillipe's gold medal team at the last World Pastry Competition. So I believe a phone call was made. :wink:

But Chef Maury did look at my site and said my work looked very nice, which is a big compliment coming from a French chef. :cool:

I think just mentioning that I had graduated from the French Pastry School was enough to get me an interview, and it was a combination of the recommendation and the pictures on the web site that got me the job offer.

Neil,

Congrats on the job. Looks like we'll have to find a time to get to Vegas. We can meet you for lunch after you get off work, if we're up by then.... :wink:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Congradulations Nightscotsman! This is a great start for your career and a very wise choice!

I hope you'll still find time to visit here? I'll be really sad if you don't come back regularly and tell us how things are going and share all your new found knowledge.

How very exciting this is for you...........

So I just got the official job offer from the Bellagio today and I've decided to accept. Las Vegas here I come!  :cool: I'll be starting at the bottom as a pastry baker, but I'm very excited about getting started. Gotta get used to the 4:00 am to noon working hours. :wink:

Thanks again to everyone here for their help and encouragement!

A hearty Mazel Tov! from all of eGullet!

Don't forget those yummy (and sugar-free) lemon domes you made for our New Year's party. Those were some of the finest desserts I've had--sugar-free or otherwise.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Awesome job Neil, I'm so jealous...yeh I know I have my own place but I really passed up the chance to work for some one like Jean Phillip, Make the most of it and learn everything.

Buena Suerta mi compadre'

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Congrats! I'm very, very excited for you! The Bellagio...WOW! :wub:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Wow, Neil, I don't even know you and I'm thrilled at your success. The Bellagio! Bellisimo! wineglass.gif

Your work is gorgeous and inspiring, and I'm sending the link to all my foodie (non-eG) friends.

(What's the deal with Vashon Island? Is there a contingent here at eGullet? A friend of mine from long ago lives there....Roxy Hathaway. I think she works at a bakery because I've met people from Vashon who tell me everyone knows her.)

• 4 months later...

those pictures were enough to make me drool all over my keyboard... :raz:

congrats (belated) on the job in vegas!

btw... what happens to all those yummy desserts you make in pastry school? do they get sold? eaten by the students?