• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictures from Pastry School

nightscotsman

okay--no recipe....i get that.

would you maybe be able to share a couple "how to get them this gorgeous" macaron tips?

obsessively yours,

cherie

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Jason,

Along those lines I have thrown my hat into the competition arena. I dont expect to win but I hope to make a nice showing. I'm unfamiliar with many techniques but have enlisted the aide of one of my friends who has gotten a pretty good handle on chocolate showpiece work. The items we've done so far are pretty up to date and will look impressive when finished (not WPC caliber but still good in there own right.)

Neil-Awesome stuff!!!! Jaquey is a great teacher, I followed him around for years and took every class he gave, he humorously refred to me as his own private stalker...... I call on him time to time and he is always there when needed. His wife is also very helpful and a good pastry chef on her own....

One word of advice-Just keep it up and keep learning.

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Neil, you're the shit.

That's the first croquembouche I've ever seen that looked like something I'd actually want to eat, let alone look at.

Congratulations :biggrin:

Noise is music. All else is food.

Neil - you have the rare combination of facile fingers and a creative mind to drive it all. Thanks so much for a peek into your world. All the best to you and thanks for the occasional bit of your advice along the way.

OK, I have to brag just a little bit... they told me in private after graduation that I got the highest score. :cool:

Those of us who have been lucky enough to have eaten Neil's desserts are NOT surprised he kicked major ass in school.

And, we also know he's gonna kick ass in the real world!

Gorgeous stuff NSM, great site, best of luck wherever you end up, and we can NOT wait to have you back in the PNW :raz:

Born Free, Now Expensive

I take my toque off to you sir - beautiful blown sugar pieces - those would get you serious respect in the best houses in Paris.

Did you follow models for your work? Monkey see, monkey do? That Black Forest Cake rocked my world.

Are you going to the Bellagio central patisserie - or one of the restaurants?

Felicitations et bonne chance.

Neil, your work is really great. So nice to have a camera handy. Wish I had thought of that a few years back when I started! :cool: I love the fire and ice showpiece and the b & b dessert. Can you share how you got the funky clock to transfer onto the tuile? (or was that a chip, can't remember). I sure hope you find your nitch in this business as I can see you have the desire and drive to succeed :)

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

Neil,

Sorry to be so late in posting but it's never too late to tell someone that they've done fantastic work!!!

Your stuff looks incredible!

I don't know how much you knew going in but, JESUS!

Those guys at FPS sure do some good teaching!

I back up Loufoods statement. As someone who's spent a bit of time in France (non food related, but that didn't stop me from tasting and looking), your stuff holds up pretty damn well.

Job well done, and I wish you all the luck one can wish in you achieving whatever you set out to do.

STUNNING!

2317/5000

Hey Neil... This is SeawaDave.

What can I say? How about "Absolutely incredible" for starts? I'm really glad you took the time to take these pictures and now have them up on a site - they look stunning!

We all really appreciate how generous you are with your time, your knowledge, and your desserts.

Best of luck at the interview -- they will be very lucky to have you!

"If we don't find anything pleasant at least we shall find something new." Voltaire

okay--no recipe....i get that.

would you maybe be able to share a couple "how to get them this gorgeous" macaron tips?

obsessively yours,

cherie

Sorry I can't post the recipe, but I can tell you the secrets I learned:

- Use old egg whites. Leave egg whites in UNCOVERED container for about 24 hours at room temperature. Seriously. They will lose some moisture and make a more stable meringue. You can also add some powdered egg white for more stability

- The powdered sugar and almond flour must be dry, dry, dry. Try spreading it out on sheet pans and putting in a very low oven for a couple hours.

- Knowing how much to deflate the meringue when folding in the dry ingredients is crucial and hard to explain without seeing it in person. You want the mixture to be just fluid enough so the piped "kisses" flow and lose their points, but thick enough so they don't spread flat.

That said, try the recipe in Flo Braker's "Sweet Miniatures" for chocolate macarons. It's very easy to follow and gives very good results.

I take my toque off to you sir - beautiful blown sugar pieces - those would get you serious respect in the best houses in Paris.

Did you follow models for your work? Monkey see, monkey do? That Black Forest Cake rocked my world.

Are you going to the Bellagio central patisserie - or one of the restaurants?

Felicitations et bonne chance.

:blush::blush:

The instructors demoed everything before we made it in class, though for the showpiece and wedding cake work they demoed the basic components and we had some freedom to put together what we liked. All of the cakes were done following their recipes and construction diagrams, but we got a free hand with garnishing.

I just got back from Vegas last night! I had an interview with Jean Philippe Maury at the Bellagio pastry kitchen. He's an MOF who has been in the Pasry Art and Design top 10 list the past two years. They have 65 people working three shifts in the kitchen and produce everything in-house from scratch. They do all of the pastry (but not bread) for the hotel and most of the restaurants (except for Picasso and Le Cirque who have their own pastry chefs), and chef Maury is opening Jean Philippe Patisserie, a retail pastry shop, late this year.

Having spent the last four days wandering the Strip searching out all the pastry I could, I have to say the Bellagio is definitely the class act in Las Vegas. Easily some of the best pastry I've had anywhere. The style is mostly classic French, but lighter, less sweet with interesting flavors and textures. I was really amazed at the level of quality and consistency they are producing at such high volume.

So, am I moving to Vegas? Mmmmmmmaaaaaybeeee.... I have some hard thinking to do.

Edited by nightscotsman (log)

Neil, your work is really great. So nice to have a camera handy. Wish I had thought of that a few years back when I started! :cool: I love the fire and ice showpiece and the b & b dessert. Can you share how you got the funky clock to transfer onto the tuile? (or was that a chip, can't remember). I sure hope you find your nitch in this business as I can see you have the desire and drive to succeed :)

To get the clock face on the tuile we silkscreened the design in reverse onto silpats using melted unsweetened chocolate. After it set, we used a stencil to spread the tuile batter on top of the printed design and baked as usual. You just have to make sure you don't overbake the cookies and they stay nice and light so you can see the chocolate printing.

And I thought you were only famous for your cocktails! :wink: Those desserts are amazing. Now that I see what a pastry chef can do ( can they all turn out a portfolio like yours?) I can better understand the dissatisfaction so many of them have with their jobs. I know for sure I have been dessert deprived for most of my life! :shock: How about a law to require all restaurants to provide such wonderful desserts? Congratulations on your accomplishments and best of luck in your chosen profession. You're passion is showing. :smile:

KathyM

I just got back from Vegas last night! I had an interview with Jean Philippe Maury at the Bellagio pastry kitchen. He's an MOF who has been in the Pasry Art and Design top 10 list the past two years. They have 65 people working three shifts in the kitchen and produce everything in-house from scratch. They do all of the pastry (but not bread) for the hotel and most of the restaurants (except for Picasso and Le Cirque who have their own pastry chefs), and chef Maury is opening Jean Philippe Patisserie, a retail pastry shop, late this year.

Having spent the last four days wandering the Strip searching out all the pastry I could, I have to say the Bellagio is definitely the class act in Las Vegas. Easily some of the best pastry I've had anywhere. The style is mostly classic French, but lighter, less sweet with interesting flavors and textures. I was really amazed at the level of quality and consistency they are producing at such high volume.

So, am I moving to Vegas? Mmmmmmmaaaaaybeeee.... I have some hard thinking to do.

That's pretty amazing about the Bellagio's output, especially considering the scratch aspect of the preparations.

But I wouldn't really consider less from someone like Phillipe.

You've got some hard thinking to do there, Neil.

If you're into the production aspects of the field, can't think of much better place to do it.

Do they have great equipment?

I can't imagine them being shorted on anything with that kind of an operation.

All the best to you and best of luck, too!

2317/5000

Wow nightscotman, I think that would be an outstanding first pro. position. Even if you didn't like what you were doing (being low man on the totem pole)....just the chance to observe and learn there, would a great opportunity. Networking with the rest of his staff has ALOT of future potential also!

I'd bet that you've thought out what you ulimately want to do with your new career...does this fit into your path?

......I'm excited for you!

Well done, Neil!

I'm in the midst of my <sigh> four weeks in pastry lab, part of my final semester of Culinary Arts. In fact, right now I'm nursing a handful of pretty good blisters from a momentary lapse of caution while prepping for some pulled sugar.

We're required to do one centrepiece each of chocolate and sugar work (our choice; pulled/blown/gum paste/pastillage/marzipan/whatever). Although patisserie is a small part of our curriculum, we're fortunate in having a program head who wants us all to have a strong grasp of the basics. A lot of our graduates get employment at resort hotels in the nearby Rockies, and shortages of skilled hands are endemic, so the ability to jump in at the bakeshop and be productive immediately is a Very Good Thing.

Although all of your work was impressive, I particularly appreciated the plated desserts. So often, those are way, waaayyyy too fussy...garnished from here to hell, and showing an obvious determination to put every technique the chef knows onto each plate. Yours were visually appealing and not overdone, obviously the product of good training and an innately gifted eye.

Although I'm new here and a stranger to most of the community, I am impressed by your talent and will follow your career with interest.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

nightscotsman--

thank you for the tips. i will try them out--i appreciate the generosity of your tips, and also the pictoral sharing of your talents. good luck with your search for the perfect pastry position---obviously, your next employeer will be very lucky to have you.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

• 4 weeks later...

So I just got the official job offer from the Bellagio today and I've decided to accept. Las Vegas here I come! :cool: I'll be starting at the bottom as a pastry baker, but I'm very excited about getting started. Gotta get used to the 4:00 am to noon working hours. :wink:

Thanks again to everyone here for their help and encouragement!

So I just got the official job offer from the Bellagio today and I've decided to accept. Las Vegas here I come!  :cool: I'll be starting at the bottom as a pastry baker, but I'm very excited about getting started. Gotta get used to the 4:00 am to noon working hours. :wink:

Thanks again to everyone here for their help and encouragement!

:smile: Congrats Neil! :smile:

Most exciting news!

When do you start?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com