• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictures from Pastry School

nightscotsman

neil!  i have to agree wtih alanamoana.  my school was nothing like yours as well and i'm quite envious!  would you consider yourself a typical student (i.e., how did you compare wtih the rest of your class)?

very inspiring!  best of luck!    :biggrin:

There was a huge range of experience, age (from early 20s to late 60s) and seriousness from all of the students. Just like any other school, I guess. That said, I was one of three students out of 32 who graduated "with honors" - meaning our average score on all the tests was higher than 90%.

OK, I have to brag just a little bit... they told me in private after graduation that I got the highest score. :cool:

OK, I have to brag just a little bit... they told me in private after graduation that I got the highest score. :cool:

I don't think any of us are surprised. :smile:

Thanks for answering my questions. You're a good teacher, too.

Michael aka "Pan"

Congratulations and thank you for sharing. Your artistry and creativity blew me away. That show piece is just incredible. It should be in a gallery somewhere. I am sure that all of your fellow eGulleteers are as proud as I of your accomplishment. And we can't wait to hear more about your journey.

Top of the class? WOO HOO!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Congratulations, Neil! I don't often get hungry for dessert while I'm in the middle of eating my dessert, but the images alone made my bowl of ice cream utterly uninteresting to me.

Best of luck!

Ditto. I'm eating dessert right now, and after looking at your site, I'm hungry for something better. Gorgeous!

Great stuff Neil :biggrin:

Like many have said, I too am envious of what you were able to learn from your school, as when I went to culinary school ( in the early 90's ) we had exactly 3 days of sugar work, in which a day and a half was spent on casting sugar, the other half spent on pulled sugar, with 1 sugar station and 1 instructor trying to help 25 students as they tried not to burn the day lights out of their hands :shock:

I too wish you luck with your interview at the Bellagio. My wife and I went with a few friends to Vegas this past November and had the opportunity to eat at their buffet, which was well worth it. Being a pastry chef I was sure to try every dessert they had, and I got weird stares from my fellow diners as I took 3 trips to the dessert station, trying at least 1 of everything if not 2 of some things.

A question I have, which may or may not tie into other topics that are posted on this site, what type of establishment do you feel you would ultimately like to be in? From past posts, I know Wendy ( Sinclair ) likes country clubs, Bripastryguy is at home as an owner, and I feel I would be best at a small resort/hotel or independent restaurant, but you definitely have the hands-on skills for almost any type of place that you choose.

I say that this may tie into to past topics, because as I have read on this site, the role of a pastry chef in a country club or restaurant situation is very shaky, as many don't even employ PC's full-time, but there seems to be various opportunities in larger venues ( Bellagio for example ) and I was just wondering if that has an influence on where you see yourself in the future.

I personally have looked beyond the realization that maybe restaurants are not stable enough for me, and I have begun the process of introducing myself to more experienced projects, such as sugar and chocolate work, as I believe they are an important part in obtaining a higher position in a hotel/resort ( places that I feel there are more jobs for PC's )

I was just curious :smile:

Thank you and good luck,

Jason ( Mckayinutah )

the macarons, the macarons!!! might there be a recipe to share? (i am on the never-ending quest to make a great macaron at home.)

those photos took me right back to culinary school (tho', sadly, our baking program was lacking---never saw anything like your wonderful work!) ya done good!!!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

the macarons, the macarons!!! might there be a recipe to share? (i am on the never-ending quest to make a great macaron at home.)

those photos took me right back to culinary school (tho', sadly, our baking program was lacking---never saw anything like your wonderful work!) ya done good!!!

I was also struck by the macaroons, they look perfect. How'd you do that?

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Oh this revelation really shocks and amazes me! :biggrin: Your passion and perfectionism come as no surprise to us lucky enough to know you.

BTW, Neil's school has, without a doubt, the coolest chef's jackets I have ever seen.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh.

My.

God.

:blink:

Come on, tell us the truth: your name is really Andrew MacLauchlan  :wink:

Too bad about the ding on the top edge of the Cafe Caramelo Cake.  :wacko:

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Guess someone just couldn't keep his/her fingers out of it.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Neil:

Dude - 1356.gif

I am awed and completely starstuck. Thanks so much for sharing that with us! Your work is demanding and your level of expectation of yourself is evident in the perfection of each and every detail. Truly gorgeous work!

I'd have been a little concerned if you'd have been at the bottom of your class... :blink::laugh:

Best of luck with your interview at the Bellagio. Whomever winds up as your employer will be very fortunate indeed. As will their customers!

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Stars on candy are transfer sheets (think of silkscreen- but with food dyes). Congratulations on your acomplishment! You now need to go work in a busy quality place! Multi-tasking and a sense of urgency are learned on the job!

Having recently made pithivier at home, I am intensely jealous of yours.

I think four of mine could have fit inside yours. How did you get that rise???!!!

Good work all around, congratulations.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Congratulations on completing pastry school with such wonderful success. Your work is stunning. I wish there was someway I could reach into the computer screen and sample each creation.

Your new employer, whomever that might be, will be lucky to have you.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Too bad about the ding on the top edge of the Cafe Caramelo Cake.  :wacko:

The truth about that cake is it we kind of screwed it up - my partner forgot to add the gelatine to the coffee mousse, so it didn't hold up when it defrosted. That's why I didn't bother with glazing and garnishing, and also why that's the only one I got a shot of cut open. Since it wasn't going to survive the trip home, we just ate it in class. :raz:

Congratulations on your acomplishment! You now need to go work in a busy quality place! Multi-tasking and a sense of urgency are learned on the job!

That's exactly what I want to do next - even though we did a lot in school, I know there is huge amount I still have yet to learn. I am not a pastry chef yet by any means.

Great looking website, I showed people at work and they were asking is this a new patisserie? Although I don't know you, I wish you continued success wherever your endeavors take you. What a shame it is for Chicago to lose you. Have you tried the Ritz Carlton in Chicago? En Ming Hsu is extremely talented, as well and runs a great kitchen.

Best of luck in your search. :smile:

Patrick Sheerin

Just awesome Neil! :smile:

Thanks for sharing your pics--and your desserts--which I have been very fortunate to have tasted. I have no doubt that you will find yourself at the top of your professional before very long. And if not, based on your website, you've clearly got a future in graphic design :wink:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Congratulations on some very impressive work. It shows a level of dedication that is beyond what some students are willing to put into their craft.

Looking at your showpieces reminded me of a conversation with a food writer this week. He just did not get why we work so hard to create these beautiful pieces. For him, food was strictly about the eating. It is too bad he will never be a good food writer. Until he comprehends the entirety of culinary, he will never completely understand the food he is eating.

Good luck where ever you finally end up. They will be the lucky ones to have you on their team.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!