• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Love those Texas Gardens

lovebenton0

The tomatoes are finally starting to feel the heat, ripening quicker (read: smaller) but still bringing 'em in by the basket. Peppers of all varieties are still quite prolific except the hot bananas which are going through a lull right now while they make new blooms. Tabasco peppers are coming on really strong and I need to pick a few dozen of those today. The basils are slowing down. I snipped them way back and have three flats (one each for lemon, opal, and cinnamon -- which is the biggest producer) drying in the big, dark pantry. Eggplants are overwhelming us still. We love it that way. :wink::biggrin:

About time to start working the empty spots into a fall garden soon. This is our first year in this area (west of Austin) to attempt a fall garden, so any suggestions will be most welcome. :biggrin:

Any plans for your fall gardens this year?

Anyone have recommendations for small sugar pumpkins good for pie?

We are planning on broccoli and some winter squash varieties also, possibly brussel sprouts.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 2 weeks later...

We are planning on broccoli and some winter squash varieties also, possibly brussel sprouts.

Arright, so I overwatered the tomatoes and leggier herbs, said some heartfelt goodbyes, and then Wrenched them all out of the ground and tilled under the rest. Several hours later, I believe we have a fresh canvas for fall, including cukes, eggplant, pole beans and cauliflower. Think it's too late for okra and pumpkins?

I am so late to this, I was going to suggest that you look for the hormworms at night by flashlight, jess.

fifi, you can start a date stone if you put it on a shallow---saucer type with a lip--- plate , with a paper towel on it, then 5 or 6 date stones. Wet well, then be patient for about 3 months! Be sure to keep it moist, and when you see a small white dot directly on the median, axially to the grove, that's a root.

Arright, so I overwatered the tomatoes and leggier herbs, said some heartfelt goodbyes, and then Wrenched them all out of the ground and tilled under the rest. Several hours later, I believe we have a fresh canvas for fall, including cukes, eggplant, pole beans and cauliflower. Think it's too late for okra and pumpkins?

jess, we usually get eggplants from our summer growth through mid-Dec. Going by that I'm thinking that now is probably a good time for small pumpkins to be ready by Thanksgiving. Probably okra too -- which we just flat missed putting in this summer much to my disappointment. So we are going to try them, if that's any encouragement. :wink:

I haven't grown cauliflower -- but would love to. And I think beets and cabbage may do well also.

Tomatoes are starting to come to an end here although we'll still have another couple of dozen I think. Hopeful that the serranos are setting viable blooms again now -- rest of the peppers are still productive except the hot bananas. It may be time for hot b's to go to make room for something else in the small bed they are in. Maybe a few beets or cabbage would do well there.

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 3 weeks later...

I was wrong about the tomatoes -- we still had about 5 dozen. But now the plants are blooming but not holding the blooms and we're going to give them a chance through Labor day to see if anything looks like it's going to produce. So probably next week the tomato plants will be gone which will open up a big area for some fall garden experimentation. The eggplants and peppers will hang on much longer. Tabascoes are always prolific here and the pulp jars are growing. :biggrin:

Canteloupe has started new plants on its own and is trying to produce again. :blink:

I have several hundred wild persimmon -- TX cherries -- on two trees out in the yard I need to start picking. I found a recipe for wild persimmon fudge -- that sounds odd enough I may have to try it. This bounty would make a helluva lot of damn good and ugly jammy. May need to expand my persimmon use to new ideas. :laugh:

Judith Love

I have several hundred wild persimmon -- TX cherries -- on two trees out in the yard I need to start picking. I found a recipe for wild persimmon fudge -- that sounds odd enough I may have to try it. This bounty would make a helluva lot of damn good and ugly jammy. May need to expand my persimmon use to new ideas. :laugh:

We were at "It's a Jungle" off Kramer and Lamar, and they had strange pots of persimmon trees that were fruiting--the tags said they were easy to grow. Now, what do you think of plum trees in Texas?

• 4 weeks later...

I remember picking wild plums that grew in the creek bottom of the country place when I was a kid. My grandmother just made jam with them. I remember that they were mouth puckering tart but made pretty good jam. If the flavor were really remarkable, I think I would remember it. We just thought it was fun to use something that we "found".

And now a totally different question... Over in Cooking, the glasswort/samphire discussion produced this post. I had never thought of trying to grow the stuff. I am thinking of trying to start some on my little piece of bayfront. I will probably have to import some beach sand and water with salt water from time to time. We get some salt spray on the bay but not like on the beach. I have found some information on the plant itself here and propogation information for California here. Does anyone here know anything about this? If not, I will persevere and go on the hunt for seed producing plants and see how it goes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

We were at "It's a Jungle" off Kramer and Lamar, and they had strange pots of persimmon trees that were fruiting--the tags said they were easy to grow.  Now, what do you think of plum trees in Texas?

Did they look anything like this, jess?

gallery_12550_103_1096583169.jpg

One of the wild persimmon trees from my yard, popping with fruit. :cool:

Judith Love

As everything in my garden starts to show the signs of the First Hard Frost, I am comforted by the fact that soon, I will have brussels sprous, which have not only been touched by frost, but will need to be rescued from the garden (on an as need basis) that have been touched by snow. Grandma Welsch always said they were best when they had been dusted with the "white stuff" and me does think she was referring to that snow that flies when the skies get cold and dark.

So, there.

But, this thread keeps me going during those days when I'm not sure that anything will ever thaw here. Post lots during that December to February time-period, please.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Unless the odd (though oh so pleasant!) cooler weather cycle we are on continues to deepen into an early freeze, I'll still have some goodies coming out of gardens through December. Then shortly after that it will be time to start anew. So keep checkin' in with us, snowangel. We'll keep you fortified during the long drear. :cool:

Judith Love

• 2 weeks later...
we had the tiniest pot of Mebane Patch blackeyes this evening, which was fortunate, since only the baby and I are blackeye pea fans.  I have an eggplant doing its thing....how do I know when it's time to harvest it?  I think it's Ichiban.

Jess, the Ichiban can be picked at baby size (about 3-4 inches long), or on up to several inches long for full maturity. You want to pick them while they are still glossy. But don't despair if you catch them just as they are losing their gloss; still very good, you just do not want want them to go dull, as they pith out. If the weather holds you too should have Ichis through mid-December. :biggrin:

Judith Love

So what's the difference between "wild plums" and domesticated plums? I purchased some Wild Plum wine in Arkansas. It's great stuff kind of taste close to Japanese plum wine. I am going to take a bottle with me later this week to a BYOB Sushi bar here in town.

I am thinking of planting some fruit trees this spring. Is there a tree specifically called a "wild plum"?

Never trust a skinny chef

So what's the difference between "wild plums" and domesticated plums?  I purchased some Wild Plum wine in Arkansas.  It's great stuff kind of taste close to Japanese plum wine.   I am going to take a bottle with me later this week to a BYOB Sushi bar here in town.

I am thinking of planting some fruit trees this spring.   Is there a tree specifically called a "wild plum"?

Check out this link for some good info and pics of the wild plum. I'm thinking that it would be a great pairing with my wild persimmons. :biggrin: This info is from Iowa particularly, but the wild plum appears to grow nearly all over the US, Canada, and much of Europe. Texas has a good range of the local variety, Prunus texana.

This wild plum winemaking site has more cool info and interesting recipes. :cool:

edited to correct a mistake: no pics on winemaking site, I meant recipes. :blink:

This post tooth extraction pain is affecting my brain.

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

I am thinking of planting some fruit trees this spring.  Is there a tree specifically called a "wild plum"?

Oooo... That is a good question. We used to have wild plums down in the "creek bottom" at the old country place. My sister and I have been wondering about how to get our hands on some of that. When our dad was in his wine making phase a bunch of years ago, he made some of that plum wine. Years later, at a Chinese restaurant in California, I had the plum wine after dinner. It really tasted like dad's wine, sweet and with a rich plum flavor. We would like to duplicate that. I am thinking that a call to your county extension agent may be in order.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Check out this link for some good info and pics of the wild plum. I'm thinking that it would be a great pairing with my wild persimmons.  :biggrin: This info is from Iowa particularly, but the wild plum appears to grow nearly all over the US, Canada, and much of Europe. Texas has a good range of the local variety, Prunus texana.

This wild plum winemaking site has more cool info and interesting recipes.  :cool:

edited to correct a mistake: no pics on winemaking site, I meant recipes.  :blink:

This post tooth extraction pain is affecting my brain.

Fifi, we must have been posting at the same time. :biggrin:

Judith Love

Heh... Judith, all great minds...

Now my next question... I am wanting to start some herb pots. I am thinking of getting some rather large "polyurethane" pots, those that look like terra cotta or off white clay pots but are actually the foam stuff. My thought is that they will offer some insulation to the swings of temperature that we are subject to. If I also use some of the newer "moisture balancing" planting mix, I may have a chance of growing a variety of herbs on my balconey. If we have a freeze coming, I can protect them or bring them in.

My question is, what can I successfully put together in a pot? Obviously, the basils are more delicate, the rosemary is more forgiving, etc. Do any of you have any experience in doing this? What mixtures have worked well for you.

As an aside, this kind of information will be helpful when I actually get back to a real herb garden.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

All right, Linda! Populate the balcony.

For some basics -- basil (one plant per gallon pot) can be fairly easily maintained. I often pot one specialty basil -- like Genovese -- that I keep on the back deck as opposed to putting it in with the other basil varieties. Have had good success with that. And yes, the rosemary will be forgiving. If you're careful not to over-water them both oregano and thyme will do well potted. Cilantro is a candidate too. Haven't been personally lucky with potted tarragon -- does better in the earth.

I mix a rich potting soil -- or compost, potting soil and sandy loam 1:3:1 with a good handful of perlite for my herbs. I also wet-mulch the soil in pots after plants have had a day or two to settle in.

Chives are also good in pots -- no problem there as they will grow for years, and you can split and transplant them later into other pots -- and into beds when you're dream garden materializes.

Judith Love

What a surprise! The mr had not pulled all the tomato plants yet after all. When I clambered up to the veg plot today (past the wildly blooming peach tree -- that's another post!) the few remaining tomato plants were sparsely covered with several dozen baby green tomatoes. And they're so cute. Little sunny faces poking out into the bright day. I thought for sure that the last few were sitting in my kitchen window basket.

Picked several baby eggplants for Thai tomorrow night, and still must go back to pluck all the big ripe Anas off the bushes, along with quite a few jalapenos. The Tabasco peppers are still pumping out more, and the canteloupe is taking this long hot-and-not season seriously. Four baby melons and many more blooms -- see how they do. It's probably going to jump back into summer now until the end of the month. What a weird season weather-wise. We hardly ever have tomatoes in October. :biggrin:

And, yes, Linda, do think of pepper plants too for your bacony. :wink:

Judith Love

Oooo... I am definitely thinking of a pepper plant for the balconey. My mother, some years ago, kept a Tabasco pepper plant going. It was a positive "tree". The reason she kept it in a big pot that moved into the porch was for the birds. She had a "pet" mockingbird that would hit the pepper plant for treats. One of my last good memories of her is of her sitting in her chair on the porch, talking with the mockingbird while it robbed the pepper plant of its fruit. While I didn't understand the conversation, she sure seemed to.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Oooo... I am definitely thinking of a pepper plant for the balconey. My mother, some years ago, kept a Tabasco pepper plant going. It was a positive "tree". The reason she kept it in a big pot that moved into the porch was for the birds. She had a "pet" mockingbird that would hit the pepper plant for treats. One of my last good memories of her is of her sitting in her chair on the porch, talking with the mockingbird while it robbed the pepper plant of its fruit. While I didn't understand the conversation, she sure seemed to.

I'd give a definite yes vote for the Tabasco plant! They are perrenial if kept from freezing. I even had three return from last year after our little Austin snow event. :biggrin:

I grow several every year and if you get into it you too can have these as your reward. :shock::biggrin:

gallery_12550_103_1098898049.jpg

The vinegar sprinkle is from some of this year's peppers. I add a couple garlic cloves and salt to vinegar. When the vinegar is sprinkled out you can add more vinegar -- it'll even get hotter for a while. I've refreshed sprinkle bottles as many as five times before it just wasn't the same. But then they're still hot enough to throw in a jar with some garden goodies for hot pickle. :cool:

The red hot sauce is from pulp that I've been aging now for three years. It does increase in intensity! But it's still good and hot the first year. I age the ground pulp (dry peppers first) in vinegar to cover, keep it in quart jars in the fridge. Let the pulp drain leisurely into a bowl through a strainer or cheese cloth ball for about an hour. You can then squeeze the rest of the liquid through. I add more vinegar -- you just have to judge this based on the ergs of your pulp and your own taste -- some salt, a tid of sugar and another tid of powder blend garlic to the liquid fire when I heat it to make the sauce so I know the extras are dissolved.

Wham! Hot sauce! Bottle up and keep as long as it lasts around the house. I always give this stuff around the holidays -- makes such a nice red gift. (OMG was that a MS moment?!!! :laugh: )

Don't throw that pulp away! Return to a container with vinegar to cover and keep aging -- I always have separate jars for the continuing aging process, this year's fresh pulp, and the ongoing oldest. The stuff just gets better with time like a fine wine. :laugh:

Judith Love

dang and those are mighty spiffy labels, too!

Thanks, jess. I love this place! Multitude of basic designs/color combo options/text options. No minimum required for an order. Design your own at myownlabels.com -- so easy. Lots of stuff there for foodies like us, beyond the variety of labels. :cool:

I did labels for my Back Fence Grape Jelly there too -- triple batch bumper crop last summer so I still have some left. Salsa labels too -- which is regrettably almost gone. My chips and 'tillas are grieving. :sad:

gallery_12550_164_1098953776.jpg

Judith Love