• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Love those Texas Gardens

lovebenton0

At this time I know I'll be putting substantial corn in. I feel a primal need to stand out in the corn and hear the squeaks and slithers while it grows! How I have missed dirty fingernails!!

Please tell me that you will include some good "dent corn" that tastes so good on the cob. I am one of those strange folk that thinks sweet corn is insipid. Perhaps I can experience it vicariously. :biggrin:

BTW . . . The ranch guy where the purple prickley pear comes from says it blooms yellow. We shall see . . . we shall see. My sister says this guy doesn't know a pear from a pecari.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Not a sweet corn among them. I'm going to get some good dent, and isolated Native varieties. I am wanting the green Oaxacan dent for one.

"Doesn't know pears from pecaries"!!!! That's too good! Believe me when I say I'd much prefer to piss off a pear! But maybe he saw it blooming? In any event, I am GREEN over your present! Way to go.

Edit to add: Judith, I put down their website, but I am not capable of making a clickety thing, so it's www.willhiteseed.com. But wait till you get their catalogue.

If you get a map and look for Weatherford, there's a highway cutting west out of town that's locally known as Zion Hill Road, which cuts WNW and goes through Peaster and Poolville. Poolville's sort of funny. The whole 'town square' is basically Willhite seed buildings! There's still a stone horse trough in the middle of the deal.

Beautiful place, even if it's high prairie in nature, and uncommon hot in the summer.

Edited by Mabelline (log)

At this time I know I'll be putting substantial corn in. I feel a primal need to stand out in the corn and hear the squeaks and slithers while it grows! How I have missed dirty fingernails!!

Now Mabelline, make sure you plant enough rows to accommodate the pilfering teenagers! :wink:

And thank you again for the wilhite folks--Sometimes a well-worn Burpee catalog won't get you past February, 'know?

Ah, yes...stalled cars beside corn and melons being a family heirloom practice, I'll surely plant enough for a share. Course now, you can always edge the outsides by something stickery--any good sources for cardoons? I can't do the nettles or thistles up here, because of the Montana noxious weed laws. :rolleyes: But I'll share, for sure.

Not a sweet corn among them. I'm going to get some good dent, and isolated Native varieties. I am wanting the green Oaxacan dent for one.

"Doesn't know pears from pecaries"!!!! That's too good! Believe me when I say I'd much prefer to piss off a pear! But maybe he saw it blooming? In any event, I am GREEN over your present! Way to go.

Edit to add: Judith, I put down their website, but I am not capable of making a clickety thing, so it's www.willhiteseed.com. But wait till you get their catalogue.

If you get a map and look for Weatherford, there's a highway cutting west out of town that's locally known as Zion Hill Road, which cuts WNW and goes through Peaster and Poolville. Poolville's sort of funny. The whole 'town square' is basically Willhite seed buildings! There's still a stone horse trough in the middle of the deal.

Beautiful place, even if it's high prairie in nature, and uncommon hot in the summer.

Thanks, Mabelline, I just saw your edit with the web site. I know Weatherford, I must not have been out beyond that way to Poolville though. Would love to see that town square. :laugh:

Ah, yes, corn poachers! Melon rustlers! Gotta watch out out for those guys. Our worst culprits were the coyotes one drought year. They smashed my melons to get at the liquid inside, and ate my tomatoes too. :angry: Tough cusses them coyotes! But my big Lab ran out to the pack one moonlit night and barked in the ear of the scrawny leader as they were headed streaking through the night to my garden! They all tumbled over themselves and we got the rest of the tomatoes for ourselves that summer. :laugh:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

• 2 weeks later...

I was just putting away some things and realized that I have been remiss in reporting on a treasured Christmas gift from my sister. During my mother's life, there were often multiple copies of books and sometimes kitchen utensils purchased for all three of "Daddy's girls." My sister had found a copy of How to Have a Green Thumb Without an Aching Back in mother's book collection and wrapped it for me. It is one of the seminal books on mulch gardening first published in 1955. Amazingly enough, it was written by Ruth Stout, sister to Rex Stout of Nero Wolf fame. What a hoot of a book. I am going to reread it and see if I can get any more wisdom about mulch that I may have forgotten. If you ever see a copy of this, get it. Ruth Stout is as talented a writer as her more celebrated brother. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 3 weeks later...

Ordering seeds yet anyone? We're planning to do the garden from seed this year. Planning to anyway! :raz::blink: I'm lookig at new Asian varieties of squash and eggplant, thinking about tomatoes and peppers, okra, greens, and maybe even some beans and peas this year -- neither of which I've had much luck with here.

Sleeping with your catalogs? Dreaming of dirt under your nails and a plant in hand?

What are your veg garden plans? Herbs? Always lots of herbs for me. :biggrin:

How soon do you get seeds started for your area?

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I am not going to be playing with seeds but that is really a lot of fun, almost magical actually, and gives you a lot of control over the varieties that you plant. My sister and I used to do that a lot. But, my mother was the real seed fiend. That got started back in the late 50s and early 60s when she and our neighbor got into herbs. Back then, anything more than parsely was considered exotic. She used a grow light set up that my dad made for her. Do any of you remember those really cheap plastic shelving units that snapped together? You used to see them in the discount stores and even the big drug stores. (I still have some somewhere.) Well, if you turned them upside down, the shelves formed a tray. Then dad hung gro-lights over each shelf on adjustable chains attached to the shelf above. Since she had to keep this in a corner of the wash room, she mounted a couple of circulating fans to keep the air moving. Stagnant air encourages damp off. I couldn't find a picture of those shelves but it occurs to me that some of the wire shelving units could work very well.

I also remember that she used to finagle some styrofoam meat trays from the butcher to act as starting containers for some seeds. For larger seeds like tomatoes and squash, a toilet paper inner roll cut in half, packed with starting medium and set in the trays, provided a home from the growing shelf to the garden. She also swore by sifting spaghnum moss over the surface of the starting medium having read some where that it helps to equalize moisture and retard fungi.

Any of you playing with seed, please take pictures so I can enjoy the fun vicariously. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I just ordered a load of seed! Far more than we need for this year of course, but I wanted the varieties so I just hit that checkout button and let the fun begin! :raz: Burpee has a little goodie that's like a mini greenhouse just for your seedlings. This will will be a life-saver (a plant life-saver! :laugh: ) for me! As my Kats love all green things inside the house and just know I must have put them there for Kat toys (read: destruction! :raz: ). It's set up with 72 seed pots and starter thingies (like peat, but better they say) with a watering mat underneath and the all important LID to keep the Kats away!

Looking forward to seed fun to begin next week. And, yes, fifi, my dear, there will be be baby pics coming. :wink:

Judith Love

Well, a friend of mine kept rye grass and catnip sprouting in heavy pots to lure her cats away from her stuff. Occasionally it even worked. :biggrin:

One year I had a lovely line of pots on my balconey with miniature rose bushes. Madame Sophie the basset had access to the balconey during the day. I kept wondering why they weren't blooming. Then I started looking and thought I had some kind of bud drop disease. Then one Saturday morning I happened to look out and catch her deftly nipping off buds and munching away. The look on her face was priceless. "uh oh . . . busted again":laugh::laugh::laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Well, a friend of mine kept rye grass and catnip sprouting in heavy pots to lure her cats away from her stuff. Occasionally it even worked. :biggrin:

Yeah, it only works occasionally! Something in a cat's brain clicks off after about 25 or 30 minutes exposed to catnip -- survival factor? Think how dangerous it would have been for wild cats to be stoned all the time! :raz::laugh:

One year I had a lovely line of pots on my balconey with miniature rose bushes. Madame Sophie the basset had access to the balconey during the day. I kept wondering why they weren't blooming. Then I started looking and thought I had some kind of bud drop disease. Then one Saturday morning I happened to look out and catch her deftly nipping off buds and munching away. The look on her face was priceless. "uh oh . . . busted again":laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Judith Love

• 4 weeks later...

Since the weather seems to continue to be perverse, I thought I would bump this up and see what folks are up to so I can continue my vicarious gardening. I am planning my herb pots for the balconey. Here is what I am going to do . . . I am going to get some big pots made of that urethane foam that looks like pottery. I figure that they will provide some insulation for the roots. Now I am thinking that I will need to consider individual needs of the plants when grouping them together. I am thinking that basil would be happy with sage and . . . what? I may get a little bay to put in with the rosemary. Thyme and parsely? Oh . . . I don't know. Do any of you have suggestions on what will absolutely NOT work well in the same pot?

Also, I found this post by winesonoma interesting. I got a truckload of mushroom compost one year at the house. It was enough to spread about two inches thick on my beds. It was like steroids for plants! I had the most gorgeous red and white chard that year. I also saw some interesting mushrooms. That was curious because I am pretty sure that the compost came from the farms up around Madisonville and I think they only grow the common button mushrooms. Maybe it just provided an optimum growing spot for all sorts of drifting spores. But . . . morels? Sheesh.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Since the weather seems to continue to be perverse, I thought I would bump this up and see what folks are up to so I can continue my vicarious gardening. I am planning my herb pots for the balconey.  Do any of you have suggestions on what will absolutely NOT work well in the same pot?

All herbs are compatible; there are only a few garden heavyweights that can't play nicely together, like corn and tomatoes.

Did anyone else rush right out into the much-needed sunshine to buy up peppers and tomatoes? I've been on a hunt for Early Girl, and finally ran her to ground at Red Barn, if anyone else in Austin is lacking............

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to hear a little more advice on herb container gardening in Texas. Are there some herbs that can't take the heat?

The herb guru at my local Whole Foods did confirm what someone else told me --- that you can't put Rosemary and Clinatro in the same pot, because they will effect each other in such a way that their flavors will mix, with one tasting like the other. Has anyone experienced this? Any other quirky combinations? Or ones that really work well together?

Any specific recommendations for potting soils? Commercial or mix-your-own?

I would like to hear a little more advice on herb container gardening in Texas. Are there some herbs that can't take the heat?

The herb guru at my local Whole Foods did confirm what someone else told me --- that you can't put Rosemary and Clinatro in the same pot, because they will effect each other in such a way that their flavors will mix, with one tasting like the other. Has anyone experienced this? Any other quirky combinations? Or ones that really work well together?

Any specific recommendations for potting soils? Commercial or mix-your-own?

I have not heard of the rosemary and cilantro thing, but I do watch with fascination to see which neighbors in the garden seem to cross pollinate and take on some of the other's characteristics; for example, I had basil and habanero rubbing shoulders all summer last year, and the basil began growing larger, flatter leaves.

For your purposes, I think you should pick your favorites and go with it. Go Simon and Garfunkel with it. Martha Stewart had a show years ago where she used a strawberry pot to plant a kitchen herb selection, and I've always wanted to try that. Save yourself some time and effort and go with commercial potting mix, because most herbs are not picky, essentially being weeds with good intentions.

Hey, and if you get them in the ground/pot tomorrow, it's a full moon--supposed to be good luck for the whole growing season!

Oooo . . . I forgot about the full moon. Perhaps that will get me up off of it to get this done. Besides, if the weather got any better, I would have to bite myself. Time to get the balconey cleaned off and ready to receive some herb pots.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

• 1 month later...
Oooo . . . I forgot about the full moon. Perhaps that will get me up off of it to get this done. Besides, if the weather got any better, I would have to bite myself. Time to get the balconey cleaned off and ready to receive some herb pots.

and did you, fifi? :wink:

i got some my herbs into the ground this full moon after hardening them up from the greenhouse for a couple of weeks while they bulked up a bit in the pots. have some more seedlings of herbs and veg to plunk into the gardens soon too to join the plants we put in a couple of weeks ago.

new herbs: cinnamon, lemon, sweet and Thai basils, a new greek oregano to go along with my established MX and Italian oreganos, and sage.

promise some pics sooon. the earlier tomato and pepper plants are already blooming, hot bananas are an inch long and growing fast. i decided to go with a mixed bag of hot pepper seeds this year so it will be interesting to watch those develop... and tomatillos, a yellow cherry tomato, all the basils, and eggplant , greens from seeds.

Judith Love

and did you, fifi? :wink:

new herbs: cinnamon, lemon, sweet and Thai basils, a new greek oregano to go along with my established MX and Italian oreganos, and sage.

promise some pics sooon.

Yes, dear Fifi, was it the full worm or full pink moon that called you to plant? :wink:

And lovebenton, I have to see pix of the cinnamon plant!

I have a confession. I have gotten the pots and the potting soil. I haven't gone any further.

Hey . . . I just retired. I don't have time for no freakin' plants! :laugh:

However, I just did a Braising with Molly recipe that called for fresh sage. I refused to go out and buy one of those little packets so I subbed the dried. I then tripped over (literally) the pots sitting in the corner of the dining area. I think that was a sign from on high . . . GET THEE OFF THY BUTT AND PLANT SOMETHING, WOMAN. Yes, boss.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

This year I did pretty good about getting my existing herb beds cleaned up and replanted, and I also managed to get a jalapeno plant in a pot before the full moon. I kept stalling on my tomato plant, however. Just put it in a pot last weekend. But what I'm really looking forward to this year is the surprise guest....one of my neighbors' wild mustang grapevines has made it's way to my yard! There are already a ton of smallish green grapes.

So, what to do with the grapes? My grandmother makes a green grape pie out of them, and my other grandmaw makes wine. What other uses are there? And if anyone has a green grape pie recipe, please send along. Granny's were never great. :wink: (sorry Granny).

Now, if I can just keep my other neighbor from spraying poison on the vines this year. She swears they are poison ivy or poison oak, and I keep trying to explain that those plants don't grow grapes. :wacko:

Edited by nacho (log)

I can't say that I have ever had green grape pie. I am having a hard time imagining what that would taste like. (Why am I imagining a pie with real pucker power? :laugh: )

All I remember ever doing with the grapes was jam and then dad made some pretty good wine when he went through his wine making binge.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

This year I did pretty good about getting my existing herb beds cleaned up and replanted, and I also managed to get a jalapeno plant in a pot before the full moon.  I kept stalling on my tomato plant, however.  Just put it in a pot last weekend.  But what I'm really looking forward to this year is the surprise guest....one of my neighbors' wild mustang grapevines has made it's way to my yard!  There are already a ton of smallish green grapes.

So, what to do with the grapes?  My grandmother makes a green grape pie out of them, and my other grandmaw makes wine.  What other uses are there?  And if anyone has a green grape pie recipe, please send along.  Granny's were never great.  :wink:  (sorry Granny).

Now, if I can just keep my other neighbor from spraying poison on the vines this year.  She swears they are poison ivy or poison oak, and I keep trying to explain that those plants don't grow grapes.  :wacko:

the grapes won't be ripe until a lovely deep shade of red... and they aren't really sweet on their own at that point either. i can't imagine the tartness of a green grape pie made from unripened mustang grapes. :blink::raz:

however, they do make a helluva good jam or jelly. jelly is really easy since you can let the process remove the seeds for you. not at all like the concord grape you get at the store... but a lovely wine red color and more delicate flavor. i make it from our grapes every year. :wub:

poison the grapes!!! :shock: offer to give your neighbor a jar or two of jelly or jam, see if you can't bribe her that way. :wink:

meanwhile, it's gonna be a month before the grapes ripen for us, and most everything is still just green babies. but the wild spring onions which i encourge to grow in the front garden beds (more horticulture than agriculture :wink: ), are lovely and delicious right now.

gallery_12550_164_103715.jpg

and the fennel is fantastic. just starting to put out blooms, but the stalk and leaves are wonderfully aromatic and tasty. leaves are quite good as a topper for salads, including a potato salad which surprised me, but i had to try it as i had a lovely frond in hand at the time. :biggrin:

gallery_12550_164_50143.jpg

And lovebenton, I have to see pix of the cinnamon plant!

pics forthcoming on the cinnamon basil, jess... it's still too small to really see the difference in color... the stalks, stems and the blooms turn purple as it grows. the aroma is addictive to me and the plant itself is beautiful :wub:

warm and earthy, if you haven't tried this basil variety i would heartily recommend it! incredibly good stuffed into the crevices of a leg o' lamb, along with garlic. one of my fav ways to use this basil. also excellent freshly chiffonade on salads with beef and orange, or with leaves garnishing an Indian curry dish.

Judith Love

pics forthcoming on the cinnamon basil, jess... it's still too small to really see the difference in color... the stalks, stems and the blooms turn purple as it grows. the aroma is addictive to me and the plant itself is beautiful :wub:

warm and earthy, if you haven't tried this basil variety i would heartily recommend it! incredibly good stuffed into the crevices of a leg o' lamb, along with garlic. one of my fav ways to use this basil. also excellent freshly chiffonade on salads with beef and orange, or with leaves garnishing an Indian curry dish.

How dumb I am is that I actually thought you were growing a cinnamon plant, not a basil varietal. Thorough perusal is my downfall; coupled with faulty math skills and viola! Three kids in four years (sigh).

How dumb I am is that I actually thought you were growing a cinnamon plant, not a basil varietal. Thorough perusal is my downfall; coupled with faulty math skills and viola! Three kids in four years (sigh).

jess, my dear, just wishful thinking on your part... :wink: i should have been clearer. i too wish i were growing cinnamon! :laugh:

Judith Love

the grapes won't be ripe until a lovely deep shade of red... and they aren't really sweet on their own at that point either. i can't imagine the tartness of a green grape pie made from unripened mustang grapes.  :blink:  :raz:

It's definitely a sweet-and-sour effect. :wub:

My mom told me yesterday about this article in her local paper. I've never heard of a green grape cobbler!! But the green grape pies are really popular in the Victoria area. I'm heading down there this weekend for Mother's day, to pick some dewberries, and so she can show me what size to pick the grapes. Unfortunately, I may be too late if they've already started to develop seeds. :unsure: