• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Love those Texas Gardens

lovebenton0

Oh geez, if you ever grow carrots (probably a little too late this spring), I really recommend the variety "Mokum". I got some from www.superseeds.com, but there's a bunch of places that sell it.

Just had some and it was so sweet and brittle it was delicious. The tops were kind of thin so I was surprised there were carrots under there. I ate some in the garden and gave one to my friend. I don't normally like carrots that much, just grow them for my mom.

They look different too, darker than usual and somewhat translucent. All my other carrots were just as carroty (yech) as usual. I grew some yellow carrots this year, and didn't particularly like them, but maybe it's the variety.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Today I planted a couple of basil plants that I had divided from a large multi-stemmed plant from Central Mkt - no Thai basil in the ground yet - Howard's doesn't have it, and I wasn't into taking the time for a special trip to the Natural Gardener or Barton Springs. Also put in lavender for the first time - Goodwin Creek variety - with a one-inch layer of pea gravel beneath the transplant for drainage.

Now I'm pondering whether to get a big pot for the Meyer lemon I picked up, after urging from Jaymes, or find a protected sunny spot in the landscape for it, as Larry Butler from East Austin's Boggy Creek Farms recommends. His and Carol Anne's are said to be blooming profusely right now with that gorgeous scent and they didn't freeze during last winter's two nights of 19 degree temps.

The Italian parsley overwintered so well, that I need to crop it and make the first tabouli of the the year, before the caterpillars arrive.

Today I planted a couple of basil plants that I had divided from a large multi-stemmed plant from Central Mkt - no Thai basil in the ground yet - Howard's doesn't have it, and I wasn't into taking the time for a special trip to the Natural Gardener or Barton Springs. Also put in lavender for the first time - Goodwin Creek variety - with a one-inch layer of pea gravel beneath the transplant for drainage.

Now I'm pondering whether to get a big pot for the Meyer lemon I picked up, after urging from Jaymes, or find a protected sunny spot in the landscape for it, as Larry Butler from East Austin's Boggy Creek Farms recommends. His and Carol Anne's are said to be blooming profusely right now with that gorgeous scent and they didn't freeze during last winter's two nights of 19 degree temps.

The Italian parsley overwintered so well, that I need to crop it and make the first tabouli of the the year, before the caterpillars arrive.

I have a Meyer lemon (blooming now) - and it's in the ground. No problem the last few winters - they were mild. What's your worst case scenario during the winter? And do you really feel like bringing a huge pot inside when you're facing that worst case scenario? Depending on where you live - I'd be inclined to put it in the ground.

By the way - still no flowers on the peas. I am ready to pull them out and plant summer annuals. Robyn

I've been thinking more and more about hauling the Meyer in as it gets bigger and I get older and stiffer - what is the size I'm looking at on this - pot-bound and ground-sunk? Here in Austin we might have a mild winter that sees nary a day below 25 and then we might have one of those pipe-busters - I remember a cold week a few years ago when it was in the single digits for quite a long time. Very much the anomaly, tho. If it doesn't get too tall, I can always rig a wood frame covered with plastic with a trouble-light inside.

I'm with you on the Meyer Lemon memesuze. I just can't see myself hauling a big pot. The house will be on a peninsula in Galveston Bay so I get a little more of a chance. I have decided that I will put the Meyer Lemon, the calamondin and the Keffir Lime in a grouping so that I can cover them in one swell foop if I have to. I also might entertain keeping them pruned to a manageable size should I ever need to do that.

I guess you can keep them pruned and still have them make fruit. I will have to look into that.

The current burning question of the day is where my sister will plant the moon vine and morning glories so that they are more visible from the porch than they were last year. She also has to get her buns in gear and get the Four O'Clocks started. I found some white ones. they will be lovely at night. I can't wait to have those again. I haven't smelled those since I was a kid.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I got some lavendar seeds from WildSeeds. No variety named on the pack, just lavendar. But, I have a question, or two. On the packet it suggests planting in the fall, but do I need to wait until then or can I put the seeds in now while we are still mild here around Austin? First time for lavendar for me. Will they do well in my westward facing front yard? I was thinking about putting them out around the little nectarine tree. There is a small wild persimmon in front of that, so there is a bit of shelter from the late afternoon scorch.

Oh! Somehow, through all of its winter blooming insanity, the peach tree held on to about 30 little peaches this year! So, if we can keep the birds away, we should be able to enjoy some fruit. :cool:

The rose bush up by the veg garden is pumping out big beautiful pink roses right now, just as an encouragement to us. :biggrin: The herb cuttings I planted last week are starting to take. The Mexican Oregano, and the Germander are looking fit and healthy; the Italian Oregano is beginning to perk up and look as though it will make it. Not sure about the Winter Savory . . . Still don't know what I can do with the Germander, other than enjoy the plants. ???

The Meyer Lemons sound wonderful, memesuze. Moving trees is a problem. I am about to put my bay leaf trees into the ground this fall. Right now they are hardening in the semi-shady spot by my prairie willow in the westward front yard. Where did you get the Meyers?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I need to check with Larry and Carol Anne to see how big the Meyers get how fast. One thought would be to prune after the last of the fruit pick so that they could put on new wood in time to bud for the next year. Until you get a definitive answer, I'd see about pruning only one branch to see how it produces buds. I got mine at Lowes - a 12-inch pot for $22, IIRC. But John Dromgoole was touting a fresh shipment at the Natural Gardener on his show yesterday.

I don't have a clue about the lavender seeds except to say that the little transplants go in now. You might call that lavender farm out in the Hill Country to see if they have any suggestions. Or the herb farm at Round Top - they grow lavender.

Edited by memesuze (log)

I've been thinking more and more about hauling the Meyer in as it gets bigger and I get older and stiffer - what is the size I'm looking at on this - pot-bound and ground-sunk? Here in Austin we might have a mild winter that sees nary a day below 25 and then we might have one of those pipe-busters - I remember a cold week a few years ago when it was in the single digits for quite a long time. Very much the anomaly, tho. If it doesn't get too tall, I can always rig a wood frame covered with plastic with a trouble-light inside.

A mature Meyer lemon is about 10-12 feet high - and thinking about lugging the pot around is enough to make me feel stiff :smile: . They're supposed to be hardy to zone 8a (minimum 10 degrees F). No guarantees below 10 degrees. Although - for what it's worth - most trees - especially citrus - tend to be damaged by unexpected cold winter weather because they're too dry. So - if they're in the ground - don't forget to irrigate them in the winter. Robyn

So I moved the artichokes to the raised bed, and I mean RAISED--if one of the toddlers go missing, it's the first place the authorities will start lookin'. The chokes seem happier out of the container, and not hopelessy root-bound, duh, so they no longer eye me with the same degree of resentment.

I have country gentlemen corn shoots peeping up, and more heirloom toms awaiting burial on the garden wall. True story: I bought a Texas purple wisteria vine with the tomatoes, and absently plunked it down alongside the garden, forgot it during the downpour of a few days ago, and the damn thing fell on its side, but not before flinging its leading tendril over a tomato cage and snaking about the frame. The damn thing is going to be pretty once we attempt to direct it over a fence, but I swear it's part kudzu, part python.

I got some lavendar seeds from WildSeeds. No variety named on the pack, just lavendar. But, I have a question, or two. On the packet it suggests planting in the fall, but do I need to wait until then or can I put the seeds in now while we are still mild here around Austin? First time for lavendar for me. Will they do well in my westward facing front yard? I was thinking about putting them out around the little nectarine tree. There is a small wild persimmon in front of that, so there is a bit of shelter from the late afternoon scorch.

Lavender is pretty hard to start from seed. Lavender, chervil, chamomile, and I forget what else, need light to germinate. The only way I have successfully started them is by sprinkling the seeds on top of a pot filled with moist jiffy mix or whatever potting soil we had around the house. then I stuck the whole pot in a zip lock bag, closed it and put it in on a windowsill. Really works!

the hard part is getting those little guys to grow up. Right now I have one successful plant out of 20 growing and it's only 1/2 inch tall after 1 month of growing. I overwatered once and killed most of them. I think I should have left them in the baggie until they were bigger. I don't know. Good luck.

You probably want to shelter them from real Texas heat until they are fairly well established. Mine will go in the ground this fall, probably.

It's a real pain. It's much easier to just get a cutting from an existing plant. I did it because i couldn't stop myself from buying all sorts of lavender seed, and had to use them.

--NeroW

So I moved the artichokes to the raised bed, and I mean RAISED--if one of the toddlers go missing, it's the first place the authorities will start lookin'. The chokes seem happier out of the container, and not hopelessy root-bound, duh, so they no longer eye me with the same degree of resentment.

I have country gentlemen corn shoots peeping up, and more heirloom toms awaiting burial on the garden wall. True story: I bought a Texas purple wisteria vine with the tomatoes, and absently plunked it down alongside the garden, forgot it during the downpour of a few days ago, and the damn thing fell on its side, but not before flinging its leading tendril over a tomato cage and snaking about the frame. The damn thing is going to be pretty once we attempt to direct it over a fence, but I swear it's part kudzu, part python.

OK... I want pictures of an artichoke in Texas.

I am curious as to the Texas purple wisteria. What the heck is that? And, more importantly, why don't I know about it? :shock:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks for asking; Texas Japanese Purple Wisteria, a mouthful of contradictions, is not actually a garden item, but rather a climbing vine that will uproot your foundation and scamper from tree to tree in your yard if left unchecked. It also yields a beautiful purple and white bloom that resembles a grape cluster in shape. My folks had one in Houston, Miss Fifi, that overtook our patio beams and rained down purple blooms like Mardi Gras trash all spring. After 10 years, my mother felt it was getting out of hand and tried to cut it way back, burn it, salt the roots, etc., but the darn thing kept growing. In its prettiest interpretation, I saw one climbing through the boughs of a cedar tree in Washington county during antique week this year, and in full bloom it made the cedar look like a one-trick christmas tree.

And foisting pictures of my artichokes upon this forum at this time would be like making you sit thru my near-sighted nieces' first dance recital--you'll be glad I didn't.

So I moved the artichokes to the raised bed, and I mean RAISED--if one of the toddlers go missing, it's the first place the authorities will start lookin'.  The chokes seem  happier out of the container, and not hopelessy root-bound, duh, so they no longer eye me with the same degree of resentment. 

I have country gentlemen corn shoots peeping up, and more heirloom toms awaiting burial on the garden wall.  True story:  I bought a Texas purple wisteria vine with the tomatoes, and absently plunked it down alongside the garden, forgot it during the downpour of a few days ago, and the damn thing fell on its side, but not before flinging its leading tendril over a tomato cage and snaking about the frame.  The damn thing is going to be pretty once we attempt to direct it over a fence, but I swear it's part kudzu, part python.

OK... I want pictures of an artichoke in Texas.

I am curious as to the Texas purple wisteria. What the heck is that? And, more importantly, why don't I know about it? :shock:

jess, since we are vaguely in the same area, around sprawly Austin, where did you find the TX Japanese wisteria? I have been wanting to start some wisteria here on the home plot for a few years now. Friends gave me a seed pod from theirs up in AR last summer. :biggrin: I was planning to try throwing those down along the space that is still open on the back fence between the grapes and the passion flowers. (We have no "back" yard, but the fence does go behind the back deck, and run the length of our side yard from corner to corner.) However, thinking about what you have said about the kudzu aspect of the lovely vines, I hesitate to encourage it to grow where it may choke out the grapes.

Besides all that--I would, of course, prefer to have a Texas Japanese wisteria. :cool:

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Red Barn on Pond Springs. We were there Palm Sunday, and they were directing traffick and parking like it were a rock concert. Good luck!

thanks, jess. I'll have to make it over there, during a quieter time so no one knocks me down. :laugh:

We just put in the whole veg plot a few days ago in the new dirt. So far they think they are all TX queens at a coronation; standing up tall and ready to bust out with some blooms already. :biggrin: Snowy eggplant, and hot banana peppers in the front beds with assorted herbs and my one lovely silver lavendar. All the basil and thyme are looking happy around the one crepe myrtle, and Tabascos are in their spot around the other. Yesterday morning we put in a new mint bed, and my mr is dreaming of mint juleps this very moment. :laugh:

My neighbor offered us some of her bamboo, but I know that sneaky stuff, and after watching her hack some of it out of the ground . . . I declined. I'd rather start some castor beans for shade in the summer along the western front. Grew them for years out around Bastrop/Elgin. They die down so cooperatively during the winter for more sun went we appreciate it :cool: and you can mow them down should they tend to get out of hand. I started with five plants on the southwest side of the house and five and on the northwest; had about 30 on each side within two years. Great for shade, they grow up to 10-15 feet each season, with those big lovely leaves.

Anyone growing yellow brandywine tomatoes? We have two plants this year, and they look different from the usual tomato plants -- big elephant ear type leaves. Any tips?

Judith Love

Anyone growing yellow brandywine tomatoes? We have two plants this year, and they look different from the usual tomato plants -- big elephant ear type leaves. Any tips?

pink, and yes the leaves should look different. This is my first year with all heirloom varietals (and one olde faithful, Celebrity), so I'm crossing my fingers, especially after my mother cast aspersions on the idea. She thinks heirlooms are dead meat in the Texas heat, and therefore shall have none of my homemade bisque come June. Peh!

actually, all the 'looms look a little different; our black krim is more elephantine than the hybrids, and the leaves don't smell quite as peppery, either. wonder what that means?

Edited by jess mebane (log)

pink, and yes the leaves should look different. This is my first year with all heirloom varietals (and one olde faithful, Celebrity), so I'm crossing my fingers, especially after my mother cast aspersions on the idea. She thinks heirlooms are dead meat in the Texas heat, and therefore shall have none of my homemade bisque come June. Peh!

actually, all the 'looms look a little different; our black krim is more elephantine than the hybrids, and the leaves don't smell quite as peppery, either. wonder what that means?

Yeah, all the 'looms we looked at definitely had their own distinctive leaf configurations. I like to grow one variety of yellow or golden tomato each year. Most years I have gone with the little yellow pears (yum!). Last year I grew a few Golden Romas and loved those; wonderful for salsa. So this year we thought we'd try a yellow 'loom. Other than those we have an old favorite, Beef Eaters, and are trying a Superfantastic for the first time. One Cherry 100 in the front bed. No Celebrities this year, which we have always had before . . .

Well, the bamboo went in front of the western rock wall after all; on the lower level below the veg garden terrace. Mr just couldn't resist trying it after neighbor brought a clump and set them on the back deck. He did split them into single units (about five) and planted them in the rocky area with some compost/mulch. We'll see how they do. I'm thinking they won't like it much in the rocks anyway. Hard to resist an experiment I guess. :laugh:

Judith Love

Well, the bamboo went in front of the western rock wall after all; I'm thinking they won't like it much in the rocks anyway. Hard to resist an experiment I guess. :laugh:

:biggrin: My friend's place in Bastrop is next to a family whose tendency towards cars-as-landscaping is all too familiar a Texas tradition, but the bamboo growing up through the empty engine bay of their '72 Lincoln is lovely thriving. Yeah, rocks should really hold 'em..... :biggrin:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by lovebenton0 (log)

Judith Love

Well, the bamboo went in front of the western rock wall after all; I'm thinking they won't like it much in the rocks anyway. Hard to resist an experiment I guess. :laugh:

:biggrin: My friend's place in Bastrop is next to a family whose tendency towards cars-as-landscaping is all too familiar a Texas tradition, but the bamboo growing up through the empty engine bay of their '72 Lincoln is lovely thriving. Yeah, rocks should really hold 'em..... :biggrin:

Oh you laugh! But in some parts of Texas cars in the yard are more than just a handsome addition to any well appointed front yard- some folks consider cars in the yard to be art. :wink::laugh:

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Oh you laugh! But in some parts of Texas cars in the yard are more than just a handsome addition to any well appointed front yard- some folks consider cars in the yard to be art. :wink::laugh:

Saw those Caddies in person, shortly after they were planted. :laugh: Former lifetime as an artist--that will get you many an odd view of the world. :raz::wink:

I was laughing at the idea that anything could control/contain the wily bamboo. :laugh:

How's your okra, mayhaw man? :biggrin: Ours goes in the garden around June--for those late summer gumbos we can't live without.

Judith Love

Forgot to mention it - but my pea plants had flowers - and now I have peas (sugar snap peas). My husband and I are eating them off the vine while we're gardening. I doubt that any will make it to the kitchen :smile: .

Kind of lucked out this year. No late frost - and spring has been relatively cool until now. Robyn

Does anyone know of a place in Austin that has Asian veggie plants/seeds? Would really prefer seeds, but plants will do.

--actually, do you know if any Asian markets carry this stuff? Some do and some don't.

Edited by jschyun (log)

--NeroW

Places I would look: the Natural Gardener for both seeds and plants, It's About Thyme, and Barton Springs Nursery. But then that's depending on what you're searching for. I've never noticed seeds or plants at any of the Asian markets.

If seeds are your desire, why not check into some of the online seed vendors, like Shepherd's.

Forgot to mention it - but my pea plants had flowers - and now I have peas (sugar snap peas). My husband and I are eating them off the vine while we're gardening. I doubt that any will make it to the kitchen :smile: .

Kind of lucked out this year. No late frost - and spring has been relatively cool until now. Robyn

We -- the plants, the two humans here, and our water bill -- are all loving this gentle spring rain, soft days, and a bit of sunshine thrown in. Did someone order this for us special delivery? :biggrin:

Yellow brandywines, and Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes are blooming, along with the eggplants (Ichiban and Snowy). All the plants have a load of buds and the basils and thymes have doubled in size. The new mint bed is also looking good. :cool:

And the bamboo? Well it is just sitting there so far. :laugh:

We are happy. :biggrin:

We still want to see a shot of those artichokes, jess mebane. :wink:

Judith Love