• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to eat tonight in Bethesda?

JPW

Mrs. JPW and I are running errands in Bethesda after work today (need to return the surplus copy of Kitchen Confidential that I got for Xmas).

I was thinking Bacchus, but need a backup in case Mrs. JPW doesn't want mezze.

Opinions on any of the bistro-type places?

Not really in the mood for Indian or Thai tonight. Made a big pot of curry this week and have had it for leftovers one too many times.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

Mrs. JPW and I are running errands in Bethesda after work today (need to return the surplus copy of Kitchen Confidential that I got for Xmas).

I was thinking Bacchus, but need a backup in case Mrs. JPW doesn't want mezze.

Opinions on any of the bistro-type places?

Not really in the mood for Indian or Thai tonight. Made a big pot of curry this week and have had it for leftovers one too many times.

People like Grapeseed.

I liked it a lot too, but the truth is that it's small and on Friday it might not be the best palce to eat. Have you been there?

I like Matuba...

I like(d) Persimmon, but have heard less wonderful things recently.

Why not Houstons!? I don't care, I like that place...

Bistros?

People like Grapeseed.

I liked it a lot too, but the truth is that it's small and on Friday it might not be the best palce to eat. Have you been there?

I like Matuba...

I like(d) Persimmon, but have heard less wonderful things recently.

Why not Houstons!? I don't care, I like that place...

Bistros?

Thanks for the suggestions morela.

Never tried any of those places.

I, too, have heard Grapeseed was good. But overcrowding has become my pet peeve so maybe I'll hold off until a weeknight.

From the outside and from descriptions, there are a lot of places like Grapeseed that, if not real bistros, are described as having a bistro atmosphere. That sounded just about right to me on a cold day like this...

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I would totally, say go to Persimmon...

but it seems Washingtonian has given it a consistently good review and that Tom is straying from pointing people there in his chats, so I just don't know anymore.

:unsure:

I went with chefs, though, so my dinner might have been more special than I really know. Again, morela is a magical wanker.

Plus, the readers like it (click here to see their reviews):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...ype=restaurants

Aji Nippon.

Small Japanese restaurant on Arlington across from Bruce's Variety stip mall. You have to search a little, but it is well worth it!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

I haven't been a regular to the Bethesda dining scene for a bit, but I liked Grapeseed, too. Tako Grill is good, too. The Bethesda outlet of Oodles Noodles isn't bad, though not quite as good as the downtown outlet. South Beach Cafe was good, and I heard they moved a short distance from their original location a while back, but still in the same general vicinity. There's also a Bethesda outlet of Jaleo, too.

Sorry for the delay folks, I tend to avoid using computers over the weekend.

We ended up at Bacchus on Friday night. It was definately hit or miss.

Talking to the table next to us, I was informed that the understaffing was not a surprise, but rather a consistant thing.

I don't expect much out of the wine at a small ethnic place, but the best thing that I could say about the glass of merlot I had was "Well, it's wine". The lebanese beer tasted amazingly like Singha (sweet with high alcohol)

The dishes ranged from excellent (a grilled eggplant stuffed with walnuts and some type of very spicy vinagrette served cold), to pretty good (kibbeh - fried breaded ground lamb meatballs, schwarma - basically a lamb gyro) to disappointing (the falafel which was dry, bland, and served over an iceberg lettuce salad with something resembling a vinaigrette).

The overall experience was OK, but I really wonder how Sietsma recommended it highly. I've had better middle eastern dining experiences at both Lebanese Taverna and Cafe Ole, not to mention the greek place in Crystal City.

Not mad or disappointed, just satisfied, nothing more.

It would, however, be nice in the summer with the big patio space they have.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Walked past Grapeseed and it looked great. Will have to stop in there sometime.

Joe W

• 2 weeks later...

Just make sure to sit as far away from the door as possible if it's cold. The breeze that comes through that doorway is the worst.

Both Mrs JPW and I tend to feel that the food downtown is better than the food at the Bethesda outlet. Be interested to hear your comments.

Joe W

Just make sure to sit as far away from the door as possible if it's cold. The breeze that comes through that doorway is the worst.

Both Mrs JPW and I tend to feel that the food downtown is better than the food at the Bethesda outlet. Be interested to hear your comments.

Meaning at Jaleo? Thanks for the heads up!

Regarding the latter part of your comment - I've been to both and although I've heard that downtown is better, for the dishes I order, I didn't notice much difference. We'll probably try somewhere new to us anyway. :smile:

I do think the downtown Jaleo is better, but not significantly so.

Anyway, my current fave in Bethesda is Louisiana Express. The only quibble I have is that it's a little too far off Wisconsin Avenue (which some might argue is actually a good thing).

I heard a rumor that Montgomery's Grill closed. Does anyone know what is happening with that space?

Oh the Happy Hours I spent there

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Re: Mongomery's Grill, I think that was mentioned on Tom's last chat. Definitely closed.

My friends and I ended up at Mon Ami Gabi Saturday night. Yes, a mini-chain but because we waited until too late to make a reservation, pretty much everywhere else was booked. There were three of us eating on the early side (7 pm) and we tried Persimmon, Grapeseed and Heritage India - they all offered 10 pm seatings. Yikes!

Mon Ami Gabi turned out to be more than fine. We experienced very friendly and unrushed service in spite of the place being packed. My friends had the salmon which they raved about. I had steak Roquefort which I loved. It came with frites - they were good, but what I really enjoyed were the potatoes Dauphinois which we ordered to share. For dessert, the ubiquitous (yet tasty) flourless chocolate cake. With one glass of wine each (nothing spectacular, but drinkable), we paid about $30/32 per person.

Their valet parking process would probably be the only flaw in the night. Horribly understaffed so there was a longer wait than I've ever experienced with a valet situation.

Montgomery's Grill!

The last time I hung out there, cell phones were the size of TI-85 graphing calculators and the mid-thirties businessmen were sooo cool. Yup-oram!

**Now,

go here ----->

http://www.andrewsullivan.com/

When you get there,

scroll down to picture of Andrew Sullivan in his cowboy hat.

Below that there there a link ('this'). If you laugh, you get a glowstick!

• 1 month later...

I'll be dining out in Bethesda tomorrow night with a friend who's working there for the week. Not sure where yet, but I wouldn't be disappointed if she picked Mon Ami Gabi, chain or not, as it was pretty good on my last visit.

My food karma has been bad lately though...post Benihana, I had to have lunch at *gasp* the Cheesecake Factory/Tyson's. Mom was in town and that was where her old friend chose saying "I've heard great things." I suffered through as much of my bacon cheeseburger as I could, but was put off by the sheer size of it. Seriously, it must have been a whole 1/2 of beef. Given my appetite of late, I barely put a dent in it.

I'm kind of bored with Jaleo so I don't plan to suggest it. My friends and I spend more time in the Glover Park Austin Grill than I care to admit so I can't see us going to the Bethesda outpost. Waiting to hear what types of food visiting friend prefers.