• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cigala or Perseverance?

I need to book somewhere for a fairly casual business lunch in Bloomsbury. My first thought was Cigala (I've been 2-3 times but not for a year); my second was The Perseverance over the road (never eaten there).

Couldn't find any recent reviews here. There was a poor (but well-written) one of the P. from last March on London-Eating.

Has anyone been recently? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks,

W.

I know your pain.

I work in Bloomsbury and we are constantly at a loss about where to 'do' business lunches.

Our main standby is usually Mela on Shaftesbury Ave. We have decided not to go back to Cigala since a Spanish workmate condemned the place as a disappointment. I'm not sure about the Perseverance - but I have heard good-ish things.

The British Museum has a restaurant upstairs in the new bit - they do very good set teas and their lunches arent too bad either. The setting is quite spectacular and never fails to impress people we bring there (but generally those who work in higher education are quite easily impressed by the BM).

Have you thought of Mon Plaisir on Monmouth Street - perhaps slightly out of the way but the food is very good and the environment is very bistro-like.

Mela is pretty good I think for the West End (was there on Wednesday) but too far from my meeting; Hakkasan is probably too upscale (the client is an academic :wink:)...

...but The Great Court would be perfect. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks!

I was taken to the Perseverance for a business lunch. Was OK, although could, really, have been a bit more comfy (we were downstairs, by the way).

To be honest, when it's a business lunch I'm normally concentrating on the conversation rather than the food (dreadful waste - the restaurants for business are far grander than the ones i pay for myself in my own time).

Went to Cigala paying for myself plus girlf. Thought it was OK, but too expensive for what it was. And for the same money, there are better places elsewhere in London. Although on expenses, maybe it's a good bet.

It's sufficiently expensive to be a treat, and it's different enough to be of interest to people that do lots of business lunches. I'd glady do business lunch there for this reason.

Although in my view, the best place for business lunch, that's not far away, is Cafe du Marche in Charterhouse Square. Bliss.

The British Museum has a restaurant upstairs in the new bit - they do very good set teas and their lunches arent too bad either. The setting is quite spectacular and never fails to impress people we bring there (but generally those who work in higher education are quite easily impressed by the BM).

but not the staff canteen - possibly the second worst food I have ever tried to eat (the worst being my current but soon to be ex employer)

I went to the Court Restaurant yesterday for lunch and was quite disappointed. This is run by the ubiquitous Digby Trout (who catered for 130 brilliantly at a party we threw at Dulwich Picture Gallery).

I had pheasant terrine to start which didn't come with toast so I had to ask for bread. It was OK but a bit bland. The cherry tomato compote was quite a good idea. My companions has smoked salmon which again came without bread.

Main for me was teriyaki salmon with noodles and bok choi. The noodles were cold and the teriyaki poor, although the salmon and bok choi were quite good. The others had pasta with grilled artichokes which looked OK but a rip off at £10 and an apricot stuffedd chicken breast that looked a bit dry.

Deserts were excellent though - citrus tart which i didn't taste and an intense chocolate torte with caramelised orange peel.

Excellent wine - Domaine Lalande Pouilly Fuisse 2001 (not 2000 as advertised) at £35 which had a great Burgundian depth and oiliness with a good fruit/acid balance. Still, Bibendum have this for just under £13 so quite a high mark-up.

3x3 course, wine, coffee and service (which was slow) came to £122.

Great location but I won't be going back for the food.