• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orange County Fish

toni guy

For anyone living in Orange County or close by: where's the best place to buy fish?

I live right by a Santa Monica Seafood Co. retail store but I was wondering if there is anywhere better to pick up some fresh seafood.

Thanks,

Chiel

When I lived in SoCal, I had tons of friends in Newport Beach and Costa Mesa. Whenever there was a potluck, if I didn't have time to cook, I would go to the Santa Monica Seafood on East 17th Street in Costa Mesa and pick up smoked albacore.

It was always the first dish gone...

Fabulous Fish!

Try the Redondo Beach pier area...there are a bunch of fish markets with some pretty impressive stuff. Capn Kidds has about everything you can think of....in tanks and they will cook it for you there if you want....Also try Quality Seafood at 100-130 International Boardwalk in Redondo...310 374 2382 or qualityseafood.net

Ports of Call village in San Pedro is also pretty awesome..you can get a plastic tray full of fresh shrimp with peppers and onions along with massive hunk of garlic bread and some cold cerveza, sit by the water and watch the cruise ships go by!

Crusty Crab is at 1146 Nagoya Way, Berth 79 San Pedro 310 519 9058

its closer than newport and pretty good!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Hmm, good question. I haven't made much of an effort to case out the seafood purveyors around here, but in general the Japanese markets have a good selection of seafood, at astoundingly high prices. But I saw o-toro recently at Marukai for I think $25 a pound, which is actually pretty reasonable in my mind. Unfortunately, at the Costa Mesa Marukai, you have to pay a dollar a month for "membership" and I tend to lose mine.

But for crab and lobster, I usually go to 99 Ranch, the on in Irvine on Jeffrey and Walnut, because they often have specials like $6.99 for lobster, and sometimes $3.99 or $4.99 for Dungeness crab. Of course they're all live. I did a thread on this a while ago, but you won't learn much more than I'm telling you now.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Redondo Beach pier area...

Ports of Call village in San Pedro 

Chris,

I haven't lived in SoCal for quite a few years - but these are both a long haul from Orange County. Newport, on the other hand, is prime OC territory.

I was assuming he lived in Santa Monica...but now that I read it...the post said Santa Monica seafood company...not the city of Santa Monica...oh well, those places i wrote about might still be useful for someone else!

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

A few months back Russ Parsons did a great article in the LA Times Food section about fish, including the great places to get it. Many in LA but there were others. Scroll through my weekly "digests" on the Media board and you'll find the summary and links to the articles.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I used to use Santa Monica Seafood, but really, I haven't been very pleased with my purchases lately. You have to be careful and insist, despite the odd looks and sometimes flat out refusals, to smell the fish and to check the condition of the pieces you're buying.

The real gem is Maukai. It's a mostly-Japanese market on Harbor at Baker. The sushi-grade cuts they sell there are to die for, even if the highest grade toro will set you back $60 per pound. They sell beautiful whole snappers there. Give it a go.

Bristol Farms carries nice product, particularly shellfish, but the prices make me want to punch myself in the face. I can never walk into that store without dropping $75, on mostly nothing.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I was assuming he lived in Santa Monica...but now that I read it...the post said Santa Monica seafood company...not the city of Santa Monica...oh well, those places i wrote about might still be useful for someone else! 

Ya I live in Costa Mesa but thanks for the info anyways. Next time I'm close to Redondo I'll check it out.

I used to use Santa Monica Seafood, but really, I haven't been very pleased with my purchases lately.

I'm in the same boat. We live off of 19th so SMSCo is right there but recently I haven't been too happy with some of their seafood. That's actually the reason for the original post.

The real gem is Maukai.

I love Marukai. I can't say they haven't pleased me when I've gone there, I was just wondering about some other places. mmmm We picked up some unagi last time we were there... pretty good.

I feel you. I wish there were a really fantastic fish place near here, which is what I had hoped for when Santa Monica first went in on 17th Street. It was good for awhile, and maybe it still is and I'm not giving it enough credit, but it seems a little "off" and the fact that they don't have a huge volume of business doesn't exactly inspire me. I'm afraid they don't turn over enough product to get the freshest in at all times. Last time I bought scallops from there they had a really off-putting flavor. Anyway, if you come across a real gem, let me know!

One thing you can always consider is Ingardia Brothers on Placentia Avenue in Costa Mesa. You've seen their trucks around town I'm sure. You can set up a cash-only merchant account and get some pretty amazing stuff. They're facility is really clean, the fish brought in daily. If you chat with the employees there and/or give them a good tip on your first couple of visits, they'll really take care of you. The produce is all restaurant-quality if you can get away with buying it larger and even full case quantities.

EDIT: Grammar

Edited by SiseFromm (log)

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

I second the 99 Ranch suggestion, and, depending on the type of seafood you're looking for, there's a place (sorry can't remember the name) in Garden Grove on Brookhurst between Trask and Westminster, that has some fresh fish and good prices, and a VERY fish markety look, feel and smell :blink: ! If you're used to the hyper sanitary and upscale feel of places like Bristol Farms (I loved that comment about the prices making you want to punch yourself) and SMSF, take a shot of something before you venture into this neck of the woods. :raz:

Oh, another recent seafood find for me was the sashimi grade Hokkaido scallops at Trader Joe's. They are incredibly sweet, and a whole bag is 7 bucks! They are definitely sushi/sashimi worthy and make incredible ceviche.

Edited by bottomlesspit (log)

sg

Oh, another recent seafood find for me was the sashimi grade Hokkaido scallops at Trader Joe's

Interesting. I think I've seen those scallops before but have never given them a try. I always keep a few 1lb. bags of their uncooked shrimp on hand in the freezer, especially the Argentinian Red shrimp, when they're not sold out of course. I'll have to pick up a bag of the scallops next time I'm there.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com