• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marc Veyrat

cabrales

It's weird that no one ever talks about Mark Veyrat's cooking. Anyone has any recent reviews?

It is interesting. I haven't been myself in a decade even though I get to the Annecy/Geneva area almost every year and indeed when I go next Feb I'll go to the Ferme de Lormay (if open, Albert Bonamy has a bizarre schedule) up the road 33 km in Le Grand-Bornand or the Maison de Filippo in Courmayeur on the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel instead.

There is a Merged Topic, however, that does have one long report and several short comments on Veyrat.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

It's weird that no one ever talks about Mark Veyrat's cooking. Anyone has any recent reviews?

It is interesting. I haven't been myself in a decade even though I get to the Annecy/Geneva area almost every year and indeed when I go next Feb I'll go to the Ferme de Lormay (if open, Albert Bonamy has a bizarre schedule) up the road 33 km in Le Grand-Bornand or the Maison de Filippo in Courmayeur on the other side of the Mont Blanc tunnel instead.

There is a Merged Topic, however, that does have one long report and several short comments on Veyrat.

John,

Much much better than Filippo, in my mind, is La Clotze in Planpincieux, about 5 km. north of Cormayeur

• 4 months later...

Saturday's Figaro had a little blurb saying that in the wake of his Agnes Vienot book "Le fast-food sain et bio," Marc Veyrat had opened a fitting restaurant Wednesday in Annecy le Vieux called Cozna Vera next to the tea salon/etc run by his daughter; it features food like you'd get at home and take out such as pot au feu, blanquette, boeuf bourguignon, etc for 8-10 Euros apiece.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 7 months later...

My trip to Europe in autumn 2008 is the “right” one as far as dining is concerned. I was glad with my choices of restaurants, in particular Maisons de Bricourt and Maison de Marc Veyrat, for obvious reasons: both of them had returned their glory back to Michelin. Who is the next in line to retire? Maybe I should go to Haeberlin’s or Guerrard’s establishments the next time I’m coming back, but Guerrard and Bras are not easy to reach by public transportation

Food (and wine) – 98/100

All of culinary fanatics will definitely know that the cuisine of Marc Veyrat is creative and revolutionary. I’m not sure who came first, but he, Bras and Gagnaire keep French gastronomy interesting. The restaurant only offered one menu: 18-course degustation menu, and the price was never mentioned, but I already checked on the web before coming here so I know what to expect. Everything is pretty much top notch here, including the bread and cheese selection; unlike Parisian chefs, most of his ingredients come from the Savoy surroundings. Some of the memorable dishes: soda Veyrat (mint, sour mustard), virtual yoghurt that really taste like foie gras, the local fish was incredibly fresh flavored with mint cappuccino sauce. The (seared) langoustine served in sashimi-like style, the virtual noodle melting in the pot is interesting and entertaining. I love my main course: “steak pie” with cheese and some summer black truffle in between. Also, let’s not forget the signature dish: tartifilette (strong tastes and pungent smells of reblochon, potatoes with white wine, cream of bacon etc.)

However, the desserts (by chef’s daughter) are not as memorable as the main dishes. Don’t get me wrong, they’re not bad; I just expected more from Veyrat’s establishment. The mignardises of crème brulee are slightly better than the desserts. Anticipating high price, I only had a glass of champagne (house brand), white and red wine. The 1st one (white) was 2004 Domaine G. Berlioz Chignin-Bergeron - it lacked in acidity with interesting aromas; another one (red) was 2004 Chateau le Puy - a dark wine with oak smell and a touch of creaminess. Strictly, for food, it has 98/100 (as good as or very closed to my standard meal at Arpege). It’s among the best 3-star places I’ve had

Service (and ambiance) – 95/100

This restaurant is widely known as a blue house near Lake Annecy. The dining room is located at the rustic basement, but inside it’s spacious and warmth. Moreover, it’s rather modern surprisingly, many things are computerized. Staffs held their PDA to put instruction for kitchen etc. The service is as good as you would expect from 3-star level in France. Staffs are courteous, friendly and passionate with their jobs. They’re proud of working for world class restaurant and very knowledgeable. They’re also never late to pour water, change napkins or if you need any assistance. If not mistaken, the ratio of staffs and guest is closed to one-to-one.

The chef loves walking around and talks to whoever guests speaking French. I don’t but he tried to speak English. I told him I was a big fan of Passard’s and he said in English “Oh, Passard is one of my good friend”. It’s possible that the chef used to be a proud man, but the ski incident might have changed his personality to be more convivial. The experience here is as good as it gets; you got what you paid for. It’s sad news to know that people will not be able to savor Veyrat’s 3-star food anymore; at the same time I’m happy to have tried it at least once. The overall experience here is 97/100 (a solid 3-star in my notes), as a matter of fact, this is my 2nd best restaurant I’ve ever been (Arpege stays at the top, and Le Louis XV holding the 3rd place). Here are the pictures, Maison Veyrat pictures

This is the review, Marc Veyrat review