• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ethnic" Stores in Phoenix area...

I am moving to Phoenix in a little less than 2 months and was curious about the ethnic markets available. Anything from Indian, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Italian...whatever anyone would have knowledge about.

Any knowledge that someone is willing to share is highly appreciated :).

--Jenn

You'll find nearly every kind of ethnic market you need... just not a lot of choices.

For Chinese (and most Asian stuff), the big market is 99 Ranch, at the 202 Freeway at 44th Street (Copco Center). Lots of fresh -- and live! -- fish, plenty of ingredients, super prices. Their produce is uneven; the prices are very good, and when the produce is fresh it's wonderful, but I've often gotten stuff that was of poor quality. So check 'em carefully.

My other choice for Chinese market is House of Rice, on Hayden at Osborn. Much smaller, and half the store is given over to supplies (such as woks and serving dishes), but the quality is always top notch and they even have (excellent) cooking classes. Recommended.

There's a good Indian market on Camelback and 3rd Street. Best place in town to buy spices, even if you aren't an Indian food fan.

Another favorite ethnic market is Edelweiss, the German deli and market on Cave Creek road. They stock all the things I need for Eastern European cooking, such as double smoked bacon. Plus a few tables right there, if you can't wait for your sausage lunch.

When it comes to Mexican ingredients, the place you want is Food City. There are a few of 'em around town, though the one I go to is at Greenway and 32nd Street. Want buckets of chiles? Stacks of tortillas? Fresh lard? That's the place.

How's that for a start?

estherschindler, thank you so much!

That is nice to hear that there is a good store for Eastern European food, being of German descent I miss some of the great food that was so easily available back in Missouri (never found a place here in Texas).

Thanks again :) :smile:

--Jenn

Another Asian market is Lee Lee in Chandler. I believe it's bigger than 99 Ranch Market, and it has a huge fresh seafood section. I love getting fresh herbs there, especially big bunches of mint, and big stalks of lemon grass and lime leaves.

There are a bunch of little Middle Eastern stores as well. Haji-Baba in Tempe has a lot of little bagged spices and a huge selection of baklava on display (haven't tried it yet). Middle Eastern Bakery and Deli in Phoenix has an assortment of dips and sauces and the like, as well as a nice little restaurant on the inside. (Come to think of it, Haji-Baba has a nice little restaurant on the inside, too.)

-cg

How nice to have all this activity. How about a good Italian grocery. I am looking for good homemade sausages.

I'm not familiar with the Italian groceries in the area (I've been meaning to find some because I want to find some good pancetta), but I know there's a place that makes great sausages. It's called Schriener's, it's located at 3601 N 7th St. in Phoenix. Haven't actually been in the store, but they supply the fennel sausage at Pizzeria Bianco that makes me swoon.

-cg

How about a good Italian grocery. I am looking for good homemade sausages.

I confess that I don't go ga-ga over Italian food, at least not to the point of searching out obscure ingredients.

However, I was told that there's a good Italian deli on the east side of Cave Creek Road, someplace north of Cactus? I'm sorry, I don't know the name of it and I haven't been there. (It wouldn't be far from the German deli, in case you're ready for a European excursion.)

FWIW, I've found some very good sausage both at AJ's (for the general sort of stuff) and at Whole Foods Market (for a wider range of flavors). But this isn't an area in which I pretend any expertise.

Thanks for all the great tips :)

While in Phoenix this past weekend I drove past a Middle Eastern market (Southwest corner) and Asian market (Northwest corner) at the junction of 17th and Camelback.

I did not have the time to stop in to check them out, but I will surely do so at a later time.

--Jenn

:that makes great sausages.  It's called Schriener's, it's located at 3601 N 7th St. in Phoenix.  Haven't actually been in the store, but they supply the fennel sausage at Pizzeria Bianco that makes me swoon.

Went to Schreiner's on Friday. Loved the great selection and the shop. I thought I had a good selection in Reading but this was superior!

Esther have also gone to 99 Ranch and House of Rice and loved both of them.

• 1 month later...

For the person who asked about Italian markets:

The one at 15003 N Cave Creek and is north of Cactus and is called the New Jersey Italian Deli. It is ok but not my favorite.

As a second generation Italian American from Detroit, let me recommend in order of preference for their homemade sauage and all around selection and price:

Niccolis, 6102 N. 16th St. (Owners are delightful people, wonderful selection, very clean)

Tony's Italian Deli, 536 E. Dunlap (Mama is still at the cash register, the place is a little dusty, but the take out food is great and so is the sausage. I have found some good bargains on Italian kitchen goodies on the dusty shelves)

Guido's Chicago Meat and Deli, 10893 N. Scottsdale Rd, in the strip mall at the N.E. corner of Shea and Scottsdale Rd. (Pricey but the real thing)

There is another good one on Scottsdale Rd near Mc Dowell (directly accross from the Smart & Final), but I have forgotten the name.

Some people like Romanelli's at Dunlap and 35th Ave., but I am not a fan.

I hear there is another upscale Italian market opening in downtown Phoenix!

I'm getting old - the Italian market in South Scottsdale is called "De Falco's" - it's at 2334 N. Scottsdale Rd.

It is a nice deli and market, very respectable Italian sausage, and they give case discounts on canned Italian tomatos.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite places to shop for ethnic stuff is Lee Lee. It's not just Asian groceries, but also Indian, Middle Eastern, Latin, etc. If I need any kind of Asian ingredient, be it pantry staples like soy sauce or produce such as ginger, I go there because it's soooo much cheaper than at the regular supermarket. The meats and chicken are also extremely reasonably priced. I think boneless, skinless chicken breasts are $1.99 a pound, and ground beef was $1.59 a pound. I haven't tried the seafood, but everyone I know who has really raves about it. I like Lee Lee so much that I've told my husband that we can't ever move far away from it. :biggrin:

For Italian grocers, I've only been to Guido's, and it's good.

• 4 years later...

LeeLee has opened a second location on the SW corner of Cactus and 75th Avenue in Peoria. This location is larger than the original, has a large liquor department, a cafe, and, a full-service restaurant. Not only does this location have more & different foods, the aisles are wider so it's easier to navigate.

x2 on DeFalco's in Scottsdale for Italian deli meats and groceries. There's a couple small Indian markets in Tempe and Chandler. Don't forget the Super Mercado and Food City's for the Latino foods, but that is hardly a niche market in Phx Metro.

I frequent LeeLee's a lot.

Stanley's on McDowell is a proper Eastern European deli. Sausages, breads, lunchmeats, pierogis, cabbage rolls, etc. They have a few groceries and what I consider the best natural casing hotdogs in Az.

(edited to add Stanley's)

Edited by lemniscate (log)

When I visited Austin Tx and vicinity, there seemed to all kinds of German, Czech and Polish foods around.

estherschindler, thank you so much!

That is nice to hear that there is a good store for Eastern European food, being of German descent I miss some of the great food that was so easily available back in Missouri (never found a place here in Texas).

Thanks again :)  :smile:

(oops, boy, this is an old thread, didn't notice the original poster date, 2004!!??. Welcome to Phx. belatedly.)

Edited by lemniscate (log)