• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cardinal sin in Indian cooking

Monica Bhide

Don't know if this is a cardinal sin, but one of my pet peeves is the smell and taste of uncooked spices in Indian food. eg. turmeric, ground coriander. This is the reason I don't go near the food in my company's cafeteria on the days they have the "Indian" menu!

Of course there are some spices (like the bengali garam masala) that can be left uncooked sometimes but I am not talking about those.

Another one -- the use of way too much spices. This is the classic sign of a bad Indian restaurant. Or when they ask "how spicy do you want the food?" question at an Indian restaurant in the US...

Of course. Next time I'm down your way, I'll contact you.  :laugh:

:wub: I meant would you like the recipe.. to prepare it

I knew you meant that. :laugh:

Sure, feel free to post or PM the recipe.

Michael aka "Pan"

I don't know if this is a cardinal sin but I absolutely hate it when there is too much ghee. If it puddles into a big greasy pool, I can't eat it.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Here's what gets me fuming...

- Spices over-roasted (read burnt) before grinding them for masala powders!

- Curries that curdle because the yoghurt was not correctly incorporated

- Trying to pass off parsley as dhania

- Indian food = chilli powder

- burnt or undercooked onions in a curry

- This is personal but red colouring in Tandoori

I know this isn't really a problem with 'Real' indian cooking, more anglo-indian bastardisations, but Fruit, where it shouldn't be is a big no no.

(For those not in the know, Indian food in Britain used to equate to a bowl of stew, with half a teaspoon of 5 year old curry powder, sultanas and apricots, served topped with dessicated coconut and sliced bananas on the side)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I don't know if this is a cardinal sin but I absolutely hate it when there is too much ghee. If it puddles into a big greasy pool, I can't eat it.

When I was very young, I remember my grandmother telling her new daughterinlaw that is was a sign of a prosperous household if the ghee bubbled at the top of each dish! Yikes

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

I don't know if this is a cardinal sin but I absolutely hate it when there is too much ghee.  If it puddles into a big greasy pool, I can't eat it.

When I was very young, I remember my grandmother telling her new daughterinlaw that is was a sign of a prosperous household if the ghee bubbled at the top of each dish! Yikes

Although not in every dish, but there is nothing wrong in GOOD ghee bubbling on top of some dishes (Rogan josh, or Moon Dal Halwa... etc.)

The key word here is GOOD, which usually translates to Pure (Desi) ghee (Clarified Butter) in the Indian context.

Based on centuries old traditions and experience, your Grandmother is probably right.

Just my 2 cents worth..

I don't know if this is a cardinal sin but I absolutely hate it when there is too much ghee.  If it puddles into a big greasy pool, I can't eat it.

Yeah, I think I've actually heard something like this. Agh! I guess I forgot.

--as the worst offender was in Newport Beach, CA, I suppose it fits. As I haven't had enough ghee to tell which is bad or good, I couldn't tell on that one.

This is obviously not a cardinal sin then, just personal preference. Apologies for the faux pas.

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

- Curries that curdle because the yoghurt was not correctly incorporated

This is a particular weakness of mine. Can you give some tips for how to avoid it? Much appreciated!

as our lord alton brown has said, dairy products must always be incorporated into sauces in the presence of fat.