• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Judging Doneness

Fat Guy

Mine [Polder probe] went totally wacko though, measuring normal air temperature at 170 degrees. I am having an awful time replacing it - the few stores that carry it are out and it is back-ordered on Amazon.

After I trashed the first probe on my Polder, I bought another. Eventually, the second probe got too hot and died also. I've had the following info sitting around since Sept. 1999, but haven't tried it yet:

Polder sells probes for $6.00. 800-431-2133, Denise on Ext 245.

I suspect the phone number is still good, dunno if Denise or the extension number are still applicable though. One of these years, I really should get replacements though.

My done-ness methods are pretty similar to Jaymes' (and most everyone elses). Time, appearance, and the push test for thin stuff. If I did large roasts, I'd go by temp, but I don't do large roasts.

For roast whole poultry though, I use the "shake hands" test. Shake hands with the bird - that is, grab the end of the leg, and check for the proper looseness in the leg and thigh joints. Like the push test, it takes some experience to be able to gauge the feel to the amount of done-ness.

I have never used a meat thermometer. I never saw one when I was growing up, we never had one in the home, and I learnt to cook meat before I was aware such a thing existed. So I've just carried on the same way.

Testing doneness depends on size and cut, of course. For large birds, I find testing the juices usually works, but I do make a number of tiny insertions in different parts of the bird. If I ever get it wrong - and I do - finding the meat to be underdone when the bird is carved, an easy solution is to just toss the slices of meat in a pan for a minute or two (with a little cooking juice). Once the meat is carved from the bone, it cooks very quickly.

In fact, I employ that technique a lot, not because of cooking errors, but because my Beloved prefers meat of any kind to be well done. I get mine bloody (if appropriate); hers just gets an extra minute or two in a pan. Everybody happy.