• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: "Non-Fancy" NYC Restaurants

Pan

I first went to Tout va Bien in 1974. Perhaps the only true French bistro (old sense of the word) in NYC. Great unpretentious French food at a reasonable price.

I last ate there in 1999. Nothing had changed in 25 years. It's on W. 51st.

Wow Soshea, I dined at Tout Va Bien in '74 too! I was in high school and led a pack of bus tourists to it. It's a long story for another day on another thread.... :wink:

But anyway, they serve great frites! I've been back a few times since and though not everything was always wonderful, I always had a great time there and enjoyed the rack of lamb or grilled chicken. Keep it simple.

And... Not that urban sophisticate NYers would care but...this is a little secret for the out of town visitors out there...

You wanna see celebrities when you visit the Big Apple? This is the spot! Every time I've been to Tout Va Bien I've seen actors appearing on Broadway eating there. Now this will date me, the last time I went I saw Nicol Williamson. I won't say anything more because I believe he is still alive. Let's just say that it was an interesting experience. :cool:

One of our family's long-time favorites is Sevilla, located on West 4th and Charles. Excellent, decently priced Spanish food and great Sangria. My wife's family has been going for over 20 years. It is certainly not in the Adria or Arzak mode, but good Spanish comfort food at good prices.

2nd Sevilla. have been eating there for 30 yrs. never consider anyplace else when going for Spanish.

???? :

" Honorable mention: Florent (in the meatpacking district), for their absolutely wonderful ... , rillettes, and daily specials. "

had the rlllettes, served as 2 scoops similar to an ice cream scoop, absolutely terrible, tasted like dog food!!! manager was very gracious.

Trish, how recently did you last eat there? 1999 is way too old to be reliable as an opinion about the current state of a restaurant.

I guess I last went in 1996 when Nicol Williamson was in a one man play on Broadway.

Pan, I can't say how this restaurant is today, I was making my comments based on Soshea's.... Perhaps some NYers can enlighten. This thread is a great learning tool, thanks.

One of our family's long-time favorites is Sevilla, located on West 4th and Charles.  Excellent, decently priced Spanish food and great Sangria.  My wife's family has been going for over 20 years.  It is certainly not in the Adria or Arzak mode, but good Spanish comfort food at good prices.

2nd Sevilla. have been eating there for 30 yrs. never consider anyplace else when going for Spanish.

???? :

" Honorable mention: Florent (in the meatpacking district), for their absolutely wonderful ... , rillettes, and daily specials. "

had the rlllettes, served as 2 scoops similar to an ice cream scoop, absolutely terrible, tasted like dog food!!! manager was very gracious.

Who are you quoting about the "honorable mention," J?

What are Sevilla's prices like? Do they make a good paella?

Michael aka "Pan"

As long as we're adding descriptions, I'll put my 2 cents in.

Cho Dang Gol: Korean, specializing in tofu. Good panchan. Easily one of the best Korean restaurants in the city. Midtown. When i've eaten there, my meals were always $15 and under per person.

Also, I haven't seen any ethiopian restaurants mentioned. Queen of Sheba is one that i've eaten at, and it was pretty good and inexpensive, $15 and under per person. I haven't eaten at many others in the city, so I can't really compare. It's at 10th and 46th.

Also here's a link to the NY Times best cheap restaurants.

Edited by ErinB (log)

I will add two dishes that have been missed.

Curry Beef Brisket at Malaysia in the Bowery arcade. This dish used to be even better, with more rempeh and fattier beef, but it is still one of the best things in the City. I also think that their Ayam Goreng and Hainanese Chicken Rice are best of class. The Satay used to be brilliant, but they changed the recipe for some reason, and is now average.

Fish Head Curry at Malaysia/Indonesia Restaurant on Doyers and Pell. Better here than in most places in Singapore. Roti Canai/Paratha, Satay (w/ketupat), and Malay sweets are also excellent.

I recently posted about my bad experience at New Malaysia:

New Malaysia Restaurant, Not the answer

I used to like Malaysia/Indonesia until, one evening, I got a cup of tea with a little roach boiled in the tea.

Erin, I agree with Cho Dang Gol. It's slightly fancy, though, I think. Dinner would run around $30 or so. I love their artisanal tofu dishes. Yep, they make their own tofu, in several varieties.

And if we include Cho Dang Gol, Woo Chon, which is also slightly fancy, also belongs. You can read about a dinner 8 of us (well, 5 eGulleteers and 3 non-eGulleteers) had there last night if you click here.

There are two branches of Woo Chon. I've been to their Kissena Blvd. branch (across from the Flushing branch of the Queens Public Library) several times and love it. Based on the one meal I've had so far at their W. 36 St. location (between 5th and 6th), it would seem that the two locations are of comparable and very possibly equal quality, and they're the best I've been to in New York. Long, varied menu, with enough different types of things to please anyone who likes Korean food, prepared deliciously.

Michael aka "Pan"

The other Korean place I'd propose for this list is Kang Suh, which is great for parties, but also nice to go to in smaller numbers for barbecue. As much noted, if you're upstairs, the regular tables have charcoal burners (not in the party rooms, though). The menu is long and quite good, and I've enjoyed service there. Make sure to confirm your reservation, though: Sometimes, SNAFUs happen. Expect to pay about $30-35/person for dinner.

Michael aka "Pan"

One of our family's long-time favorites is Sevilla, located on West 4th and Charles.  Excellent, decently priced Spanish food and great Sangria.  My wife's family has been going for over 20 years.  It is certainly not in the Adria or Arzak mode, but good Spanish comfort food at good prices.

???? :

sorry, quoting

Soba in his earlier post:

"Honorable mention: Florent (in the meatpacking district), for their absolutely wonderful foie gras rillettes..."

sevilla's prices are very reasonable & their paellas are excellent. another dish not to be missed is "chicken villaroy" - incredible!!!

???? :

Paella's good. I think most are in the $16 to $22 range, but it is a ton of food (I don't think anyone I've gone with has ever finished one.) They have 4 different paellas and 5 different marascadas. I personally go for the Bacalao, usually in green sauce. I know several people who have had the veal dishes and enjoyed them as well. The only negative is they charge you a little extra to share a dish (I think it's like $4 or $5), but given the portion size it often works out better that way.

Here is the menu. Unfortunately they don't include the prices. Most entrees are between $12 and $22.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Thanks a lot, Mikey.

Could you describe Mariscada a little?

just go! a description will not do it, or the paellas, justice!! snag a seat at the bar & order a pitcher of sangria to prepare for the wait, which is fun once u relax. then get another pitcher at the table. no appetizer, the salad & its dressing is great, get a representative sampling, i.e., paella, mariscada, chicken villaroy!

be sure & go with at least 6.

enjoy :biggrin:

Edited by jgould (log)

I'm with Robyn who mentioned awhile back, that sorting entries by neighborhood is a good idea. I've been living downtown for about 30 years, I would welcome a guide to other parts of town from a reliable source. I don't think the appeal is limited to tourists.

Regarding "Peasant" on Elizabeth St. Yes, it's dark, very dark, but it really is very good, very real Tuscan food. We go there with other Italianophiles (is that word?) when we are missing actually being in Italy. Its simple, good, Italian food, and yes, wonderful roast meats. Bring a flashlight.

Someone also mentioned Le Jardin Bistro (Cleveland St...which is a little off shoot of Lafayette St between Spring and Broome). This restaurant has one of the best outdoor gardens in the summer, with a real grape arbor. That they harvest and make wine from..OK, maybe 2 bottles. But its still the right spirit. Classic bistro dishes: escargot, coq au vin, soupe de poisson (with cheese!). Also cozy and inviting in the winter.

Another quirky gem is Le Streghe on the corner of W.Broadway and Grand. Wonderful Northern Italian food served in a very congenial setting. Particularly in the summer when all the windows are open and Theresa is running the room. She knows everyone and by the end of the evening you will know everyone of interest in the room as well. Being Italian they get into some serious sport viewing nights, great place to go during the World Cup. Its' the full 'conviva" experience! Recommend the lamb ragu highly.

Also from a woman's POV - especially with a child in tow - I still enjoy Serendipity 3. Unbelievable - the place has been there for decades.

Not to go on a tangent, but I'm surprised you found attitude at Katz's and not at Serendipity. Their frozen hot chocolate is amazing, but what a bunch of jerks running that place! I remember one of their waiters was trying to get down the stairs and yelled to the customers ahead of him to hurry up. (Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen).

I was talking to my husband at lunch and he told me the deli I disliked wasn't Katz's but another famous New York deli which hasn't been mentioned in this thread. No need to mention that place -

So, what deli was it?

It was the Carnegie Deli. Robyn

So I'll add some more mini-reviews tonight.

Il Bagatto (2nd St. between A and B) may be trendy, but it's informal. Arrive early and try getting space downstairs, or get reservations and be prepared to wait, anyway. But the food and wine is very good at this place, and they make good cocktails. If only it had enough space to accomodate all the people who want to eat and drink there! Some eGulleteers have noted that service can be brusque at times, though I have yet to experience that myself. Still, I think it's worth it if the wait isn't too long (and you can always have some of their good caipirinhas and mojitos at the bar while you're waiting, if the bar isn't also too mobbed for anyone to move). Expect to pay between $35 and $50 for dinner, depending on how much alcohol you get, and do not miss the Torta della Nonna for dessert. My best advice is, go early and avoid the place on weekends.

Lavagna is a slightly formal but relaxed East Village restaurant that simply couldn't have existed in this neighborhood 10 years ago (because Av. B was a no-man's land and the place would have been too upscale for the neighborhood). Described as a "Trattoria Italiana" on their website, it actually serves a mixture of Italian-influenced and nouvelle American cuisine based on fresh, high-quality ingredients, and has a good wine list. One thing that's worth noting is that they offer half portions of their Primi Piatti for half price, for those who wish to eat a full meal and are not hungry enough to have full portions of pasta or risotto. Service is gracious and helpful, and there is a view of a garden through some of the windows. Depending on how much you eat and drink, you can spend anything from the high $20s to over $50 including tip. They offer a well-priced Early Bird Special, $25 for 3 courses, from 6:00-7:15 P.M., but I've never tried it. My favorite dishes there are the Carciofi al Forno as an appetizer; the Rigatoni with Sweet Fennel and Spicy Sausage; and the Whole Wood Oven Roasted Fish for 2, Served Flambee, with Sauteed Spinach and Grape Tomato Relish. Here's their website.

Pylos is a fairly new Greek restaurant in the East Village, and it's a winner. I've been there only twice, so far, but believe that that's a sufficient basis on which to judge the place positively. It's very pleasant. The decor is interesting, with big amphorae suspended from the ceiling, but none of that stuff would matter if the food was bad and the service sucked. Happily, the food is very good and the service is friendly. It can be a problem to get in on Saturday nights, but otherwise, if you don't have reservations, you can head straight to their bar, which is a long, comfortable table with regular chairs around it. The food is very fresh and skillfully cooked, with a nice blend of flavors, and they seem serious about their wine list, which I've barely scratched the surface of, so far. Expect to spend about $30-45/person for dinner, inclusive of tip.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

My favorite restaurants are skewed toward Chinatown, Flushing, and the East Village. I'd like more contributions from people who frequent non-fancy restaurants in other parts of town.

Michael aka "Pan"

Oh, another place that probably should be on this list is Turkish Cuisine on 9th Av. in the low 40s, but I've been there only twice, and not for a few months, so I'm reluctant to write a review at this stage.

Michael aka "Pan"

Max in the east village. Pretty inexpensive southern italian, good. I'm pretty sure their pasta is homemade. Tight space, so you can hear everyone else's dinner conversation. Very fun, if you're into that. Haven't been in at least a year, but the last time I went it was great.

They don't take reservations either.

Edited by ErinB (log)

I went to Max once a few years ago and was underwhelmed. I found everything notably oversalted and otherwise merely OK, and it was too crowded to be reasonable to go back. Plus, it wasn't all that cheap for the quality of food they served.

Michael aka "Pan"

Paella's good.  I think most are in the $16 to $22 range, but it is a ton of food (I don't think anyone I've gone with has ever finished one.) 

Sorry, but I've got to disagree with this. I suppose it's acceptable if you can overlook the fact they have slighted the most important ingredient in paella--the rice. The paella I was served there was made with Uncle Ben's or something similar.....certainly not good quality short-grained rice as is absolutely required. There was also nary a hint of saffron (essential for a good paella). Naturally, I finished mine anyway! I really wanted to like it (it's a nice, comfy place)....my companion did, but he'd never been to Spain.

As for restaurants in other parts of town, let me toss La Rosita into the mix. It's a Cuban/Dominican coffee shop with a large, varied menu and has the best cafe con leche I've tried in NYC. Great cubano sandwiches, breakfast specials (for under 5 bucks, including cafe con leche) that feature rice and beans, delicious pots of soupy rice stews, and pernil on the weekends. I keep hearing it's gone downhill....I dunno. I've been going there for almost 10 years and it's the same as it's always been. It's the best option anywhere near me (I live in Morningside Heights) and you really have to work to spend more than 15 dollars here. (Broadway, between 108th and 109th St.)

And BTW Pan, I'm with you on Max's "SoHa" (gag me....). No-better-than-decent food, but always too crowded. And the last time I was there the service was so bad I won't even consider going there any more....a pity since I live literally two doors away.

My restaurant blog: Mahlzeit!

What do people think of aKa Cafe on the LES? Inexpensive, creative, consistently tasty (mmmm. . . . lamb's tongue sandwich).

Sounds intriguing! Where is it?

Michael aka "Pan"