• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colorado Kitchen

cjsadler

Was considering checking out Colorado Kitchen for brunch or burgers/dinner this Sunday. Has anyone been lately? Can anyone confirm that the burger is still available on Sunday nights (it's supposedly available only Fri lunch and Sun night)? And how are the dishes besides the burger?

Some hard to believe stories about the place here (read the comments):

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?n...&typeId=2&type=

Their website is here:

http://www.mmmmbetter.com

Chris Sadler

I've eaten at CK six or eight times in the past few months. Love the food (homestyle with a southern influence seems an apt decription) and the slightly campy decor (lots of vintage food-related curios on display). Brunch is a treat -- fresh doughnuts as good as Amernick's, although completely different in style, plus cheese grits to die for.

It's been a while since my last visit, so I can't confirm the availability of the burger on Sunday nights. I'm not certain I would order it anyway, though -- the flatiron steak, roast chicken or pork chop would probably get my vote (menu changes frequently, so these may or may not be available now).

Although many of the negative reviews in the Post Online strike me as over the top, I have found the service to be weak on average and more than once quite poor -- loooong waits, unresponsive servers, occasionally tepid food. One might expect more attention to how the staff is performing from a Chef who likens herself to Herbert von Karajan and Zubin Mehta (her open letter to Sietsema: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveo...sema043003.htm).

For me, the food and the atmosphere (plus the fact that CK makes an awesome addition to a neighborhood sorely in need of more dining-out options) will keep me going back, but I can sympathize with those who find the weak service too much to bear.

Link to open letter

PS: For a year I lived right across the street from CK ...and considering the other options in that hood (paper bag and malt liquor), I was ecstatic when they came along. I always had delicious brunches and supers there in a really cozy environment...and was never really in the mind set to be

super critical about service. To me, it was Christmas morning having that place so close.

If you go Sunday, you may even catch Randy Cole ( or maybe he just works brunch); Randy is an excellent server and is as friendly as they get.

At least we have more cheese options these days!

(see question following open letter)

Edited by morela (log)

I completely agree with the comments above. If you can tolerate mediocre-to-bad service, the food is quite excellent. The burgers are among the best I've ever had. Plus, there is a selection of bottled sodas (including Cheerwine, for example) that you probably won't find at any other restaurant in the area.

I have enjoyed all of our meals there. It's a nice neighborhood place with a well-thought out menu.If you go in without a "fine dining mindset" I think the service is fine, though a little quirky. I wish I lived right across the street--for the biscuits, if nothing else.

Bring your own buzz (not bottle).

Sunday nights aren't so bad without wine...

*You cld get a drink at 15 Ria, and it's a mostly straight uphill drive from there.

Edited by morela (log)

No alcohol, period. Ever. Even if you bring it in. Sorry CJ.

I do recommend the burger. Ask for the Maille mustard they keep in the step-in if you object to Heinz's table mustard. (This is sort of the same issue as Matchbox has with not serving mustard at all with their miniburgers. Maybe I'm the one with the problem, being a mustard snob.) I'd be surprised if they took it off the Sunday night menu. They also usually have some kind of cool butterhead lettuce salad on the menu which is worth ordering.

I would agree with the above comments about the quality of food at the Colorado Kitchen. The meal I had there was excellent, and with the restaurant mostly empty on a cold Saturday night I have to say that the service was very good, though the servers seemed monkish in their quietness (fear of Chef?). Go for the cauliflower appetizer - a revelation on cauliflower for me. The brunch is at the top of my to-do list. I did find the atmosphere somewhat stern, though, and not quite relaxing with all the rules and caveats. The individuality of the place won me over and I can't wait to go back.

Had brunch at CK on Sunday and really enjoyed it. Contrary to the WP.com comments, the staff was very friendly and the food arrived on time. Started off with some donut holes, which were hot and delicious. As mentioned in the donut thread, they are fried to perfection, making a nice, crisp outer crust. In fact, they were so good that after brunch we ordered a 'dessert' of the donut sampler (so much for New Year's resolutions...) I tried the salmon cakes benedict, which were good, though the cakes were a bit too dense for me, with too many bread crumbs. The cheese grits were fantastic. Not sure what kind of cheese is in there, maybe aged cheddar? A lot of the other plates coming out of the kitchen looked excellent, especially the fried fish. The couple next to us, like DonRocks's dining partner, were going nuts over the tartar sauce. The server divulged the recipe as I tried to listen in. Tarragon, chives, parsley, capers, and horseradish, I think. I'll be back here for dinner soon.

P.S.-- The burger is available on Sunday nights (in addition to Fri lunch), along with other dishes that aren't available during the week.

Chris Sadler

• 3 weeks later...

Made it there on Sunday to finally try the burgers. No flashy ingredients, just a really beefy hamburger served with a side of excellent onion rings. Delicious-- made me realize just how bland most hamburgers taste. Unfortunately, the roasted beet appetizer we ordered was mostly raw. Too bad, 'cause the roasted garlic dressing on it was nice. They seemed a little short staffed, with only one waiter working the entire floor (and it was pretty busy), but we got our food in a reasonable amount of time.

Chris Sadler

He wanted KFC; I wanted CFK. The decision was made by fiat.

My son got in the car and said:

"It smells like Play-Doh in here."

"I think it's more like Socrates."

"Huh?"

"Never mind." (*)

We ordered bacon and eggs, and I asked if they could fix the plates so I'd have four eggs and he'd have two. The server replied, "I don't think she's going to do that," and so the request never went past our table. But the chef fries her eggs in a tiny frying pan, a perfect size for three, and both orders came out perfectly cooked and shaped.

Two eggs were sitting in a frying pan. One egg says to the other egg, "Whew! Sure is getting hot in here!" The other egg goes, "AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! A TALKING EGG!!!!!"

Have you ever been anywhere rural, possibly in a mountainous area, thinking you have finally found a place that will have The Ultimate Homestyle Breakfast, and then you order the pancakes and they smell like Crisco? Well, Colorado Kitchen is that rural diner you dream of, right here in Washington, but without any of that Crisco-nastiness: the food is honest, clean and delicious.

But perhaps the next logical step should be to remove the salt, pepper and ketchup from the tables, and maybe even the sugar and the cream because the coffee should be presented just as the chef wants it to be, damn it!

I love Colorado Kitchen, and I love Gillian Clark's chutzpah and craftsmans pride. The Washington area could (no, should!) support twenty neighborhood restaurants like this. And may they all be reincarnated as nematodes for not having liquor licenses.

Cheers,

Rocks.

(*) It runs in the family. My brother told his daughter for her birthday that there was going to be a new Toyota sitting in the garage. On the morning of her birthday, she woke up and sprinted down to the garage, opened the door, turned on the light, and sitting there on a chair was ... a new toy Yoda! I don't think it went over very well.

P.S. Try the shrimp and grits!

Edited by DonRocks (log)

• 4 months later...

I don't want to make a habit of posting every piece of restaurant news that comes along, but for those who might be interested in subscribing, Colorado Kitchen (www.mmmmbetter.com) has a highly entertaining mailing list. With their permission, I repost the latest distribution here.

I'm also intrigued about the mention of the "DC Originals," and will pass along more information (probably in a separate thread) when I receive it.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Hey Everyone,

Chef has made a couple of changes to the menu so we thought we'd give you a heads up.  The salmon, pork chop and meatloaf all have a new look.  You'll find things a little cooler and lighter for the warmer weather.  Rockfish season has come to an end, but changes to the pacific fishing rules has brought us plenty of Halibut.  We'll have some fun while it lasts.  We hope you come in and try it.  Chef is treating it like a big ol' scallop and wrapping it in bacon...yes, it is as good as it sounds.

Chef and Robin cheated on their diet (hey, somebody has to make sure its all tasting good) and discovered a great variation on the already popular waffle sundae.  Come in and try it with the coconut sorbet....tastes just like an Almond Joy.

In case some of you are not aware, Colorado Kitchen is one of the area's many Independently owned and operated restaurants.  Places like ours have gotten together and formed a group known as the DC Originals.  DCO will be launching a summer promotion starting July 4th called Passport to the City.  Look for your "Passport" when you come in.  It will invite you to patronize some of the areas best independent restaurants for a chance to win a Viking Range for your home and have the chef of your choice cook dinner for you and 5 guests on this beautiful professional-quality stove.

And finally, mark your calendars.  We will be serving Brunch on Sunday, July 4th but will be closing for the evening.  We will not be serving dinner on Sunday, July 4th.

See you soon,

Chef & Robin

does it come across as arrogant to anyone else that gillian refers to herself as Chef?

i mean c'mon, lighten up, lady!

you can have your fellow cooks call you "Chef" if you want, but to go signing newsletters and such with "Chef" is just a tad bit arrogant...not even Chef Gillian, or Chef Clark....

just my .02$

Edited by pastramionrye (log)

Nothing quite like a meal with my beautiful wife.

does it come across as arrogant to anyone else that gillian refers to herself as Chef?

Maybe she has a secret hankerin' to guest star on South Park? :laugh:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

As far as I'm concerned, Chef Clark is welcome to appoint herself Lordy Lordy Ain't She Wonderful El Generalissimo Queen Of The Wild Frontier as long as she keeps turning out meals like I had last night. Started with the tomato, mozzarella and basil gallette, moved on to the pork chop (perfectly cooked, as always, LLASWEGQOTWF has a dab hand at the stove, that's for sure) with black and blueberries and my very first encounter with hoe cakes. Where have you been all my life, you delightful hoes? All lacy-crispy-crunchy at the edges and thickening to a soft, perfectly gritty cornmealy center. Ideal for mopping up mingled pork and blackberry juice. And when I got home, I got to replay dinner in my head while sinking the Dogfish Head IPA that would have made it all perfect. Did you know that Birch Beer actually isn't beer at all? Psych!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Robin (General Manager at Colorado Kitchen) contacted me about this, and gave me permission to post her comments.

Fess up, how many of you really knew Gillian was pronounced with a hard G? Be glad her last name isn't Zyeland.

--------

"Was doing a little "Colorado Kitchen" surfing and ran across your eGullet post regarding our email blast. I thought I'd just put out there, for the record, that Gillian never intended to rename herself "Chef". The name Chef is just easier for the multitudes that can't pronounce Gillian...mostly the staff. You'd be amused to hear folks trying to form a hard G sound with their mouths. After repeating "Gillian" for the third time she goes back to 'Chef'."

Robin (General Manager at Colorado Kitchen) contacted me about this, and gave me permission to post her comments.

Fess up, how many of you really knew Gillian was pronounced with a hard G? Be glad her last name isn't Zyeland.

--------

"Was doing a little "Colorado Kitchen" surfing and ran across your eGullet post regarding our email blast. I thought I'd just put out there, for the record, that Gillian never intended to rename herself "Chef". The name Chef is just easier for the multitudes that can't pronounce Gillian...mostly the staff. You'd be amused to hear folks trying to form a hard G sound with their mouths. After repeating "Gillian" for the third time she goes back to 'Chef'."

But the email list is not for employees, is it? Neither is it read out loud...

• 3 weeks later...

After all the hue & cry at washingtonpost.com, I was looking forward to visiting Colorado Kitchen but also a bit apprehensive. I went with a friend on a Sunday night and it was FABULOUS! The burger and crabcakes are both worth the trip.

The service was great and everyone was friendly. (I wondered if Gillian Clark has read all the bad press and given the staff a lesson or two?) Of course, we arrived at about 5:30pm. At about 10 minutes to 7pm, though, it was as if the dinner bell rang and people began flooding into the place!!

As for the "controversy," I say more power to her! Every restaurant can't be all things to all people and if her food is not to one's taste, well, there are a zillion others. I thought the food was really special and it's obvious a lot of attention, thinking, and hard work has gone into it.

I especially liked the "old-fashioned" desserts. When was the last time you saw pineapple upside-down cake or real strawberry shortcake on a menu?

I especially liked the "old-fashioned" desserts. When was the last time you saw pineapple upside-down cake or real strawberry shortcake on a menu?

I'd like to try this restaurant.

In response to your question, Bardeo is serving a great rendition of strawberry shortcake.

• 1 month later...

Oh the catfish

Is a fat fish,

That some consider lowly

And has caught on rather slowly.

But when it's properly fried,

It cannot be denied,

That it's nice to have inside.

(Fried catfish sandwich with fresh-cut, fresh-fried, burn-your-fingers-hot potato chips and nearly narcotic tartar sauce. Only at CK. Only at Friday lunch. And soon, with real beer!)

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news on the Colorado Kitchen liquor license front -- there were no objections at their recent public hearing so you should be able to have real drink with your dinner starting the week after next. As for dinner itself, there have been some nice autumnal dishes showing up lately, including a very savory cod chowder and, last night, a monkfish schnitzel served with braised cabbage and little fluffy dumplings in a sherry-spiked pan sauce. So. Damn. Good.