• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bourdain Tribe

Stone

Bourdain aside, I think the whole "tribe" thing is kinda weird. I started surfing that site and here is a tribe obsessed with the number 23.

And they already have 119 members!

What is weirder than that?

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

I wonder how the Ruffians would do if they squared off vs. the Tribe in some sort of fan group melee :wink::biggrin:

=R=

You would kick their _____________ :biggrin:

Edited by hillvalley (log)

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Bourdain aside, I think the whole "tribe" thing is kinda weird. I started surfing that site and here is a tribe obsessed with the number 23.

And they already have 119 members!

What is weirder than that?

A tribe obsessed with the number 23 isn't odd to me. The number 23 comes up in the oddest places. :biggrin:

I wonder how the Ruffians would do if they squared off vs. the Tribe in some sort of fan group melee :wink::biggrin:

=R=

You would kick their _____________ :biggrin:

Hehe....it again brings to mind the question of which kitchen knife would be best in a street fight :biggrin:

What did Tony once suggest? A scimitar?

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I don 't get it. Any of it. Isn't this what the internet's about?

If you like the number 23, and you find like-minded people Out There, hell, form a tribe! If you like Bourdain, form a tribe. Those folks don't seem any more disturbed than many of us here. Heck, I'm a Bourdain fan, and he's , literally, the reason I found eGullet, because he recommended the site somewhere.

There are plenty of worshippers at the shrine of St. Anthony, right here at eGullet. Rabid fans. More over-the top than some of the folks in his Tribe ---and I'm not talkin' bout Ronnie! By the way, Ronnie and I would have never met had we not been Bourdain fans. (Thank you Tony!) Ronnie wouldn't be the superb eGull that he is if he weren't a Bourdain fan who luckily got steered here to eGullet.

If I had the time to dig back into some old threads, I could find extremely explicit posts from women detailing exactly how they'd like to , er, cuddle up to Bourdain. That's fine! So why are we dissing these people? If you like Bourdain, they're buying his books and spreading the word.

Ronnie rocks. Let's form a Ronnie Tribe.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

If you like the number 23, and you find like-minded people Out There, hell, form a tribe!

i have a tribe. everyone seems pretty cool and normal and like-minded. it's one of my most favorite places on the internet.

See: There ya go! (I'm a tribal member.)

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

If you like the number 23, and you find like-minded people Out There, hell, form a tribe!

i have a tribe. everyone seems pretty cool and normal and like-minded. it's one of my most favorite places on the internet.

:biggrin: hehe :smile:

=R=

hey ronnie

i say the more places we can talk about tony the better it is for everyone.  tribe, fan club, mutual admiration society, clique, call it whatcha want.  if we're talkin' about mr. B. then all is well with the world!!!!!

bon

I agree Bon--the more the merrier. I was only joking about taking scimitar to The Tribe...I swear :raz:

I hope that Season 3 of ACT finds its venue soon.

=R=

i have a tribe. everyone seems pretty cool and normal

So you say.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

ronnie

yeah i'm hoping ACT shows up somewhere soon, too. i just found out that soon i'll have the travel channel on my cable lineup. so maybe i won't have to sweat it if tony ends up there. keepin' my fingers crossed!!! i assume they couldn't call it a cook's tour tho if that was FTV's name for it. or do ya think that was New York Times Tv that called it that? well whatever the name is as long as tony's in it they can call it anything they want.

i think you ought to pose in full chef's regalia holding that famous (or infamous :rolleyes: ) scimitar for the home page. whatcha think? :laugh:

bon

ronnie

yeah i'm hoping ACT shows up somewhere soon, too.  i just found out that soon i'll have the travel channel on my cable lineup.  so maybe i won't have to sweat it if tony ends up there.  keepin' my fingers crossed!!!  i assume they couldn't call it a cook's tour tho if that was FTV's name for it.  or do ya think that was New York Times Tv that called it that?  well whatever the name is as long as tony's in it they can call it anything they want.

i think you ought to pose in full chef's regalia holding that famous (or infamous  :rolleyes:  ) scimitar for the home page.  whatcha think?    :laugh:   

bon

:biggrin:

=R=

The site does have a creepy vibe, but I think it's because you've all been a bad influence in my thinking so far...

In reference to the "Tribe" website itself,

I wonder how Tony would feel about being classified as a "Hobby & Craft"? :shock:

Can't light a match to being a "television personality".

Maybe he'd rather be considered a "habitual masturbator" :laugh:click

Spoon!

I think that almost snarky-like suggestion may be a bit out of context. :blink::wink:

But agreed about that Hobby and Craft thing. One poster comments that she makes mental notes of everything he says. Another demands to know of specific sightings... Oh my!

I think that almost snarky-like suggestion may be a bit out of context. :blink::wink:

I was joking about what he wrote in that article in the hyperlink. Sorry...didn't mean to snark...newbie alert...big Bourdain fan...

Spoon!

"Creepy" is most definitely in the eye of the beholder. Maybe there are some who think talking about food on messages boards, watching food shows on TV, cooking fancy meals, etc. is "creepy" when there are millions starving all over the world. When you see those poor, skeletal African babies covered in flies on TV, does it ever prevent you from getting that bowl of ice cream before you go to bed? See...you're a creep! We're all creeps!! :raz: Someone made reference to what the posters are saying on that Tribe board....well **so what??** Does it disturb your sleep at night or something? :rolleyes: It obviously was facinating enough to bitch about. Just like a bad TV commericial. :laugh:

Edited by Pickles (log)

You guys crack me up! Love to Ronnie and my fellow Ruffians! No, we don't take it too seriously and we've discussed keeping the Ville a place where Tony feels welcome to be one of the gang. It's about food and friendship rather than stalking. For me it's kind of like this place...I never knew there were so many other foodies out there and I love having a place to exchange info and ideas. I love egullet ! It does get a little weird when people get too much into the name game. And if we squared off ... I have no doubt the Ruffians would come out victorious!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."