• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bourdain Tribe

Stone

I don't know if I want to let these people know about eGullet and that he posts here. It seems a little too stalkerish. :unsure:

yes, I think that might be a very, very bad idea!

There were only 13 members, I think. He's got a bigger tribe here, several of whom are quite stalker-esque.

Yes, but do you really want allow the formation of a mob?

Thus far, the Bourdain worshippers here have been relatively well behaved.

Once you allow the numbers to grow significantly and gain in emotional extremes, potential problems, the darkside will cloud everything.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Funny. I had a dream about Bourdain last night. For some reason I steered a group of 8 to the DC location of Les Halles, and he was visiting. He knew one of my friends and came outside to greet us (I guess he was standing in the window like on the cover of KC, and saw us approaching). After he'd said hello to my friend I embraced him lightly and kissed him on the cheek and introduced myself. He was weirded out because he had no idea who I was. But then we went inside and he didn't bother with sending us menus, he sent us little treats and a sampling of whatever he thought was best instead. I remember I really wanted a frisee salad with bacon and a poached egg (preferably duck) but this was the one item he didn't think to send us. Everything tasted great in a homey, bistro-y way. What a weird dream. I have never eaten at the DC Les Halles, or any other Les Halles for that matter.

Uh, hope that wasn't TMI. :unsure:

Didn't one call these things "fan clubs" in the primitive days of my youth?? :rolleyes:

Yes, but that was pre-Internet when all we fans could do was write letters to our adored-ones and hope against hope they might respond with an autographed photo.

The adored-one-in-question could then promptly throw our letters away and forget about us.

Didn't one call these things "fan clubs" in the primitive days of my youth?? :rolleyes:

Yes, but that was pre-Internet when all we fans could do was write letters to our adored-ones and hope against hope they might respond with an autographed photo.

The adored-one-in-question could then promptly throw our letters away and forget about us.

Oh, I quite agree with you about the adored-one-in-question having the option of throwing our fan mail away .... but, with the new internet options, everything is so intimate and close-up ... cookies lead to cookies and then loss of privacy and then identity theft ...

Have we all become "paranoids sans frontieres"? :rolleyes:

Or are we, as Tom Ridge so deftly puts it, merely being eternally vigilant? :unsure:

I still think that this "tribe" thing is a bit extreme .... and just so very "off the proverbial wall" ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

but so could any forum.

Heck, I stalk THIS forum! :biggrin:

didn't someone here just say: "He's got a bigger tribe here, several of whom are quite stalker-esque"

I believe when it comes to forums on the Net, the best term currently in use today is "lurk" .... :unsure:

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

It does seem a bit "worship-ee" for me. Was it Groucho Marx that said "I'd never join a club that would have me as a member."?

Well, except eGullet.

I am so thankful that I somehow found my way to this site through the FoodTV , Cook's Tour site. I think it was Chric Cognac.

I am even doubly thankful that some of the other creepy "posters" didn't follow me.

Tony Bourdain is great. I've read his books and watched his show and he's helped me renew my love of all things food. He's also made me feel less ashamed to admit that I like to eat some strange f**king stuff!

But, I don't want to be in his "fan club" either. I'm not the autograph seeking type, I guess.

It's cool that he posts here and it's great that he keeps us informed as to what he's working on, or trips he's taken and the people he's met.

Tony, what's your take on this group? Let us know when the convention is and we can all show up wearing camouflage shirts and chef aprons! :biggrin:

JANE

I am even doubly thankful that some of the other creepy "posters" didn't follow me.

There are "creepy" posters on every message board, but glancing at the "tribe" it seems a thoughtful homage of a message board (that's still apparently in its embryonic stages). What's the BFD? People can't certainly stop fans from creating FAN sites, and that's all this appears to be to me. What does it have to do with Tony posting here. Maybe Tony will want to post on the Tribe...is he to only participate here and are we only to worship him on e.gullet? Someone..enlighten me. :sad: I'll worship Tony where I want to. Not sure if it's gonna be his "tribe" but..whatever...it's a free country.

Edited by Pickles (log)

:wub: Ronnie, we still love you! Having seen your site, the difference between them is that yours, while genuinely admiring Bourdain, really maintains a sense of humor and perspective about the whole thing. This one goes over the edge into "rabid" fan territory.

I dunno, as long as it isn't too extreme, why not have a fan club? It's just for fun.

Sort of a tangent, it is weird when someone you know and enjoy, becomes famous. A not terribly close friend of mine from college has had some good success in the music world. I'm never quite sure how to approach her when I see her. I don't want to seem fawning, but still like her alot. She's a cool girl and I like to hear about her exotic travelling rock musician life. Strangely enough, she seems to like hearing about my domesticity. I think she would like to have kids and do the housefrau thing if her music contracts wern't so demanding. Fame definitely is a double edged sword.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

:hmmm:

God! How lame!

Don't these people have lives?

How many times can a person watch TB roll his eyes over some plate of food before

it becomes just the same redundant bore?

One could say the same about eGullet. How much can you talk about food before it becomes the same redundant bore? :biggrin:

:wub: Ronnie, we still love you!  Having seen your site, the difference between them is that yours, while genuinely admiring Bourdain, really maintains a sense of humor and perspective about the whole thing.  This one goes over the edge into "rabid" fan territory.

Maybe I am just not seeing what you're referring to. :sad: All I see when I click the link in the first post is a page that basically has a message board about Tony with about 4 posts on it. Point me to the rabid part, please? Some of y'all are going off the deep end dissing a fan based web board? Talk about getting a life, eh? :rolleyes::raz::rolleyes:

Edited by Pickles (log)

:wub: Ronnie, we still love you!  Having seen your site, the difference between them is that yours, while genuinely admiring Bourdain, really maintains a sense of humor and perspective about the whole thing.  This one goes over the edge into "rabid" fan territory.

Thanks Cusina...I was just bein' silly...or trying to be anyway. :smile:

I wonder how the Ruffians would do if they squared off vs. the Tribe in some sort of fan group melee :wink::biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com