• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

X+Y = Sandwich

Mudpuppie

My father is a serious PB & J addict. Midnight snacking style. Very coarse whole wheat bread, the chunkiest peanut butter available and grape jelly is the favorite.

However, my mother doesn't really eat the stuff and she does the shopping, so every once in a while he runs out of a key ingredient and is forced to substitute.

Hence the birth of the PB & M (peanut butter and mustard) sandwich. EW!

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

My father was for many years an enormous food snob. He used to bug the shit out of waiters in French restaurants by ordering "rrrrrrrrat-ta-TOO-ya" -- you know, what most Americans call "rat-ta-TOO-ee." Once, when he and my stepmother and I got stranded in Hyannis late at night, he asked at the Herz counter for the name of a good local restaurant that might still be serving dinner. He returned to the car, beaming, and announced that we would be going to someplace called "Denise." :biggrin: It was, of course, Denny's. Where my stepmother and I did the sensible thing, and ordered cheeseburgers, and my insane father ordered the seafood salad, a medley of ocean-fresh seafood, crisp vegetables and our homemade tangy vinaigrette served on a bed of lettuce with olives and continental breadsticks. :biggrin: He deserved what he got.

Anyway, when I was a tot, before his hardcore snobbery had set in, he used to make my breakfast, regularly serving up his two favorite sandwiches: bologna and ketchup on white toast, and raw ground beef on Wheat Thins, crowned with a dollop of ketchup. He would deny this to his dying day, but I knows what I knows. Plus, I loved them.

Tomato sandwiches -- on white bread with gobs of Hellman's -- remain a favorite of mine. Even better if you stick in a slice of sharp cheddar, but I guess at that point they veer away from trashy. And cold leftover take-out Chinese stir-fry -- of pretty much anything -- is great on a kaiser roll. Mayo optional. My college roomate used to make sandwiches of sliced raw hot dogs on white bread with Miracle Whip and dribbles of bottled Italian dressing, but he never persuaded me to try one.

Cream cheese and ketchup on toasted, buttered rye.  It's yummy.  I think this was my invention?  :shock:

What?! No pickles?! :biggrin:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

If this thread isn't a good example of the culinary diversity of eGullet and the maxim "to each, one's own," I don't know what is.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Has anyone mentioned suger and butter sandwiches made with wonderbread?

Not sure if he used Wonderbread, but my Swedish step-grandfather used to say this was a dessert item in his native land. My mother was treated to it many a time.

Not sure if he used Wonderbread, but my Swedish step-grandfather used to say this was a dessert item in his native land. My mother was treated to it many a time.

:wub: I spent a summer at sleep away camp eating butter sugar sandwhiches on Jewish rye.

It's now a comfort food

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Tomato sandwiches -- on white bread with gobs of Hellman's -- remain a favorite of mine. 

Make it a huge sweet Jersey tomato slice (as big as the bread). Sliced purple sweet onion optional.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

...onion sandwich. You use a lot of good mayo, current favorite is Hellman's Mayonesa (made with lime juice), slice the onion paper thin. Pile onto a good white bread with salt and pepper. Sometimes we use a seasoned salt like Jane's Krazy Salt. Drink a cold beer or two while indulging. Instant nap.

Oh Lord, yes! Add as many thin slices of ripe tomato as you think you can hold on with the top slice of bread, add a goodly shake of Spike, roll up your sleeves and eat over the sink. There's no way you can put it down, so you'll have to eat it while the juice runs down your chin and arms. And you gonna have to wash your face afterwards.

...onion sandwich. You use a lot of good mayo, current favorite is Hellman's Mayonesa (made with lime juice), slice the onion paper thin. Pile onto a good white bread with salt and pepper. Sometimes we use a seasoned salt like Jane's Krazy Salt. Drink a cold beer or two while indulging. Instant nap.

Oh Lord, yes! Add as many thin slices of ripe tomato as you think you can hold on with the top slice of bread, add a goodly shake of Spike, roll up your sleeves and eat over the sink. There's no way you can put it down, so you'll have to eat it while the juice runs down your chin and arms. And you gonna have to wash your face afterwards.

Welcome Purrkins. Sounds like you know your way around a sandwich. My sister sometimes adds tomato. I am a genetic mutant. I hate raw tomato so I don't indulge in that direction. Do you find the big dose of onion makes you nappy?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

When I was young, and a bachelor, and frequently intoxicated, I made the Ultimate "Cholesterol Highball" Grilled Sandwich....

Fry half a pound of bacon. Drain the pourable fat from the pan. Butter two slices of bread; place them butter side down in the pan, fry until crisp. Remove from pan. Butter the uncooked sides. Place one in the pan, uncooked side down. Cover with as much cheese as will fit. Place the half-pound of bacon on top of the cheese. Cover the bacon with another great whack of cheese, then the second piece of bread. Fry on both sides until the outsides are crispy as well, and the cheese has melted.

Although this recipe is peanut butter free, that's probably because I was just too ripped to think of it.

This sandwich was normally consumed with the last beer left in the house, a large pickle (sometimes a large jar of pickles), and a chunk of smoked eel from the euro-deli across the way from where I lived.

This is just one example of why I'm occasionally surprised that I made it to age 40.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

A specialty of the house when I was growing up!  Served with Tang.  No wonder

we were such hyper brats. :blink:

Butter and sugar rolled in a warm tortilla, too.

My mother in-law still makes fresh tortillas every couple of days. When we visit I'm sure to get up early to catch one or two hot of the iron.

Edited by josephreese (log)

Joseph

When I was in high school a friend of mine used to spread an ungodly amount of mayo between two slices of white bread. I personally love peanut butter, jam and bacon, especially when on a split, grilled bagel. And what's a tuna sandwich without the bbq chips? I also make a crab and shrimp white bread salad, kind of like potato salad except you use chunks of white bread instead of potatoes and the day after I take it out of the fridge and put it between slices of bread much like the stuffing sandwich mentioned earlier.

I do believe my worst transgression though was about second grade when I made a tuna fish, peanut butter, cottage cheese and dill pickle sandwich. It wasn't half bad. I think it was Helen Worth's book Cooking Without Recipe's that challenged me as an adult to think beyond the box. Who the hell says peanut butter has to go with jelly? She highly encourages experimantation. There are so many brilliant combinations out there waiting to be discovered. Munch on, People!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Toast two slices of bread, spread cream cheese on one slice, top with leftover canned corned beef sauteed with garlic and onions and other slice of toast. Microwave 15 seconds and eat. I used to eat that back when I was in high school. Or maybe it was mozarella rather than cream cheese because there was definitely something white and stringy.

if it can be eaten - it can be piled on bread, covered with cheese and melted or topped with another slice of bread and grilled.

my childhood favorite was peanut butter (and butter) on toasted english muffin - topped with celophane-wrapped american cheese. it's better melty, but fake cheese seems to have 2 temperatures - molten and hard. i think i still have scars from over-eager eating.

i eat salad sandwiches at work. gross cafeteria caesar salad is vastly improved when part of this complete sandwich.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Deviled ham and cream cheese between two slices of toast. Mmmmmm. A staple in my house. Or a slice of black forest ham with a slice of Kraft Old English singles and bread n butter pickles with mayo between twp slices of toast. God, I'm getting so hungry right now.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."