• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

X+Y = Sandwich

Mudpuppie

My friends son just told me about a Sandwich [sort off] that popular at his school, that made by some students to make profit during exam times.

"Moony Tubes": These are made by purchasing a 5 pound packages of sliced american cheese, day old white bread from a bakery outlet and a #10 tin of Canned Chili. Eggs, Milk and Vegetable Oil.

They Mix the Eggs and Milk into a thin batter, quickly soak slices of the bread, put on a slice of american cheese, spread some chili on top then roll the concoction into a tube shape and put into a electric fry pan as many pieces that will fit in, brown and turn.

After browning put into a cookie sheet and place in oven at 200 degrees.

They wrap them in foil and walk them around to sell at $1.00 each and generally sell several hundred on a good night with all the profits going into a party fund.

This has been going on for years with little or no variation.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

when i'm really lazy and hungry around midnight I make a miracle whip sandwich. When I was a teenager, my parents had two peach trees and one tree was earlier than the other, so I had peaches for two months ripe off the tree. Just thinking about the peach sandwiches, on fresh home made white bread, (thick slices) with mounds of miracle whip and sliced peaches. I'm drooling, just thinking about it. I can remember the juice running down my arm, as I ate the sandwich. I lived on these in august and september. I used to eat these all day long.

Ever tried a coleslaw sandwich? About three days old is the best

I never ate potato salad until my sister"s wedding, The day after the event, at the present opening thing I pigged out on potato salad that her new mother in law made on kaiser buns. I love potato salad now. I don't know what got into me that day, must have been all that booze.

Any day old left over stir fry between two slices of bread and globs of miracle whip.

Some folks gag at this but our favorite late spring sandwich when the Texas sweet 1015 onions come in is an onion sandwich. You use a lot of good mayo, current favorite is Hellman's Mayonesa (made with lime juice), slice the onion paper thin. Pile onto a good white bread with salt and pepper. Sometimes we use a seasoned salt like Jane's Krazy Salt. Drink a cold beer or two while indulging. Instant nap.

The legendary Tookie's hamburger joint in Seabrook TX makes a burger with refried beans, onions, salsa and FRITOS! A culinary masterpiece.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Another peanut butter and pickles sandwich eater coming out of the closet . . . my husband has always been HORRIFIED at the idea, but just the other day he made one for me (must be true love :wub: ). Still haven't gotten him to try one though.

Four Spanish anchovy filets, cream cheese(or butter), very thinly sliced onion, salt and pepper, toasted whole wheat bread.

Don't kiss the missus (or anyone else) afterwards.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

my sister and i grew up eating ketchup and butter between 2 slices of white bread. i used to think we were the only ones have since discovered that many indians loved these in their childhoods.

Not just Indians! I had one of these for breakfast... yesterday! Has been a favourite of mine ever since I reached hangoverable age.

Fi

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

My wife makes peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches. Now that is wrong.

One of my favorite sandwich fillings is crunchy peanut butter mixed with a little mayo or ranch salad dressing, chopped tomatoes, crumbled bacon, diced red onion and a bit of pickle relish. It's great on rye bread.

Joseph

No, no, you've got it all wrong. The correct way is peanut butter, pickles, and bananas!

Isn't there supposed to be bacon on that thang, too?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

The mother of a childhood friend liked Easter Egg sandwiches. A thick slice of Easter Egg between two slices of white bread. I've always thought this was pretty bad, but just this week I saw a recipe for a grilled chocolate sandwich.

What next? Hershey bars on whole wheat with lettuce and tomatoe, but hold the mayo.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

The mother of a childhood friend liked Easter Egg sandwiches. A thick slice of Easter Egg between two slices of white bread. I've always thought this was pretty bad, but just this week I saw a recipe for a grilled chocolate sandwich.

What next? Hershey bars on whole wheat with lettuce and tomatoe, but hold the mayo.

Mmm. Chocolate sandwich! Dark chocolate toasted on a slice of sourdough is some good.

amanda

Googlista

list of favourite sandwiches:

peanut butter and marmite--yes yes yes!

grilled cheddar and kosher dill or even sweet dill....

Sharp cheddar and brandsten pickle with a handful of cilantro, slice of tomato

potato chips added to any sandwich esp egg salad and cress

pan bagnat what could be better

breakfast sandwich: buttered sourdough or rye toast, topped with slices of garlic or onion. this is a breakfast to wake up to. strong coffee on the side.

tuna with red pepper mayonnaise.

husband likes soft bacon sandwich on soft buttered bread (so that butter melts). i being the yank, prefer the bacon crisp, and sandwiched with lots of tomato, lettuce, and mayo.

olive, green onion and egg with mayo.

i'm so hungry and we have no bread in the house at all. in fact, we have nothing except two huge rutabagas (husband eccentric shopper, must go self). but i have a big round of pizza dough rising, and a hunk of smoked ricotta cheese given to me the other day by a little man from calabria who was about 4 feet tall and about a hundred years old. i think i might soon have the makings of some kinda sandwich. yum.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com