• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite recipes involving creamed corn

JennyUptown

I believe that Ferran Adria has used creamed corn from a tin at El Bulli.

Seriously.

And certainly freshly made creamed corn can be quite good. There are some excellent suggestions in this thread.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I believe that Ferran Adria has used creamed corn from a tin at El Bulli.

Seriously.

And certainly freshly made creamed corn can be quite good. There are some excellent suggestions in this thread.

Corn Foam? MMMMMMM

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Hmmm...it's probably too late for Jenny, but I DO have this recipe for knock-down drag-out creamed corn. It's a lot like Mayhaw's recipe, but with some cream, bacon (!), some cilantro, and a few grape tomatos added. Shallots AND garlic actually, but you can use whatever sulfurous veg you like. And like Al_Dente suggested, it has jalepenos, too. Add other chilis if you like those better; it just needs the suggestion of heat.

Heaven. Or at least Cloud #9.

How about posting some recipes, folks? Bleachboy? Knicke?

I have never given homemade creamed corn a second thought before. Afterall, it already comes in a can. But if we can get some recipes posted I'd be willing to give it a try when corn season rolls around again.

What say you?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Toliver, gotta find it and put it in 'eGullet format', but I'd be happy to post mine! Hopefully will get to it sometime this week.

Yes, 'it already comes in a can', but it's a whole different animal made from scratch. A bit of a pain to cut off all those kernels, but sooo worth it...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

Yes, 'it already comes in a can', but it's a whole different animal made from scratch.

Yes, I would think it would be or would hope that it would be.

A bit of a pain to cut off all those kernels, but sooo worth it...

I'll put a positive spin on it and will say that it'll give me a chance to practice my knife skills learned in the eGCI Knife Skills class. :wink:

Tim Oliver

pssst... Jenny, you didn't get this from me, but if you add a can of creamed corn (the smaller size) to this recipe and make it in a 10" skillet instead of an 8" it is really tasty.

The mom in me is always trying to figure out sneaky ways to add vegetables to my kids' diets and that is one of my favorites. Right up there with edamame in the pasta.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

pssst... Jenny, you didn't get this from me, but if you add a can of creamed corn (the smaller size) to this recipe and make it in a 10" skillet instead of an 8" it is really tasty. 

I've done something like this. Start with a basic cornbread recipe, added a small can of creamed corn and an extra egg, a small diced onion (sweated) and a minced jalapeno. You may have to add a bit more liquid to get the consistency right.

Bake at 350/375-ish (whereas I usually bake cornbread at 400/425-ish). The result is moister than standard cornbread, kinda spoonbready. Not bad at all.

I can't abide the stuff straight from the can.

I think it's good if you bake it in a cast iron skillet with a little maple syrup until it gets thick and bubbly.  Maybe 40 minutes at 350.

Now that sounds like wintery comfort food!

Hmmm, now why did reading "cast iron skillet" make me think you were going to add bacon to that?

Mmmm...bacon. :wub:

Tim Oliver

oh yum, I'm going to try that! Yet another use for Neuskes bacon... which, by the way, was rated this week by the NYT as the second tastiest bacon in the country.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Keller has a great method for basic creamed corn in FLCB. Remove kernels from a few heads of corn. Whizz half in a blender with a tablespoon or so of water to get the process going. Strain and discard the solids. Add the reserved kernels to the strained juice and heat gently. The starch in the juice will cause it to thicken. Simmer gently for three minutes. From here on you can add bacon or whatever, but the base is, well, pure corn.

Gerhard Groenewald

www.mesamis.co.za

Wilderness

Creamed corn made from Cope's Dried Sweet Corn is out of this world.

This is an intriguing site and product but I don't quite get how you use it. Can you explain it a bit?

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray