• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite recipes involving creamed corn

JennyUptown

Take a look in some of the "Thanksgiving" threads. I think some of them had corn puddings and other similar recipes.

Creamed corn. :wub:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Creamed corn is one of those things that The Guy buys and I send to school with the Spawn when they're doing a food drive for the needy.

Blech.

Pish-posh!

It was one of the highlights of my culinary youth, especially with oodles of metled butter added in.:blush: But then, what isn't great with oodles of butter melted in?

(Memo to my Mom: "Pssst...Corn is a starch, not a veggie"). :laugh:

Edited to add my "But then..."

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

O.K. This is a little embarrassing to admit, but I have always loved the stuff. Now that you can get the rolls of cut corn out of the frozen produce section (a really good thing, I quit canning the same thing because the frozen is just as good).

I know that this could come out of some bad cookbook, but just trust me:

Equal Parts of (2 cans of each is about right for 10 people)

Creamed Yellow Corn

White Kernel Corn

Yellow Kernel Corn

Large White Hominy

Small Jar Pimientos

2 Cloves garlic-minced

Salt and Pepper to taste

Put into a Pyrex Baking dish and bake at 350F for 30 min.

I know, I know. But you just have to trust me on this one. I got all the way through college eating this stuff and have continued to eat it on occasion.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

My absolute favorite "breakfast" food growing up was corn fritters. The recipe was out of a Bisquick cookbook my mom had. I suspect it's pancake batter with creamed corn, then deep fried in balls - pour syrup on top. They weigh a ton, but I'd kill for them. Of course, my mom detests frying (messes up her stove....), and I'm...umm...scared of deep frying (I know, I know, but I *always* get splattered just sauteing stuff, and I don't have the space to store a fryer), so I haven't had them in years. But I still dream about them. :smile:

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

Creamed Yellow Corn

White Kernel Corn

Yellow Kernel Corn

Large White Hominy

Small Jar Pimientos

2 Cloves garlic-minced

Salt and Pepper to taste

I can almost fathom this being good. Especially if you replaced the pimientos with some minced fresh jalapenos.

And make the White Kernel and Yellow Kernel FRESH.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

My absolute favorite "breakfast" food growing up was corn fritters. The recipe was out of a Bisquick cookbook my mom had. I suspect it's pancake batter with creamed corn, then deep fried in balls - pour syrup on top. They weigh a ton, but I'd kill for them. Of course, my mom detests frying (messes up her stove....), and I'm...umm...scared of deep frying (I know, I know, but I *always* get splattered just sauteing stuff, and I don't have the space to store a fryer), so I haven't had them in years. But I still dream about them. :smile:

You know, I always wondered how my Nana made those...

I did some improvising in the kitchen and I'm not sure if I should post the story here or in the thread about "mistakes I won't make again."

I scrambled two eggs with a fork, added some heavy cream, salt & pepper.

Then I added in a tsp each of baking powder and all-purpose flour, plus a dash of salt. Finally I poured in a can of corn (not creamed, in the end).

But I forgot to add some butter!! Such a shame. It was as I was taking the golden brown pudding-minus-butter out of the over that it hit me.

The corn concoction tasted ok (better than most of my improv work) with some butter melted on top, but would have been great with butter mixed in pre-baking.

:sad:

I second the corn fritters. They're really good fried in bacon grease, and make a decent side dish alongside pork chops. You can add scallions if you like, and a bit of cheddar might not be entirely unwelcome. Or for breakfast add blueberries and pour on the maple syrup. Really. mmmmmm

Creamed Yellow Corn

White Kernel Corn

Yellow Kernel Corn

Large White Hominy

Small Jar Pimientos

2 Cloves garlic-minced

Salt and Pepper to taste

I can almost fathom this being good. Especially if you replaced the pimientos with some minced fresh jalapenos.

And make the White Kernel and Yellow Kernel FRESH.

If it is all fresh (except hominy, which I have never seen fresh) it is Awsome. I was merely suggesting a use for some stray cream corn. I was not implying that it was anything close to haute cuisine :raz::laugh:

Creamed corn is one of those things that The Guy buys and I send to school with the Spawn when they're doing a food drive for the needy.

Blech.

no kidding. I was looking in the cupboard the other day for regular corn and found 8!!! cans large and small of the stuff. It's my husband's comfort food. That and lumpy mashed potatoes and salisbury steak. I don't make any of the three. refuse on principle. I hate the stuff. It always goes to the food drive. But the last xmas hamper I had to donate towards, i just couldn't bring myself to inflict this stuff on the needy family.

OMGWTFILCC!

Frankly, I'm aghast at the number of eGulleters claiming they don't like creamed corn. Do you mean, creamed corn from a can? Because homemade creamed corn has got to be one of the most delicious substances in the universe. Especially if you know somebody that grows corn.

As for the canned stuff, it does have one redeeming quality. It reminds me how staggeringly delicious homemade creamed corn is. And that makes it OK in my book.

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

OMGWTFILCC!

Frankly, I'm aghast at the number of eGulleters claiming they don't like creamed corn. Do you mean, creamed corn from a can? Because homemade creamed corn has got to be one of the most delicious substances in the universe. Especially if you know somebody that grows corn.

As for the canned stuff, it does have one redeeming quality. It reminds me how staggeringly delicious homemade creamed corn is. And that makes it OK in my book.

Bleachboy,

Perhaps we could get more takers if we suggested a "Sautee of Creamed Corn with Fois Gras and Shaved White Truffles" (I believe black truffles would be overdoing it a bit) :raz::laugh:

Perhaps we could get more takers if we suggested a "Sautee of Creamed Corn with Fois Gras and Shaved White Truffles" (I believe black truffles would be overdoing it a bit)

Dude, I ate grits with shaved white truffles just last night. Seriously! One year wedding anniversary.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Perhaps we could get more takers if we suggested a "Sautee of Creamed Corn with Fois Gras and Shaved White Truffles" (I believe black truffles would be overdoing it a bit)

Dude, I ate grits with shaved white truffles just last night. Seriously! One year wedding anniversary.

:biggrin::biggrin:

And I just got through telling someone "Man, that fusion food thing is so yesterday". Wrong again :angry::wink:

How good were the grits? Yellow or white? Course or fine? Plain or Cheese? C'mon-we wanna know!

How good were the grits? Yellow or white? Course or fine? Plain or Cheese? C'mon-we wanna know!

They were coarse yellow grits, very creamy and possibly with a very creamy cheese, but the predominant flavors were very straightforward - corn and truffles. Totally out of sight! The chef told me where he had got the grits, and the grits had a name ("Anson Mills"), so they were some Fancy Grits. :biggrin:

They were served with a Niman Ranch pork chop and a "slaw" (?) of braised pork belly, black-eyed peas, and carrots.

That was at The Capitol Grille last night - the chef there is a genius at some kind of "Southern fusion," if there is such a thing.

Marissa had a white truffle mac 'n' cheese that was freaking awesome too.

I guess it was eat-a-starch-with-truffles night!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

That was at The Capitol Grille last night - the chef there is a genius at some kind of "Southern fusion," if there is such a thing.

I believe that "Grits and Truffles" proves that there is indeed, "such a thing".

Glad you enjoyed the meal. I know that you were looking forward to it. Happy Anniversary!

except hominy, which I have never seen fresh

The canned has a rubbery quality that is a little off-putting. The dried is much better, like a dry bean. You cook it 3 hours in water and then it explodes like damp popcorn. The leftovers freeze well (still better than canned) and you can grind it in the food processor for great grits.

I am addicted to the stuff.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

Perhaps we could get more takers if we suggested a "Sautee of Creamed Corn with Fois Gras and Shaved White Truffles" (I believe black truffles would be overdoing it a bit) :raz::laugh:

Now that sounds like reverse snobbism to me.

I don't like lima beans either ... so sue me! :raz::laugh:

Hmmm...it's probably too late for Jenny, but I DO have this recipe for knock-down drag-out creamed corn. It's a lot like Mayhaw's recipe, but with some cream, bacon (!), some cilantro, and a few grape tomatos added. Shallots AND garlic actually, but you can use whatever sulfurous veg you like. And like Al_Dente suggested, it has jalepenos, too. Add other chilis if you like those better; it just needs the suggestion of heat.

Heaven. Or at least Cloud #9.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.